MCU: The Amazing Disappearing Daredevil!

Rhom

I was also thinking it could have used another episode or two. Maybe one focused on Harrow showing some of his time as Moon Knight and how he broke with Konshu in favor of Ammit. Hawke was good but they probably could have done a better job selling his motivation.

I still wonder who Stephen was leaving those voicemails to?

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Enjoyed it as well. Liked all the things others here mentioned.  Just enough CGI fighty stuff at the end without going over.  Just a smidge of the Legion-like “Did this really happen?”

One tidbit from the ending credit scene.  You know how Stephen came about because of the cheesy B movie Indiana Jones.  Well…

Hide contents

The license plate on Jakes limo said SPKTR.  Which I have to think is a reference to SPECTRE the James Bond organization and that Jake is a personality derived as a spy movie hitman.

I highly doubt that he was created by the Moon Knight persona as suggested here.  I tend to agree with the idea posited a couple weeks ago by someone that it was Jake who killed Layla’s dad and company.

Spoiler

I think it's more likely to be because Marc's last name is Spector

Yea great finale. No problem with it being a big fight because we haven’t actually seen much of MK in action, and he and Laila looked badass. Well choreographed stuff I thought. This is definitely the most successful execution of a vision, if that makes sense, of the Disney shows. Feels like somebody made the exact show they set out to.

I’m quite intrigued by MK showing up in other stuff, pretty interesting to have someone who could potentially be heroic BUT that’s only if you get Steven or Marc (and even Marc seems to act more selfishly), not murderous Jake, and that’s if Konshu signs off on it and allows use of the suit. Not somebody you can just call up for help without some serious caveats.

17 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Very little. The biggest one was Taweret mentioning the ancestral plane, which is where the dead Wakandans go. There was a sign on a bus in episode 1 or 2 indicating that the show took place post Endgame. 

I remember that line but hadn't made the connection with Black Panther.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

My only criticism is that actually the series felt too short. I like that it didn’t stretch on forever like Luke Cage and the Netflix shows,  but maybe a couple more episodes would allow for a bit more depth. It just felt a bit like the whole story was compressed.. we are just getting to know everyone and bang! It’s all over. 

I think it could easily have had another couple of episodes, although perhaps better to have too few than too many.

I gotta say I did like Loki better, but yeah in general the Disney+ shows have been a good idea taking on more interesting tones and more varied beats than the movies. And I did enjoy that this one was self-contained- the other shows so far have been direct links out of and back into the movies, obviously, but really you could watch this without seeing any MCU at all. 

So two thoughts

Moon Knight 

Spoiler

I thought it was mostly ok, I liked that they hand waved the big fight at the end.  A side note however not really involved with the show other than one line.r I did find Disney's pandering offputting in this one.  Specifically the little girl to Layla saying "Oh we have an Egyptian superhero?" I mean yes that it is someone from Egypt and from a mythology from thousands of years ago in Egypt but does it reflect Egyptians at all to make it so important to a kid like that?  No.

Dr Strange 2 movie spoilers 

Spoiler

So this my theory on how this movie was made: Disney execs saw Aquaman and being like we need something like that, just nuts and fun.  One director couldn't do it so they thought they needed an old hand like Howard on Solo and then asked Raimi.  He said "Can I make Evil Dead in Marvel?"  Disney execs were busy counting money and didn't pay attention and said sure.  And this is that. 

This is easily the most Raimi thing Raimi has done obviously since like Drag me to Hell but I would say even Army of Darkness.  It very much is trying to BE Army of Darkness.  But it is a mess of a movie.  I enjoyed the hell out of it for the Raimi aspects but yeah what an actual mess.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

So two thoughts

Moon Knight 

Hide contents

I thought it was mostly ok, I liked that they hand waved the big fight at the end.  A side note however not really involved with the show other than one line.r I did find Disney's pandering offputting in this one.  Specifically the little girl to Layla saying "Oh we have an Egyptian superhero?" I mean yes that it is someone from Egypt and from a mythology from thousands of years ago in Egypt but does it reflect Egyptians at all to make it so important to a kid like that?  No.

