The award for the Best Bolton goes to. . .

The Bard of Banefort

Little Lady Barba Bolton.

She's only given one line in Fire and Blood, when she attended the Maiden's Day Ball:

A handful of the braver maidens made so bold as to address the king, in an attempt to make themselves more memorable. Ellyn Baratheon asked His Grace if he liked her gown (her sister later put it about that her question was, “Do you like my breasts?” but there is no truth to that). Alyssa Royce told him she had come all the way from Runestone to be with him today. Patricia Redwyne went her one better by declaring that her party had traveled from the Arbor, and had thrice been forced to beat back attacks by outlaws. “I shot one with an arrow,” she declared proudly. “In the arse.” Lady Anya Weatherwax, aged seven, informed His Grace that her horse’s name was Twinklehoof and she loved him very much, and asked if His Grace had a good horse too. (“His Grace has a hundred horses,” Lord Unwin answered impatiently.) Others ventured compliments about his city, his castle, and his clothes. A northern maid named Barba Bolton, daughter of the Dreadfort, said, “If you send me home, Your Grace, send me home with food, for the snows are deep and your people are starving.”

We know that Aegon III was moved to help the hungry upon reaching adulthood:

"I mean to give the smallfolk peace and food and justice. If that will not suffice to win their love, let Mushroom make a progress. Or perhaps we might send a dancing bear. Someone once told me that the commons love nothing half so much as dancing bears. You may call a halt to this feast tonight as well. Send the lords home to their own keeps and give the food to the hungry. Full bellies and dancing bears shall be my policy."

Who's to say that he didn't take Lady Bolton's request to heart?

You're the real champ, Barba.

Just thought I'd share :D

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Forrest Frey also seemed like a decent guy, and Sabitha Frey was a badass.

For what it’s worth, none of the Frey women are ever really portrayed as bad people, just kind of submissive to the men.

10 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Did he listen to her and send food and supplies?

I’m not sure. Lord Rowan may have when he was the Hand, but Aegon didn’t do much ruling as a boy. 

8 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I remember thinking George has created her for us to remember not all Boltons are Roose and Ramsay:D I really liked her..

There are a bunch of unwed Starks on the family tree, so maybe we’ll find out that Barba married a younger Stark brother or cousin. I always found it weird that there were no marriages between the two houses.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There are a bunch of unwed Starks on the family tree, so maybe we’ll find out that Barba married a younger Stark brother or cousin. I always found it weird that there were no marriages between the two houses.

Or perhaps a Cerwyn, a Karstark, a Manderly, a Hornwood, an Umber, or a Tallhart. Perhaps even one of the Skagosi.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

maybe but it's not fair to put every decent character in Stark family:D and it's not that odd. it's the same with Brackens and Blackwoods.

53 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

maybe but it's not fair to put every decent character in Stark family:D and it's not that odd. it's the same with Brackens and Blackwoods.

The Blackwoods intermarried with the Starks because they worship the Old Gods. And because GRRM has a huge Blackwoods-boner.

10 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The Blackwoods intermarried with the Starks because they worship the Old Gods. And because GRRM has a huge Blackwoods-boner.

no, I meant Starks & Boltons not intermarrying is as understandable as Blackwoods & Brackens not intermarrying.

8 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

no, I meant Starks & Boltons not intermarrying is as understandable as Blackwoods & Brackens not intermarrying.

According to Hoster Blackwood, they did:

"So you are fighting over a crown that one of you took from the other back when the Casterlys still held Casterly Rock, is that the root of it? The crown of a kingdom that has not existed for thousands of years?" He chuckled. "So many years, so many wars, so many kings … you'd think someone would have made a peace."

"Someone did, my lord. Many someones. We've had a hundred peaces with the Brackens, many sealed with marriages. There's Blackwood blood in every Bracken, and Bracken blood in every Blackwood. The Old King's Peace lasted half a century. But then some fresh quarrel broke out, and the old wounds opened and began to bleed again. That's how it always happens, my father says. So long as men remember the wrongs done to their forebears, no peace will ever last. So we go on century after century, with us hating the Brackens and them hating us. My father says there will never be an end to it."

Archived