NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

31 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

Washington and 49ers swapping 1st rounders for Garappolo wouldn't be the worst thing I've ever seen. A bad idea but not outright stupid.

Niners don't have a first round pick this year.  Miami has it.

Newest rumors are Wentz to Washington, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than Jimmy. If I were SF I’d make sure to get a deal before the Wentz trade, because the talks I’ve heard for Wentz are way, way lower than what’s been coming out of SF - l and he had a better season with a worse line.

5 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Newest rumors are Wentz to Washington, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than Jimmy. If I were SF I’d make sure to get a deal before the Wentz trade, because the talks I’ve heard for Wentz are way, way lower than what’s been coming out of SF - l and he had a better season with a worse line.

I asked a few weeks back what would be the best order of dominos falling for SF. I'm now more convinced that they should wait until Wilson and Rodger's situations play out. I think a first is way too much for Jimmy, but the Niners are probably more likely to get one if either gets traded for three first rounders, and if no moves are made with them the Bucs or Steelers might be more willing to part with one to get Jimmy. 

Washington trading a first for Jimmy or anything for Wentz just sounds like more dumbass behavior coming out of the nation's capital. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I asked a few weeks back what would be the best order of dominos falling for SF. I'm now more convinced that they should wait until Wilson and Rodger's situations play out. I think a first is way too much for Jimmy, but the Niners are probably more likely to get one if either gets traded for three first rounders, and if no moves are made with them the Bucs or Steelers might be more willing to part with one to get Jimmy. 

Washington trading a first for Jimmy or anything for Wentz just sounds like more dumbass behavior coming out of the nation's capital. 

Rumors I heard were starting negotiations at just taking the contract. Said they would even eat some of it to get rid of him. I don’t think Washington will part with more than a 2nd or a 3rd

32 minutes ago, aceluby said:

If I were SF I’d make sure to get a deal before the Wentz trade, because the talks I’ve heard for Wentz are way, way lower than what’s been coming out of SF - l and he had a better season with a worse line.

I dunno about that.  The Colts have been identified by multiple outlets as a darkhorse for Garoppolo.  And, obviously, if Wentz is traded, they'll need a QB - so if he's moved it's basically exchanging one QB needy team for another, and one that presumably wants to compete next year at that.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm now more convinced that they should wait until Wilson and Rodger's situations play out. I think a first is way too much for Jimmy, but the Niners are probably more likely to get one if either gets traded for three first rounders, and if no moves are made with them the Bucs or Steelers might be more willing to part with one to get Jimmy. 

.Definitely agree with this in theory, just not sure how long they can wait if Rodgers plays out the drama - which seems quite possible.  Wilson, I expect, will be resolved quickly.

38 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Rumors I heard were starting negotiations at just taking the contract. Said they would even eat some of it to get rid of him. I don’t think Washington will part with more than a 2nd or a 3rd

A second or third for Wentz is crazy, cap relief or not. He's just not very good at this point, he's going to get cut next year after the dead money in his contract goes away and he's already been passed over by two teams who wanted him to succeed. And besides, Washington is not in a position to overpay for what is likely to be a bridge QB.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Definitely agree with this in theory, just not sure how long they can wait if Rodgers plays out the drama - which seems quite possible.  Wilson, I expect, will be resolved quickly.

I kind of feel like the reverse will happen. Rodgers should know what he wants pretty quickly and I don't think the Packers want this to drag out again. Russ seems like he could be the one that is on the fence come the draft. Either way though the Niners should be in a decent position so long as both aren't trade to Pitt and Tampa.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I kind of feel like the reverse will happen. Rodgers should know what he wants pretty quickly and I don't think the Packers want this to drag out again. Russ seems like he could be the one that is on the fence come the draft.

My expectations are entirely based on my opinions of both Rodgers and Wilson's personality.  It's not even clear Wilson wants out.

I can't remember if this was discussed but, if you are Green Bay, would you take Garoppalo for Rodgers and 2 first round picks? Or + 3 first rounds?

Edit: for context, 9ers fan asked me during the NFChampionship what it would take to land Rodgers given Green Bay will have title aspirations next year and Rodgers might want to come back to the Bay given the defense and run game.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

My expectations are entirely based on my opinions of both Rodgers and Wilson's personality.  It's not even clear Wilson wants out.

Idk, from what I've seen Rodgers sounds like he'll make a decision sooner than not, and Wilson seems to want out. What will make the situation even more interesting is if Kyler tries to force his way out. 

30 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I can't remember if this was discussed but, if you are Green Bay, would you take Garoppalo for Rodgers and 2 first round picks? Or + 3 first rounds?