Regarding the girl and the Egyptian superhero line: I actually liked that bit. In a world with Avengers and baby gods rising out of the ocean, it'd be a pretty significant realization that my small area of the world now also has a protector.  Everyone needs a hero.

46 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Saw a comment on reddit saying Iron Man 1 can't be in the Earth-616 because Rhodey is obviously a variant.

So does that mean Ed Norton or Mark Ruffalo is the Hulk variant?

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Regarding the girl and the Egyptian superhero line: I actually liked that bit. In a world with Avengers and baby gods rising out of the ocean, it'd be a pretty significant realization that my small area of the world now also has a protector.  Everyone needs a hero.

In universe this particular hero would be catastrophic to the region. It would definitely prove Mohammed wrong.

Out of universe if Egypt has a superhero they should be Muslim.

18 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

In universe this particular hero would be catastrophic to the region. It would definitely prove Mohammed wrong.

No more than the existence of Thor, surely? And if one is giving serious consideration to religion in this universe then  you'd think that religious leaders around earth would have given some kind of opinion on all of the dimensional and mythical shenanigans that've been going on on screen for the past couple of decades by now. Though really MCU earth wouldn't look anything so conveniently like the present day if all there've been a zillion alien species, extra-dimensional beings, and possibly actual gods at least with a little g if not a big one all meddling with human affairs since time immemorial anyway.

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Out of universe if Egypt has a superhero they should be Muslim.

Mohammad was supposed to be a prophet for humans and jinn.  I think a lot of Marvel goings on could be incorporated into Islamic theology with "yep, jinn". Thor? Jinn. Khonshu? Weird skull-headed jinn. Rocket? Small furry bad-mannered jinn. 

Disclaimer: Haven't seen Moon Knight yet. Once my Apple TV runs out, I might take out Disney again. 

I mean it’s not surprising that Disney is  not going to touch the religious fallout to having a bunch of god like characters appear on Earth. Too much controversy there! 

Even the Egyptian mythology , suggesting you go to Egyptian version of the afterlife after death, is pushing it a bit.

It did make me realise that the world must be a bit confused that all these super heroes seem to be mainly hanging out in places like New York, or simply be American. Obviously there is  Wakanda and a few other exceptions but you’d think people would be asking questions!

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It did make me realise that the world must be a bit confused that all these super heroes seem to be mainly hanging out in places like New York, or simply be American. Obviously there is  Wakanda and a few other exceptions but you’d think people would be asking questions!

You just wait until we get an Alpha Flight movie!

On 5/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, Myrddin said:

To be honest, that line and the car rescue felt like reshoots to me, for some reason. I could be completely wrong, but that's the feeling I got from them.

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

suggesting you go to Egyptian version of the afterlife after death

Taweret commented to the effect that people turning up there is a pretty rare occurrence, which suggests that it was him dying while dedicated to Khonshu that sent him in to the duat, not that everyone goes there / that it is the singular afterlife. I'd imagine that whichever god or other extradimensional being one dedicates one's soul to is the one gets first dibs on it in the MCU.

16 hours ago, Poobah said:

Taweret commented to the effect that people turning up there is a pretty rare occurrence, which suggests that it was him dying while dedicated to Khonshu that sent him in to the duat, not that everyone goes there / that it is the singular afterlife. I'd imagine that whichever god or other extradimensional being one dedicates one's soul to is the one gets first dibs on it in the MCU.

Since she mentions the Wakandan ancestral plane I think it's explicit that it's not the only afterlife.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

Since she mentions the Wakandan ancestral plane I think it's explicit that it's not the only afterlife.

She also explicitly says herself that where they are is an afterlife and not the afterlife.

Archived