MCU: The Amazing Disappearing Daredevil!

Rhom

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well, the MK finale was more traditional MCU - big CGI fight, though not crammed like other such scenes, and ultimately still about the main character. The episode could have done more with exploring the Egyptian god pantheon.

Hide contents

But it's weird to kill off the main villain and finally show the 3rd personality in a post-credit scene.

I also don't understand why the other avatars were so weak. Maybe it's because the gods are not actively present on Earth so the avatars only have a tenuous connection to the them and thus limited power. And why didn't Harrow get a nifty costume when he became Ammit's avatar? Clearly the mark of a villain goddess, cheapen on the rewards you give your servants. :P

That being said, this show has been surprisingly much better than expected and I look forward to seeing more of these characters.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here, though I'll add:

Spoiler

I don't really understand how they were supposed to have "balanced their scales" or "filled their hearts" or whatever for Marc to get in to paradise and find peace if there's an extra murder-y secret third alter who's been in there the whole time.

2 minutes ago, Poobah said:

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here, though I'll add:

Hide contents

I don't really understand how they were supposed to have "balanced their scales" or "filled their hearts" or whatever for Marc to get in to paradise and find peace if there's an extra murder-y secret third alter who's been in there the whole time.

Spoiler

My theory on Jake is that he only came about after Marc became MK. I think Khonshu may have had a hand in creating Jake to do the things that even Marc would balk at. So Jake may only come out because Marc is MK, thus when he was dead, he was locked away as we've seen in the mental hospital and not a real part of Marc, as Marc had already lost his powers before he died.

On Layla

Spoiler

So it appears that she is now Scarlet Scarab, but from what I see online completely different from the original comics Scarlet Scarab, who is a contemporary of Steve Rogers in the WWII days.

And the name doesn't really fit, as there's nothing scarlet about her costume or the source of how powers. I feel that Golden Scarab would work better, or just change to something that fits with the aspects of Taweret.

1 minute ago, sologdin said:

so, is egyptian theology basically 'correct' in the MCU, or is it all just in-your-head alien magic?

Yep it's correct. But it can still be interpreted as aliens. Remember Arthur C. Clarke's statement about advanced technology and magic.

Spoiler

Steven cheering "Hippo!" cracked me up. I'm not really sure what to make of an alien/god with an alligator head. Like what does that suggest about alligators?

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

On Layla

Hide contents

So it appears that she is now Scarlet Scarab, but from what I see online completely different from the original comics Scarlet Scarab, who is a contemporary of Steve Rogers in the WWII days.

And the name doesn't really fit, as there's nothing scarlet about her costume or the source of how powers. I feel that Golden Scarab would work better, or just change to something that fits with the aspects of Taweret.

Spoiler

How much does it really need to fit the aspect of Tawenet? The costume has wings, which last I checked weren't a feature of hippos.

Love and Thunder, we know, will feature the Greek pantheon and yeah, here we have the Egyptian, and I think the MCU is now going to follow the comics in basically just not addressing whether these beings are really gods or whether they're aliens or what they are. They're just there, accept it and move on. All these gods co-exist and at the same time there's a Christian God but he won't be appearing in this film. Nor will any other deities that people still worship and whose followers might get mad if the Hulk punches them in the face.

@Corvinus85 and @Poobah are both in my head about the finale. Pretty solid, though the post credit scene was out of the blue (what happened, not the appearance). 

During the credits leading up to the post-credit scene (which I wasn't sure would be there) I was talking to my wife about the third sarcophagus and the three faces of Issac in the credits. Sure enough....   

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Do we want a spoiler topic for Multiverse of Madness? Good film that.

Yes, because I'm sure I'm not the only one not seeing it opening weekend (schedules and all that). I know spoilers are all out and being cross posted. Keeping MoM spoilers to it's own thread would be appreciated. :love:

5 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

Steven cheering "Hippo!" cracked me up. I'm not really sure what to make of an alien/god with an alligator head. Like what does that suggest about alligators?

Spoiler

I do like Steven's delight whenever he discovers something new about Egyptian mythology.

I think it's a Nile crocodile, there were several Egyptian deities who were part-crocodile.

