Best couples in ASOIAF

26 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Not as beautiful as Jeyne x Ramsay. So considerate of him, to keep his wife far from the horrors of the vast and icy north.  

You know, Littlefinger really is a walking plot hole. It's bad enough that Sansa somehow knows Janos Slynt betrayed Ned but not him, but I just remembered that Cersei told her that he would "find somewhere" for Jeyne in AGOT. Not only has Sansa not asked him about Jeyne, but she doesn't even seem to remember it :dunce:

Imagine spending a lot of time on PD James plot holes. This a fantasy series. If it were real history, there would be dueling sources in several paragraphs:)

I love LOTR and I have some few issues, but overall, wow. It only took many years of thought and study. It incorporates more than I understand. I recall reading it for the first time in a cabin in the woods! Here and now,tf I realize the GRRM has a lot going on. Some of it I get well, and other people elaborate with their advantages and perspectives.

Sansa is paralyzed with fear. Trauma looks like Sansa. Her world has gone upside down. Arya is also in trauma but a more active “ fighting” kind. Maybe that is how they relate to Sandor.

Yes, LF is a strong character. Just lot at the creeps behind Trump. Sometimes you have to use plot to further your characters to further plot. I like the Martin way. A story about politics needs a LF.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Joffrey x Margeary at the very least they had a happy ending...

You mean because Joff died? XD

My fave pairings would be Alys Karstark and Sigorn Thenn as well as Daenerys and Daario (yes, I said it). Jaehaerys and Alysanne were nice in their early years (then they weren't). Daella Targaryen and Lord Rodrik Arryn were nice, too.

I would love to see more of Edmure and Roslin. I would hope that Sansa gets to meet Willas Tyrell someday; I felt they would've been happy together in spite of Littlefinger. Or maybe to spite him!

NOTPs would be anyone with Aegon IV (because he's a cheating scumbag) and Aerys II (because he's psycho and he abused his poor wife). 

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

Imagine spending a lot of time on PD James plot holes. This a fantasy series. If it were real history, there would be dueling sources in several paragraphs:)

I love LOTR and I have some few issues, but overall, wow. It only took many years of thought and study. It incorporates more than I understand. I recall reading it for the first time in a cabin in the woods! Here and now,tf I realize the GRRM has a lot going on. Some of it I get well, and other people elaborate with their advantages and perspectives.

Sansa is paralyzed with fear. Trauma looks like Sansa. Her world has gone upside down. Arya is also in trauma but a more active “ fighting” kind. Maybe that is how they relate to Sandor.

Yes, LF is a strong character. Just lot at the creeps behind Trump. Sometimes you have to use plot to further your characters to further plot. I like the Martin way. A story about politics needs a LF.

Honestly, I think it's because George is so good at avoiding plot holes that the very few that slip through stick out. There are far more things I like about ASOIAF than I dislike. If I had to guess, GRRM probably hadn't quite figured out what he was going to do with LF by the time he finished AGOT. 

27 minutes ago, Kinola said:

You mean because Joff died? XD

My fave pairings would be Alys Karstark and Sigorn Thenn as well as Daenerys and Daario (yes, I said it). Jaehaerys and Alysanne were nice in their early years (then they weren't). Daella Targaryen and Lord Rodrik Arryn were nice, too.

I would love to see more of Edmure and Roslin. I would hope that Sansa gets to meet Willas Tyrell someday; I felt they would've been happy together in spite of Littlefinger. Or maybe to spite him!

NOTPs would be anyone with Aegon IV (because he's a cheating scumbag) and Aerys II (because he's psycho and he abused his poor wife). 

As much as I dislike Dany/Daario, I have so much respect for anyone who has the balls to admit that they like them. Rock on, my friend.

I also like Daella/Rodrik and Edmure/Roslin.

17 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Since today is Valentine Day I felt I had no choice but to make a thread about the couples and romances in ASOIAF. 

Amongst the many couples in the main series and in its spin-offs, as well as in the history of Westeros and Essos, which ones do you think is or are the best in all the saga ? 

Daenerys and Drogo

17 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

For what reasons do you love this/these couple(s) ? Which other couple(s) should get a honorable mention ?

I like the story of the little Princess in exile who tamed the Khal, became a great leader, and woke the dragons from stone to become Azor Ahai.

Honorable mention goes to Barristan and Ashara.  A love that goes nowhere is interesting on its own. 

8 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Not as beautiful as Jeyne x Ramsay. So considerate of him, to keep his wife far from the horrors of the vast and icy north.  

Sansa is so lucky, when it comes to “shipping”.  The favourites are her brother Jon, LF, Sandor, Ramsay, and Margaery.

