Saddest Scenes in movies/shows

Ramsay B.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Another tv one I just thought of was The Entire History of You - episode of Black Mirror. The final scene of him taking the implant out is so heartbreaking. 

You just reminded me of Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

2 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

You just reminded me of Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

When I first posted I had Eternal in..mind, but I couldn't come up with any specific scene that was, ultimately, sad.  That's the beautiful thing about that movie and its message.  I suppose the revelation of Wilkinson and Dunst's relationship and then poor Mark Ruffalo acting very sad, but meh.  Meet me in Montauk!

with all due respect to learned interlocutors hereinabove i respectfully submit that holocaust films and scenes wherein a dog dies constitute cheating in a thread such as this.  the relevant persons should therefore arrange for penance to clear their board demerits.

the contrapositive is of course also true: those for whom such items are not cause for lamentation ipso facto lack basic empathy and are accordingly more than likely serial killers.

The overview in the final scenes of The Wire, season 5: the kid who was running with the corner children at the beginning, who had the least of them all, on a traveling horse drawn garbage cart with all those old garbage men. He never even gets mentioned in the write-up overviews of the overview, though he'd been in every season of the show, that's how little his kind matter to the USA YAY.  This was balanced somewhat by equal tear jerker of Bubbles allowed upstairs to his sister's Thanksgiving table.  But that entire episode, where things just sort of peter out like the USA YAY devolves and peters out.  Sigh.  Those that had from the beginning continue to have in some form and another, and those who didn't are worse off than ever.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:58 PM, Whiskeyjack said:

A lot of good choices in this thread.

For movies, one that stands out for me is the end of Arrival.  I thought about it for a long time afterward.  The question of, would you choose to do something, if you knew ahead of time that it would bring you tremendous joy but also end in the worst possible pain?  Its almost impossible to answer

That's a good call. I love this film. Read the story, saw it at the pictures etc. I sat down to watch it again last year and it was like, I'd somehow forgotten the impact of it. When it ended i felt like watching it again. 

Oh yes, damn dog scenes. And yes, I also belong to the people having PTSD about Fry's dog.
I also have another one: Any 90s kid here remembering the giant dog in Monster Ranchers? I barely remember anything about that show, but that episode killed me.

And while I'm at it and though it's not strictly a show: I don't carry around my Umineko signature with me for no reason. When I re-read the story a few years ago and reached the end again, I ended up an uncontrollably sobbing mess for about half an hour.

Watching the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG episodes with my daughter over the course of a month or so, we came to the eleventh show, 草迷宮., aka "Kusanagi's Labyrinth", aka "IN: Grass Labyrinth – AFFECTION".  (Naming conventions for the episodes are problematic in English, given the translation and how they were first broadcast.)

My daughter was about 12 or 13, and not terribly demonstrative, but as the episode was concluding and she realized who the little boy and little girl had been, and what had happened to the little boy who helped the little girl survive, and then what ultimately happened to him, she wept at the sadness of all the missed opportunities.  And of course, that set me off.

I think her reaction to this episode was even sharper than her reaction to Grave of the Fireflies, because the reveal is so shocking, since it comes as a sort of domino effect of cascading revelations to Major Kusanagi and the viewer.

She had a similar reaction to the ending of John Scalzi's Zoe's Tale when she realized what had happened to Enzo.  She was quite upset with me about it for a week, as if the plot were my fault for recommending it to her.  I had to remind her that everybody dies.

E.T The Extra Terrestrial. 

You all know the scene and you know damn well you all cried during it. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure we all needed therapy after that. Some years later, I played a VHS copy so my little sister could see it. I didn't even think she was paying much attention to the movie and she still lost her shit when that scene came on. 

Delicious. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:41 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Last few minutes of six feet under

On 2/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, Nictarion said:

the Six Feet Under final montage. Absolutely wrecks me. 

I doubt I've watched it without crying. It's funny because I don't think of it as a sad ending. [spoiler] got the sad ending. It's affecting but the endings for almost all of the characters are generous. I dunno they're happy tears kinda and I think it remains a pretty unique experience.

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I doubt I've watched it without crying. It's funny because I don't think of it as a sad ending. [spoiler] got the sad ending. It's affecting but the endings for almost all of the characters are generous. I dunno they're happy tears kinda and I think it remains a pretty unique experience.

Keith’s death is pretty tragic. And then David thinking about him right before he himself dies. But the one that really gets me every time is Ruth’s. George being completely inconsolable at her deathbed just hits me so hard. 

I can barely hear that Sia song with getting a little choked up. 

Just now, Nictarion said:

Keith’s death is pretty tragic. And then David thinking about him right before he himself dies. But the one that really gets me every time is Ruth’s. George being completely inconsolable at her deathbed just hits me so hard. 

I can barely hear that Sia song with getting a little choked up. 

It's been a while. I guess based my assessment on not dying young? in my mind they're all aged up in the final sequence. 

I remember watching some other show and they used that Sia song and that was a dealbreaker. That song is taken.

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's been a while. I guess based my assessment on not dying young? in my mind they're all aged up in the final sequence. 

I remember watching some other show and they used that Sia song and that was a dealbreaker. That song is taken.

Yeah, they were all much older by the time of their deaths. Nate was the only one that died young. 

Archived