NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Again, depends on if he actually was paid as much as rumored, but either way Steeler fans are not going to be happy.

I have to believe the AAV will be significantly less than Ben's last year, and while we're still waiting for the numbers, it's only a two year deal (which probably means one year if it doesn't work). I'd be cool with that if I was a Steelers fan. Iirc in Ben's last game he threw more passes behind the line of scrimmage than 10 yards down the field. Hard pass on that.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have to believe the AAV will be significantly less than Ben's last year, and while we're still waiting for the numbers, it's only a two year deal (which probably means one year if it doesn't work). I'd be cool with that if I was a Steelers fan. Iirc in Ben's last game he threw more passes behind the line of scrimmage than 10 yards down the field. Hard pass on that.

I don't know why you think Steelers fans are just going to compare their QB to Ben from last year.  They were expecting more than just that - especially because they're otherwise in a position to compete.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know why you think Steelers fans are just going to compare their QB to Ben from last year.  They were expecting more than just that - especially because they're otherwise in a position to compete.

Were they? I think every realistic Steelers fan has known that Ben's been washed for a few years and they kind of blew it by not transitioning better. Mitch without costing them any picks isn't terrible and it really feels like this is a bridge year, so if he works out, cool, and if he doesn't draft or trade for someone next year since now's not the time to break the bank for the remaining options.

14 minutes ago, grozeng said:

Is Laken Tomlinson any good?  Seems like a lot of money for someone that is not Pro Bowler.

He's very good, and insanely reliable.  Still, $13 million a year is a little much, but the way the market is looking...

ETA:  Also, Tomlinson made the pro bowl as an alternate.

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes.

The ones that did were delusional. Ben was one of the worst starters going into last year (before you even factor in his contract) and the Steelers got the most out of him that they could. They'll be better this year if Mitch can be a middle of the road QB.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They'll be better this year if Mitch can be a middle of the road QB.

Wouldn't hold my breath.  Anyway I don't know why you're arguing with me.  Do you live in a building with dozens of Steeler fans?

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

He's very good, and insanely reliable.  Still, $13 million a year is a little much, but the way the market is looking...

ETA:  Also, Tomlinson made the pro bowl as an alternate.

Cool.  The Jets need to protect Wilson and open holes for Carter.  So this is good.  When I first read it I thought it was an article about how Ladanian Tomlinson was their last successful FA signing.

$21 mil a year for Christian Kirk?  Apparently it's 4 years, $72 million, with another $12 mil in incentives.  Still, that's pretty crazy numbers for a guy who was the #3 WR in Arizona this year. 

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wouldn't hold my breath.  Anyway I don't know why you're arguing with me.  Do you live in a building with dozens of Steeler fans?

No, I just talk to normal ones and everyone basically said Ben is washed and they should have been moving on from him. I don't recall anyone thinking they were more than a team that might luck into a playoff win.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. I guess I'm just higher on this signing than you are, and if it's a cheap deal I think it's worlds better than doing something like trading two thirds for Wentz. Mitch wasn't terrible in Chicago, he just didn't live up to being the third overall pick and it hurts that two awesome QBs went after him, and I don't think they really did much to maximize his potential. They didn't put a lot around him and I have no idea why they didn't run more with him. He can be very dangerous in the open field. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

$21 mil a year for Christian Kirk?  Apparently it's 4 years, $72 million, with another $12 mil in incentives.  Still, that's pretty crazy numbers for a guy who was the #3 WR in Arizona this year. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, I just talk to normal ones and everyone basically said Ben is washed and they should have been moving on from him.

The consensus on Ben last offseason among "realistic" Steeler fans was that they acknowledged he kinda sucked but didn't think they could get anything much better.  That wasn't the case this year, they were definitely hoping for more than Mitch Trubisky.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mitch wasn't terrible in Chicago

That’s debatable. He’s not good at all, and if my team’s QB room consisted of Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, and Dwayne Haskins…

well, I’d be extremely depressed. And that defense is probably good enough to keep them right around.500, so it’s unlikely they even be in the running for a top QB next year either.

I for one - am extremely hopeful that they’re entering QB hell for the near future. 

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

The consensus on Ben last offseason among "realistic" Steeler fans was that they acknowledged he kinda sucked but didn't think they could get anything much better.  That wasn't the case this year, they were definitely hoping for more than Mitch Trubisky.

Well if you want to frame it like that, the only two options that were clearly better were trading for Rodgers or Wilson without overpaying too much. After that I think it's smarter to take a flyer on someone like Mitch or Jameis or Marcus for a year or two rather than trading for someone given that they're probably picking a QB in the first round this year or next. I really don't think this is a bad play for them.

24 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

That’s debatable. He’s not good at all, and if my team’s QB room consisted of Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, and Dwayne Haskins…

well, I’d be extremely depressed. And that defense is probably good enough to keep them right around.500, so it’s unlikely they even be in the running for a top QB next year either.

I for one - am extremely hopeful that they’re entering QB hell for the near future. 

Well of course you are given you hate them. And while I agree that QB room isn't great, Mitch isn't the sore spot (get Rudolph the fuck up out of there). He was not impressive in Chicago relative to where he was drafted, but he didn't have much to work with and I don't think the coaching staff there was any good. The Steelers have way more weapons and his mobility should help their line. If the defense is still one of the best in the league then I don't see why they can't the playoffs again. The AFC North is in a weird place right now.

Most every time Trubisky comes up, I think of my friend Henry who mocked the Dolphins taking Tua as the worst pick of all time.  He's a Bears fan.  Hell of a trade up that was...

Still, the Steelers should be OK to good with Trubisky next year.  In Bears talk, didn't they win a couple playoff games with Rex Grossman?  In Trubisky, they basically paid replacement level prices for a top 30 QB, I think.  They're going to live or die by their defense.

Though I would prefer to watch that bitchy little helmet swinger go 4-13 next year.

Archived