Stannis Kingsguard

A_upton

Hi everyone, first time posting on here so forgive me if this has been covered 

whycreate on YouTube recently published a video about why Stannis the Mannis doesn’t have a kingsguard. I can’t recall him ever even mentioning it. 

Anyone have any ideas on this 

Stannis' claim  is based on him being Robert's true heir. He intends to take Robert's throne and crown and kingdom back from Cersei's bastards, and no doubt his Kingsguard as well. This is different from Renly who's claim way not that he was true heir, but that he was best suited. Renly was intending to become king on the strength of his army, so he appointed the best of them to his guard to inspire and reward them.

At the time of the Blackwater I think 6 of Robert's 7 were still alive (other than Preston Greenfield)? So Stannis only had one free slot. If he had won that battle then appointments to the Kingsguard would have likely been dealt with then - including recalling Selmy who has been exiled by a usurper, and execution / the Wall for Jaime.

Not that I think Stannis sees much value in the KG, beyond their loyalty being due to him. He doesn't have a romantic or chivalric soul, and undervalues good PR messaging. He isn't the type of general who prefers to personally lead a cavalry charge, so doesn't need especial protection on the battlefield, and he has Melisandre see and protect him from other threats.

Archived