Edit: for context, 9ers fan asked me during the NFChampionship what it would take to land Rodgers given Green Bay will have title aspirations next year and Rodgers might want to come back to the Bay given the defense and run game.

Idk how they do that with Love. And if Rodgers were to go to San Fran that would mean Lance as well as Jimmy are getting shipped out of town. I don't think either the Niners or the Pack will get good value on return for their young QBs.

35 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

The Niners aren't in a position to give up multiple first rounders for Rodgers (which is what I assume you meant).  Hell, even if they could somehow get Rodgers by trading both Lance and Garoppolo somewhere and using that capital to make up for it, Rodgers' cap hit next year makes it very difficult for the Niners to maintain a championship roster.  The secondary would suck and the line would be very thin after Bosa and Armstead, making the defense very average at best.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What will make the situation even more interesting is if Kyler tries to force his way out. 

I think Murray just acted out like 24 year olds do, really don't think there's anything there.  Funny you mentioned it though, my brother just asked me a few minutes ago "have you seen the coverage on Murray," pointing out the racial bias. 

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

.I think Murray just acted out like 24 year olds do, really don't think there's anything there.  Funny you mentioned it though, my brother just asked me a few minutes ago "have you seen the coverage on Murray," pointing out the racial bias. 

Has there been a racial bias? It's more felt, like you said, people calling out the behavior of a young person. I also think everyone agrees he'd change his tune immediately if they offered him a contract similar to Allen's. Can't blame him though, he needs to get his money locked in before he gets hurt.

Just for fun and to annoy you Niners fans with Shanny's rumored love of Kirk, if the Vikings restructured Kirk's deal to eat some of the costs, would you accept him, him, a first and a third for Lance if you could also trade Jimmy to the Steelers for a third and Claypool, ignoring the cap. 

Sorry, I tried to come up with some fun A.A.Ron to the Niners ideas, but there are just too many moving parts before the aforementioned cap issues rise up. 

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has there been a racial bias?

Well, the only coverage I read was the espn article which, yeah, depicted him as a selfish diva with scant evidence but unnamed sources.  Other than that you'd have to ask my brother.  But if he thought there was racial bias I almost certainly would too.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just for fun and to annoy you Niners fans with Shanny's rumored love of Kirk, if the Vikings restructured Kirk's deal to eat some of the costs, would you accept him, him, a first and a third for Lance

No.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, the only coverage I read was the espn article which, yeah, depicted him as a selfish diva with scant evidence but unnamed sources.  Other than that you'd have to ask my brother.  But if he thought there was racial bias I almost certainly would too.

No.

I saw reports that he had taken all pictures of him in Cardinals gear and any mention of playing for Arizona from his social media.  Then I saw an article that said he told Colt McCoy he wasn’t going back in for the end of the playoff loss.

That seems like pointing out 24 year old diva behavior to me.  No different than others IMHO.  

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I saw reports that he had taken all pictures of him in Cardinals gear and any mention of playing for Arizona from his social media.  Then I saw an article that said he told Colt McCoy he wasn’t going back in for the end of the playoff loss.

That seems like pointing out 24 year old diva behavior to me.  No different than others IMHO.  

Didn't know about the McCoy thing, but yeah, the social media thing sounds like a typical impetuous thing a 24 year old does when he gets drunk and has a hissy fit.  Definitely doesn't have to be a "diva."  While I've barely ever used social media, I certainly did a lot stupider things when I was drunk and pissed off and 24.  The ESPN article I was referring to, however, emphasized this in the lede:

Kyler Murray posted on Instagram on Monday that "all of this nonsense is not what I'm about" and vowed to "grow and get better," a day after sources had described the Arizona Cardinals quarterback to ESPN's Chris Mortensen as self-centered, immature and someone who points fingers.

I don't see any reason to put that borderline character assassination up top just because "sources" described him that way to Chris Mortensen - especially because the article is about him, tacitly, apologizing.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A second or third for Wentz is crazy, cap relief or not. He's just not very good at this point, he's going to get cut next year after the dead money in his contract goes away and he's already been passed over by two teams who wanted him to succeed. And besides, Washington is not in a position to overpay for what is likely to be a bridge QB.

He had a better year than Jimmy G with a worse offensive line. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

...I don't see any reason to put that borderline character assassination up top just because "sources" described him that way to Chris Mortensen - especially because the article is about him, tacitly, apologizing.

And consider the likelihood that those sources are inside the Cardinals organization, which is hardly a bastion of professionalism and competence.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

He had a better year than Jimmy G with a worse offensive line. 

Eh, they are pretty similar to me, but all things considered Jimmy would just be more pleasant to be around. I don’t need Wentz hanging around trying to talk about how great Jesus is every five minutes.

Archived