21 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Sansa is so lucky, when it comes to “shipping”.  The favourites are her brother Jon, LF, Sandor, Ramsay, and Margaery.

hey! she could do much worse than Margery

I also like Joffrey/Laenor... and Laenor/Rhaenyra although were not remotely romantic seemed to have a certain understanding! 

Laena/Daemon(surprisingly the only waman he didn't cheat on)

Rhaena/Elissa 

Egg/Betha

and I liked Corlys/Rhaenys a lot up untill Alyn and Adam showed up! 

59 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

hey! she could do much worse than Margery

I also like Joffrey/Laenor... and Laenor/Rhaenyra although were not remotely romantic seemed to have a certain understanding! 

Laena/Daemon(surprisingly the only waman he didn't cheat on)

Rhaena/Elissa 

Egg/Betha

and I liked Corlys/Rhaenys a lot up untill Alyn and Adam showed up! 

Margaery is one of her better ships, for sure.

4 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Daenerys and Drogo

I like the story of the little Princess in exile who tamed the Khal, became a great leader, and woke the dragons from stone to become Azor Ahai.

Honorable mention goes to Barristan and Ashara.  A love that goes nowhere is interesting on its own. 

I think this is what George was going for with Dany and Drogo: a young girl whose strength and charisma was able to woo a khal and win a khalassar. A lot of people take a much more pedantic approach to their story.

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think this is what George was going for with Dany and Drogo: a young girl whose strength and charisma was able to woo a khal and win a khalassar. A lot of people take a much more pedantic approach to their story.

I think that’s right.  Martin intended it to be his version of La Belle et Le Bete, albeit a love that is ultimately doomed.  

Daenerys - as we know - generates strong opinions both for and against her. Yet, dislike for her romance with Drogo cuts across that divide.

It’s like the depiction of Catelyn.  A lot of people loathe her, which is not at all what the author intended.

47 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think that’s right.  Martin intended it to be his version of La Belle et Le Bete, albeit a love that is ultimately doomed.  

Daenerys - as we know - generates strong opinions both for and against her. Yet, dislike for her romance with Drogo cuts across that divide.

It’s like the depiction of Catelyn.  A lot of people loathe her, which is not at all what the author intended.

Eventually I’m going to have to watch this movie, since it’s so important to George’s writing. Hopefully it has subtitles.

I always try to take writer intentionality into consideration, since even a writer as talented as George isn’t perfect. I think we can all agree that he messed up the ages, and that his solution to this was just to write the kids as adults (hopefully he just makes the years longer, or hires a nerd to go back and retcon all the dates/ages for him). With that in mind, Dany’s wedding night is no different than that of any other arranged marriage—it’s even a bit better than in Westeros, as there’s no embarrassing bedding ceremony. The next time we see her, Dany is miserable from riding all day and Drogo’s roughness in bed. We see this as assault, but I think that George probably intended for it to comes across as Dany using her womanly charms to tame the barbarian and teach him how to treat a lady. The way each person interprets it, I suppose, depends on what you’re willing to overlook in order to enjoy the story.

23 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Joanna + Aerys is probably = Jaime + Cersei and not Tyrion, unlike it was suggested by many people several years back. Not only Jaime and Cersei practice incest, a Targaryen hallmark pastime, but it goes so far as Cersei having the exact same thoughts as Aerys: burning the filthy KL and building a white palace on the other bank of Blackwater. 

This would also make both brothers Kinslayers, having slayed their sires and both in the same place, KL.

All this :agree:

A+J=T was (still is?) popular. But only a fan's fantasy of Tyrion riding a dragon. And the 3 main characters being the 3 Heads.

This speculation is in fact masking A+J=C+J. IMHO, a great trick of GRMM: Making us believe what we want and ignore the hard facts all around us. Tyrion is 100% like Tywin. While Cersei and Joffrey have all the traits of the worst Targaryens. And unpopular as it is, Jaime is much like Rhaegar, sacrificing his honor for what he believes was necessary (I'm not referring to Bran here, but to Aerys).

Genna was striking more to the truth than she thought when she said (I can't restrain to cite again):

"Jaime," she said, tugging on his ear, "sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna’s breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there’s some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak ... but Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you. I said so once to your father’s face, and he would not speak to me for half a year."

Imagining 2 daughters of Aerys fighting for the Iron Throne ... awesome. Possibly, the 3 Heads are Dany, Cersei and fAegon. A dance with 3 dragons.

And Tywin proud of children not his own, and despising his own: I like it!

When Cersei and Jaime were born, Aerys was not the crazy dirty man he was at Tyrion's time. IMO, Joanna was more than consenting. Rhaella didn't revoke her without some cause, she was not Aerys only whore.

Archived