NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

2 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

Sorry, I was confused because I clearly don't understand such things. But it just seemed to ditzy dumb me that you were first to share the Browns' triumph, with a joke at the expense of the women accusing him of gross impropriety, and then leapt to defend the practice of deliberately constructing his contract in such a way as to make his impending -already trivial- punishment as financially negligible as possible. I'm just a dumb dumb, though, so I'm sure you didn't do that and I read dumbly and don't understand the nuances involved  

Really, when I think about it. The true victim in this situation is people like you who are bravely trying to explain to morons like me that you're not DEFENDING Watson or the Browns, they and he have simply done nothing wrong here and criticism of their actions is unfair. 

Thank you so, so, soooooo much!

You’re right that the joke I made was inappropriate and I’ve edited it out.  I tend to process shit through humor but that wasn’t a great joke.

I just thought this was a very interesting moment. I don't wanna make you edit down your comments or anything, just c'mon man. As part of their dark compact the Browns made an obvious and deliberate attempt to ensure that Watson suffers as little financial penalty as possible (he already got paid his entire salary last year) when the NFL eventually issues its piddling suspension. Thereby completely undermining one of the only penalties for his actions and even further rewarding him for his predatory behavior even after he got treated like the goddamn bachelorette the instant it was announced he'd avoid criminal charges. They not only took advantage of his immoral actions to improve their team, they specifically minimized his future punishment just to make him say yes and give them a rose.

Nobody can judge you for the Browns' actions l, I certainly won't at least, and I don't really care about your happy endings joke. But c'mon. Don't let them make you mind-pretzel yourself into trying to defend what's happened here. Sports teams are scummy and your favorite one decided to sell out for the favor of a real dickhead. You don't have to denounce them to the heavens or stop watching football, man. Just know that they count on the fact that you're so hungry to know what winning feels like that you'll implicitly carry water for them even when they're obviously being scummy and everyone knows it. 

Don't lose your love of football or feel like you're excluded from enjoying a thing because some dickheads running it are dickheads. But you're worth more than being maneuvered into defending their actions. You can be happy that your team has the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league without making excuses for that team's behavior, at least in the world I try to live in. 

At the end of the day the Browns got their hands on the Peyton Manning of his generation. That is a victory, and I'm not trying to take that away from you. But let's be clear eyed about the cost. 

All above is just my IMHO or whatever. You're good people, Bri.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

And Bengals sign Collins. OL has been completely rebuilt. Still need to sort out LG but all 4 other spots are full of legit starters.

Still need to use all your picks on OL though!

In other news, I'm so totally shocked:

Thoroughness!  

Honestly, I am at a place now where I believe every first round pick should be used on the OL or the DL.  Cycle them out as they get to the point that they need bigger checks.  Fill out the skill players with 2nd-4th rounders.  Then as you start to see what piece or two you might need, hammer those in free agency.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Sounds good!

Not to me. We’re looking pretty good on the OL now. And our Super Bowl window is officially open, so I want whatever players are going to make the most immediate impact. Which won’t be OL where we’re picking. There’s going to be some really good CB’s and DT’s still on the board at 31 though. I’m hoping for another CB to pair with Awuzie on the outside, or a 3T to replace some of pass rush we lost with Ogunjobi leaving. 

We also need a TE with Hurst only signed for one year, and probably a safety. Bates is likely gone after playing out the season on the tag, and Bell is going into the last year of his deal.

I was clearly joking but I do still think that if Lindebaum or Zion Johnson is there at 31, you take a hard look. I get they have gaps elsewhere, like the ones you mentioned, but filling the one gap on the line they have with a stud will only make the offense that much better (and depth is necessary - right side of line was bad because of injuries to the starters). And really, if they can score a lot of points, defense matters less.

That being said, still think you’re right and they go CB or DL.

Just now, Mexal said:

I was clearly joking but I do still think that if Lindebaum or Zion Johnson is there at 31, you take a hard look. I get they have gaps elsewhere, like the ones you mentioned, but filling the one gap on the line they have with a stud will only make the offense that much better. And really, if they can score a lot of points, defense matters less.

That being said, still think you’re right and they go CB or DL.

I’m so torn on Linderbaum. Kid is absolute stud, but those arms…

It obviously doesn’t matter as much at Center, but his length is like historically low. I do like that he has a wrestling background though. Including beating Tristan Wirfs in college. 

Realistically if you want to have a good OL you need at least 7 quality starters or you need to pray that one of the most easily injured positions suffers no injuries during the season. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m so torn on Linderbaum. Kid is absolute stud, but those arms…

It obviously doesn’t matter as much at Center, but his length is like historically low. I do like that he has a wrestling background though. Including beating Tristan Wirfs in college. 

I get it but I’m less worried. Dude can play. We see players dinged for measurements all the time, fall and then produce so if the guy has great tape and good athleticism (which he does), I’m all for it. Then you move Karras to LG and line looks mighty good.

3 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Realistically if you want to have a good OL you need at least 7 quality starters or you need to pray that one of the most easily injured positions suffers no injuries during the season. 

Exactly. That’s why I want bengals to re-sign Spain and draft another guy.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Honestly, I am at a place now where I believe every first round pick should be used on the OL or the DL.  Cycle them out as they get to the point that they need bigger checks.  Fill out the skill players with 2nd-4th rounders.  Then as you start to see what piece or two you might need, hammer those in free agency.

I have long thought that if you had a team who could only use your 1st rounders on O/D line and QB, it wouldn't be much of a handicap.  And team that is strong up front is always going to be at least decent. 

Hitting on a QB takes some amount of luck, but if you can get a hit there, you're golden.  If you have a top 5 qb, and a top 10 O line and D line, even if the entire rest of the team is a mix of middling starters and replacement level guys, I think you could win a SB.  But so often teams that get a great QB load up on offensive weapons, rather than focusing on the line.  Can anyone think of a team that had a top 5 QB that also had very strong O and D line play?  Tampa Bay in 2020 maybe, although their D line was poor for much of the year it was just in the playoffs they turned into a great unit.  Possibly the Ravens 2012 SB team is kinda close, although both the QB and the O line were middling in the regular season, it was just in the playoffs they turned into elite units. 

21 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Sounds like Matt Ryan to the Colts for a 3rd. They’ll be another dangerous team in the AFC with that running game and a decent QB. 

The rumors that the Niners wanted two seconds for Jimmy while Ryan goes for a single third does not bode well.

24 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Sounds like Matt Ryan to the Colts for a 3rd. They’ll be another dangerous team in the AFC with that running game and a decent QB. 

WTF?  If that is right the Falcons are horrendous negotiators.  Ryan is quite comparable to the Stafford trade, and that was for 2 1sts.  Did Matt Ryan kill someone and the news just hasn't come out yet? 

The idea that Matt Ryan would fetch less than half what Carson Wentz would is laughable. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

WTF?  If that is right the Falcons are horrendous negotiators.  Ryan is quite comparable to the Stafford trade, and that was for 2 1sts.  Did Matt Ryan kill someone and the news just hasn't come out yet? 

The idea that Matt Ryan would fetch less than half what Carson Wentz would is laughable. 

This deal makes absolutely no sense for the Falcons. 

Archived