NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

2 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

If an organization is debating wentz or Jimmy g for any actual value they've entered the chris Conte rule zone. Absolutely nothing they do should be trusted. 

To be fair Wentz has put up MVP like numbers before. It was only for a season, which he got hurt in, but Jimmy G hasnt and will never put those numbers up

9 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

To be fair Wentz has put up MVP like numbers before. It was only for a season, which he got hurt in, but Jimmy G hasnt and will never put those numbers up

So has Peyton Manning, and any team advocating bringing him in right now would be making a bad choice too

54 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

On a team so stacked that it won the Superbowl with Nick Foles. Maybe the 2017 Eagles The Team was what elevated the play of Wentz.

5 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

On a team so stacked that it won the Superbowl with Nick Foles. Maybe the 2017 Eagles The Team was what elevated the play of Wentz.

Possibly, i wouldnt want to go forward with either JG or Wentz, I just think he is a good deal better than Jimmy G.

11 hours ago, aceluby said:

He had a better year than Jimmy G with a worse offensive line. 

While I think the difference between Garoppolo and Wentz's performance this year was very marginal, and frankly negligible, the point remains that - especially considering Wentz's contract is voidable after next year - the two should have around the same trade value. 

I'd posit the main reason they don't is because the Colts just traded for Wentz last year, giving up draft capital I'd be perfectly happy getting for Garoppolo btw, and already want to move on from him.  That's not a good look.  Whereas Garoppolo handled his situation admirably, his locker room still loves him, and he even maintains a good relationship with the organization even though everyone knows he's gonna be traded.

16 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

I think Garappolo would do better in the Colts than Wentz did. He's just not gonna win a Superbowl.

The more interesting question to me is why give up draft capital for clearly bridge QBs when you don't actually have a succession plan in place? If nothing else you can at least say the Niners did it properly unlike the teams rumored to be willing to deal for the likes of Jimmy or Wentz.

12 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

Couple of 3s. Çolts don't have a three this year though so maybe a 4th rounder this year and a 2nd next.

I'd probably take that, but Jimmy is good enough to get the Colts into the playoffs.  That 2nd next year is going to be closer to a 3.

Heck, Colts would have been in the playoffs this year with Jimmy... he wouldn't have lost to Jacksonville.

41 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'd probably take that, but Jimmy is good enough to get the Colts into the playoffs.  That 2nd next year is going to be closer to a 3.

Heck, Colts would have been in the playoffs this year with Jimmy... he wouldn't have lost to Jacksonville.

I love these what-if scenarios.  I'm going with Jimmy got hurt, so Sam Ehlinger got the start and never relinquished it because he turns out to be a 6th round stud right out of the gates.  He definitely wouldn't have lost to Jacksonville.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

I love these what-if scenarios.  I'm going with Jimmy got hurt, so Sam Ehlinger got the start and never relinquished it because he turns out to be a 6th round stud right out of the gates.  He definitely wouldn't have lost to Jacksonville.

What if the 2017 Jags had traded for Jimmy to replace the awful Bortles? If they had they totally would have beaten the Pats in the AFC Championship. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What if the 2017 Jags had traded for Jimmy to replace the awful Bortles? If they had they totally would have beaten the Pats in the AFC Championship. 

He never would have lost that game

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why are we assuming that Garappollo is healthy in all these scenarios?  

Mine didn’t and it’s a major reason, along with his interception rate, why I don’t think the colts would even have had a shot with the guy.

But I’m a guy stuck in Kirk Cousins hell who thought his skill set would be great for a team with all the pieces around him to succeed. So, I’d put myself squarely in the football dumbass category.

Saw an interesting tidbit on Niners Nation - the last time the Niners didn't make a 1st round draft pick was in 1996.  That's because in 1995 they traded their 30th pick, along with their 3rd rounder (94th), a 4th rounder (119), and their 1996 first rounder to move up to the 10th pick and draft..J.J. Stokes.  That's quite the haul - and while I remember they traded up to draft Stokes I did not recall the details.  Makes it clear high 1st rounders have always had extremely high value.

Anyway, obviously Stokes didn't quite work out.  Luckily they made up for it the next year by picking some guy named Terrell Owens with the 89th pick in the 3rd round.

I know this is mainly just Lynch using Schefter as a mouthpiece to drive up Jimmy’s value by acting like they may keep him… but it confirms my own paranoia about Lance being ready.  So it makes me nervous.

Also kills the fun idea of the Niners trading both QBs and ending up with Rodgers. 

And I wouldn't sweat it too much @Rhom, the best looking rookie QB this year won a game passing three times and looking like he wasn't even a HS QB in the Pro Bowl skills competition. :P

Archived