NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I’ve been a bit disconnected this weekend; So what’s up with this bullshit about Tampa trading Brady to Miami???

Didn't hear anything about this, the Dolphins are denying it, and Tampa has basically said they'll never trade him.  Seems unlikely.

In other discussion topics.... are the Chiefs now the worst team in their division?

NFL owners have agreed to change the OT rules - only for the playoffs:

Now, should the first team score a TD, the second team will still have an opportunity to possess the ball, and must match the other team's points to extend OT.

I've looked at three articles and none of them specify what happens after OT is extended, i.e. the third possession.  I assume that means it will just be sudden death, so the team that wins the toss still retains a distinct advantage.  Appropriately, a bunch of rich old white men voted to kick the can down the road rather than provide a real solution.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

NFL owners have agreed to change the OT rules - only for the playoffs:

I've looked at three articles and none of them specify what happens after OT is extended, i.e. the third possession.  I assume that means it will just be sudden death, so the team that wins the toss still retains a distinct advantage.  Appropriately, a bunch of rich old white men voted to kick the can down the road rather than provide a real solution.

If I’m the team with the second possession and I score, I’m just going for two every time now.  Go for broke and don’t give the other team the ball back.  If you lose, it’s because your offense couldn’t execute. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

If I’m the team with the second possession and I score, I’m just going for two every time now.  Go for broke and don’t give the other team the ball back.  If you lose, it’s because your offense couldn’t execute. 

It will be interesting to see if teams start deferring. As DMC there's still an advantage to taking the ball in the macro sense, but it's been reduced and if you think you can get the stop that can really flip the tables. 

Surprising coaching change in Tampa. Arians to the front office and Bowles will take over as HC.

Still curious if Tommy manages to work his way to Miami or San Fran. The Bucs really should let him leave if he wants to. He restructured his contract and added year as a favor.

ETA:

LOL

Regards rule changes, it's time to move back the kickoff line.

99.9% of the time the kickers nowadays are just bombing it out of the end zone and it's an automatic touchback.

Time to make the kickoff from the 10 yard line and have the play return to having some stakes.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:33 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regards rule changes, it's time to move back the kickoff line.

99.9% of the time the kickers nowadays are just bombing it out of the end zone and it's an automatic touchback.

Time to make the kickoff from the 10 yard line and have the play return to having some stakes.

Didn’t they move it forward due to the high rate of injuries on kickoffs?

I agree from a gameplay standpoint; having actual returns is far more entertaining than the non play we get now that just interrupts commercial breaks.  But we aren’t going backwards at this point.

Archived