NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

7 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

On Stafford and HoF -

For the last 12 years has Stafford ever been what you would call the best qb around? Has he even been in the top 5? 

Has he made any particularly great individual records in a season? Any great lifetime ones? 

Not every qb who wins a superbowl should make it to the hof. That by itself is not so big a deal. Certainly not where he puts in a decent but not incredible performance either. That isn't to say he'll never make it or anything, but at this point he is worse than Eli in fame and overall performance and I'd say Eli is pretty questionable.

I actually agree with most of your reasoning. I already weighed in on the Eli HoF debate and I guess that's part of what makes me think Stafford will get in -- they've just become less selective, especially for QBs. Eli was never even a top ten QB. Why not Stafford? If they can sell a good story about him it makes it easier (I bet Jerome Bettis benefited from a warm fuzzy narrative). Talented QB, loyal to shitty franchise for too long, goes to a shiny new team with a shiny new stadium in LA, finally gets a chance with a real coach, and wins in his first year? I also believe the HoF voting process is still based on one writer making a case to a bunch of other writers.

The "was he ever top 5 at his position" question would be more significant to me if Art Monk weren't in the Hall.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It will be interesting when Cam becomes eligible (I think most people agree he's cooked at this point). His individual peak was more impressive than the likes of Ryan, Rapeburger, Eli, Rivers, Stafford etc.

I hate the guy, but Rothlesberger never had a losing season in his entire career and has two rings. He should absolutely be in the hall. And again, I absolutely hate the fucker.

6 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I hate the guy, but Rothlesberger never had a losing season in his entire career and has two rings. He should absolutely be in the hall. And again, I absolutely hate the fucker.

I agree that among the guys I listed, he is the one who most belongs in the HoF. Just think it's interesting to consider that Cam's peak was greater than those I mentioned, but I don't think he'll get in because his body broke down before he turned 30. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just think it's interesting to consider that Cam's peak was greater than those I mentioned, but I don't think he'll get in because his body broke down before he turned 30. 

As a passer, his "peak" was two very good seasons and three above average seasons.  Even taking the rushing into account, I'll easily take Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Rivers' "peaks" over Newton.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

As a passer, his "peak" was two very good seasons and three above average seasons.  Even taking the rushing into account, I'll easily take Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Rivers' "peaks" over Newton.

None of them had a single season as good as Cam's best year. And I don't think any of them were ever considered the best player in the NFL, meanwhile Cam was voted the best player by his peers. 

Also, think about who those three were throwing to and then what Cam was, or really wasn't, working with. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

None of them had a single season as good as Cam's best year.

I'll take Ryan's MVP season over Cam's, which coincidentally happened in consecutive years.  His one season may have been better than any of Roethlisberger or Rivers', but that's not how I define a peak.  As for who he was throwing to, hey he had Steve Smith his first three years and Greg Olsen was also damn good throughout his peak.

Stafford has something else on his side. He is very likeable. Never a distraction even on the bad teams. Nothing controversial about the guy and that always helps. Do I think he is a HOF worthy, no not yet. He is one bad pick away from losing that game and the narrative today would have been a lot different.

(Full disclosure… I have never seen that Twitter account before today… but don’t harsh my vibe.)

Edit:  Okay, reading further the reports are actually coming from The Athletic which has been a very trustworthy source in my experience.  

Here's the full context of the 11th pick speculation:

The executive, who was quoted anonymously about Washington’s quarterback options for 2022, “doesn’t think Garoppolo is worth the 11th selection or any first-round choice based on skill set and injury history,” but believes the organization could justify the move if they deem the draft’s top QBs as unstartable. A high first round pick would be quite the price for a quarterback who was mostly efficient in Kyle Shanahan’s run-first offense. Niners beat writer Cam Inman this month said the team might take a Day Two draft pick for Jimmy G. Among the most QB-desperate teams in the NFL, Washington would be a bad spot if they once again had to turn to Taylor Heinicke as their Day One starter.

I'm thinking to myself, "Washington wouldn't drop their 11th pick for an injury prone guy that is barely an upgrade at the position, would they?"  Then I remember it's Washington, so of course they would do something that stupid.

21 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I'm thinking to myself, "Washington wouldn't drop their 11th pick for an injury prone guy that is barely an upgrade at the position, would they?"  Then I remember it's Washington, so of course they would do something that stupid.

I could see a team like Tampa maybe giving up a late first, but the 11th overall pick is madness.  Their second would be much closer to fair value for Jimmy G.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

I could see a team like Tampa maybe giving up a late first, but the 11th overall pick is madness. 

Yeah I think either Tampa (27th) or maybe Pittsburgh's (20th) 1st is the best case scenario.

Just now, briantw said:

Two seconds is probably more realistic.  Or a 2nd and a 3rd but both this year.

Yeah I'd be very (very) happy with say a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year (or vice versa).  That'd be an outstanding outcome to make up for the two firsts they gave up for Lance. 

On getting two seconds - too lazy to find it now - but I saw some blog put out a proposal of getting the Steelers' two seconds and then sending them to the Patriots for their first (21st pick).  Being very convoluted aside, I think I might just keep the two seconds.

Archived