I enjoyed the finale. Possibly the ending of it felt a little bit rushed and having the post-credits scene being so crucial to the plot felt a bit odd. It did have the traditional Marvel CGI fight, but at least there wasn't any horde of faceless CGI drone cannon fodder this time and I liked that it went back to the first episode's approach and skipped the end of the fight, leaving Mark/Stephen wondering what had happened.

Overall I think Moon Knight has been a really fun show with a couple of good performances from Oscar Isaac and a storyline that did manage to feel fresh. I don't think it would have lost anything if it hadn't been part of the MCU, I'm not sure they even referenced anything from the other movies/shows?

33 minutes ago, williamjm said:
  Hide contents

Overall I think Moon Knight has been a really fun show with a couple of good performances from Oscar Isaac and a storyline that did manage to feel fresh. I don't think it would have lost anything if it hadn't been part of the MCU, I'm not sure they even referenced anything from the other movies/shows?

Very little. The biggest one was Taweret mentioning the ancestral plane, which is where the dead Wakandans go. There was a sign on a bus in episode 1 or 2 indicating that the show took place post Endgame. 

Enjoyed it as well. Liked all the things others here mentioned.  Just enough CGI fighty stuff at the end without going over.  Just a smidge of the Legion-like “Did this really happen?”

One tidbit from the ending credit scene.  You know how Stephen came about because of the cheesy B movie Indiana Jones.  Well…

Spoiler

The license plate on Jakes limo said SPKTR.  Which I have to think is a reference to SPECTRE the James Bond organization and that Jake is a personality derived as a spy movie hitman.

I highly doubt that he was created by the Moon Knight persona as suggested here.  I tend to agree with the idea posited a couple weeks ago by someone that it was Jake who killed Layla’s dad and company.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

Love and Thunder, we know, will feature the Greek pantheon and yeah, here we have the Egyptian, and I think the MCU is now going to follow the comics in basically just not addressing whether these beings are really gods or whether they're aliens or what they are. They're just there, accept it and move on. All these gods co-exist and at the same time there's a Christian God but he won't be appearing in this film. Nor will any other deities that people still worship and whose followers might get mad if the Hulk punches them in the face.

Technically the Christian God would be The One Above All I guess, who is the over God of all the little g gods and all the other cosmically powerful entities I would think. Whether TOAA ever makes an appearance or gets a mention in the MCU will be interesting. They are surely too powerful to really make any meaningful appearance in the MCU, since if they ever did it would be a total deus ex machina moment. Similarly the Living tribunal I suppose.

I didn't know anything about MK in the literature to really feel satisfied with how it ended. It felt rather deus ex machina itself. Oscar Isaac is brilliant though, dare I say it wasted if he's confined to the small screen.

Leyla looks like Isis to me (or at least the Smite rendition of her), but I get why the MCU may probably never use that name in our lifetimes. First the Downton Abbey dog gets killed off, and now the MCU is slightly gagged in its freedom to use the whole Egyptian pantheon.

Yeah Moon Knight has been a pleasant surprise. Oscar Isaac is simply a very good actor and elevated the whole thing making it very watchable. Stephen is a character I will always enjoy seeing.

I even enjoyed the fights in the finale and the CGI. Unlike other Marvel properties it didn’t feel like it was tacked on because Marvel demands it, this one felt organic and deserved and wasn’t over the top.

My only criticism is that actually the series felt too short. I like that it didn’t stretch on forever like Luke Cage and the Netflix shows,  but maybe a couple more episodes would allow for a bit more depth. It just felt a bit like the whole story was compressed.. we are just getting to know everyone and bang! It’s all over. 

17 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well, the MK finale was more traditional MCU

Hide contents

But it's weird to kill off the main villain and finally show the 3rd personality in a post-credit scene.

I also don't understand why the other avatars were so weak. Maybe it's because the gods are not actively present on Earth so the avatars only have a tenuous connection to the them and thus limited power.

Spoiler

I think Harrow said something about them being judges, not warriors? Much like Marc would have no trouble wiping the floor with Steven (at least early on) even though they have exactly the same power. And Harrow was thoroughly defeated at the end, so his post-credit fate wasn't that big a deal.

It did seem strange that Marc was able to balance his heart in episode 5 without addressing the third personality, though.

Archived