NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

1 hour ago, Babblebauble said:

Can't wait to watch a succession of sideline bimbos sugarally seek answers before every big game to the tough, tough, question "so, like, what was YOUR headspace. With, like, coming to Cleveland and stuff? And what was it about Cleveland that drew you here?"

I think you missed your calling.

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think you missed your calling.

"So, I like asked Coach Belichick, like, what he wants to have happen in the second half. And he said that, like, he tooootally wants to win and that there's still, like, a whole second half to play which I totally didn't even know was allowed. Do you wanna buy the Erin Andrews selection on NFLshop.com? The NFL, like, loves the wmnz.

17 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Can't the NFL still suspend him though? I mean they suspended Elliot for 4 games for way fewer issues. 

They can and they may. Browns gave him $1m base salary for 2022 so if he’s suspended, that’s all he will lose on his $230m contract. It’s kinda fucked up.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Sad to see John Clayton died.  Back in the day he was definitely the best informed and most incisive NFL "insider" reporting for ESPN.

That "This is SportsCenter" commercial where he looked all professional and then turned around and had a mullet and was living in his mom's basement was classic.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

They can and they may. Browns gave him $1m base salary for 2022 so if he’s suspended, that’s all he will lose on his $230m contract. It’s kinda fucked up.

Certainly looks bad optically, but it's standard restructure fare to take on the least amount of cap penalty in year one to give a team maximum space to make other moves, or just to help them get under the cap.  Structuring the contract like that was a no-brainer for the Browns, who will open up around eight million in additional space once Baker is traded and Watson's new contract is official.  Given that they don't have first rounders for the next three years, that space will be invaluable for addressing the team's needs, of which they still have a couple, such as WR and DL.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't defend this dude...

I’m not defending Watson.  He’s a piece of shit, but the contract makes sense for the Browns. 

This is the exact same sort of deal Brady signed when he was facing the Deflategate suspension, and I imagine it’s commonplace for teams to give this sort of deal to a guy facing a suspension. 

This is the NFL.  Your team probably has a few players blowing up Watson’s IG post congratulating him.  Players don’t give a shit what he did.  Teams don’t give a shit what he did.  The NFL only pretends to because they have to, and the only teams that weren’t trying to trade for him were either teams with the answer at QB or Washington/Pittsburgh, both of which couldn’t trade for him due to optical issues.  

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

I’m not defending Watson.  He’s a piece of shit, but the contract makes sense for the Browns. 

This is the exact same sort of deal Brady signed when he was facing the Deflategate suspension, and I imagine it’s commonplace for teams to give this sort of deal to a guy facing a suspension. 

This is the NFL.  Your team probably has a few players blowing up Watson’s IG post congratulating him.  Players don’t give a shit what he did.  Teams don’t give a shit what he did.  The NFL only pretends to because they have to, and the only teams that weren’t trying to trade for him were either teams with the answer at QB or Washington/Pittsburgh, both of which couldn’t trade for him due to optical issues.  

Eh not entirely true. The Ford family has a reputation here for not taking players with a past like this. I'm sure if you dig you'll find an outlier but it's not the norm. It's actually a talking point on the radio how the Lions need a few more rough players and how they would never even entertain trading for Watson.

11 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Eh not entirely true. The Ford family has a reputation here for not taking players with a past like this. I'm sure if you dig you'll find an outlier but it's not the norm. It's actually a talking point on the radio how the Lions need a few more rough players and how they would never even entertain trading for Watson.

Easy to say you wouldn’t entertain trading for a player who would never waive his no trade clause to go to your team. 

46 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Eh it's not Briantw's fault the Browns are bringing the shitheel to town. I see nothing in his post defending DeShauns criminal cases.

Yup.  I have no control over who the team brings in, and we’ve got a fucking statue of Jim Brown outside our arena.  Not quite as bad as a Ray Lewis statue like a certain other franchise built, but still not ideal. 

Sorry, I was confused because I clearly don't understand such things. But it just seemed to ditzy dumb me that you were first to share the Browns' triumph, with a joke at the expense of the women accusing him of gross impropriety, and then leapt to defend the practice of deliberately constructing his contract in such a way as to make his impending -already trivial- punishment as financially negligible as possible. I'm just a dumb dumb, though, so I'm sure you didn't do that and I read dumbly and don't understand the nuances involved  

Really, when I think about it. The true victim in this situation is people like you who are bravely trying to explain to morons like me that you're not DEFENDING Watson or the Browns, they and he have simply done nothing wrong here and criticism of their actions is unfair. 

Thank you so, so, soooooo much!

On 3/18/2022 at 6:36 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I'll put the over/under at four games played when the media mostly forgets about what he did unless he comes out and sucks.

Unless you’re counting preseason I’d for sure take the under

Archived