Modern Book Binding

Reny of Storms End

What has happened to binding books these days? Every hardback that I buy, if it's new, is essentially falling apart upon arrival. I've reached the point where I'm going to stop buying hardback because of the shoddy construction. I did pre-order the new Daniel Abraham, and the cover literally would be falling off the book but for one small bit of glue holding the backpage onto the back cardboard. Before maybe five yrs ago I had never even seen a harshly used hardback in the shape "new" ones published today are in . Does just no one else care, so publishers don't see a need to fix this?

I'm away from my house till the weekend, but when I get a chance I'll upload a photo of what I'm talking about. It's just frustrating to order a new book and have it be so poorly put together that the back cover could easily tear away from being attached to the rest of the book. 

I experienced this with a book I checked out from the library that was published last year, the pages literally just fell out when I was turning them, I felt so bad! I don't think I got fined, weirdly, but it was super bizarre. That's the only recent hardback I've read, I'll have to see what happens to my Age of Ash copy whenever my local store tells me its ready for pickup. 

I was looking through the reviews on amazon for a new release this week where there would have been a very large print run and was amazed at the number of 1 star reviews - not for the writing but for the physical condition of the book. I've occasionally noticed such reviews before but the large number of them within the first week of release clearly indicates there is a problem with this first printing.

Over the past two years I've seen a number of articles about issues with getting access to facilities for large print runs and some publication dates being pushed back as a result.  It does seem like such issues could lead to a poorer job with printing and assembling books.  This seems to cover some of the shortage issues.

https://www.vox.com/culture/22687960/book-shortage-paper-ink-printing-labor-explained

Archived