COVID 46 - Please disperse, nothing to see here!

Week

Ah, Michael Worobey.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/covid-origins-wuhan-china-market-b1960474.html

Around that time period, I remember news like the one above all over certain media outlets. But when you go and check Worobey's article they quoted, you will see something curious.

The author is supported by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm4454

At least he did not hide it, unlike Peter Dazsak.

49 minutes ago, Mithras said:

Is there?

Any virus that crosses the species barrier with the alacrity of COVID-19 has already spent a lot of time making the rounds. Here in Canada deer have been found to have a variant. We are not known for having close personal contact with deer up here as a method of spreading Covid which implies that transmission was by a different route. Bird flu is know to be similar to Covid and birds do fly. 

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this. I would think study is already underway though perhaps this earmarks more dollars for it. Yet another gift from the scolds that never cared about case rate with while arguing about why or why not the hospitalization or death rates were also invalid for some reason or another.

Our health department has said about 9% of current hospital cases are Delta. About 70% of hospital admissions with the infection are because of COVID-19 symptoms. I didn't see any mention about whether recent deaths are Delta or Omicron.

What has happened in Hong Kong? I saw a news report about their hospitals being overwhelmed and 400 people dying last week.

Hong Kong was one of those places critics of our federal government would always point to, saying we should have been like them. Let’s ignore the fact that the comparison is ridiculous, considering size and population. They really have been overwhelmed by Omicrom.

14 hours ago, maarsen said:

We are not known for having close personal contact with deer up here as a method of spreading Covid which implies that transmission was by a different route.

People are suggesting hunters slaughtering the carcasses of infected deer as a possible route.

15 hours ago, Mithras said:

At least he did not hide it, unlike Peter Dazsak.

There is unfortunately some corporate reaction from virologists and other scientists to be more keen to support one theory over another. The reason is obvious, if a lab leak is proven, stronger regulations will inevitably come as well as investigations of past activities, which might doom the field.

Which is not the same to say they are wrong.

Similarly is happening with the discussion whether Omicron comes from an animal or from a chronic infected individual. Despite that we don't have clear evidence of the later, scientists prefer that theory because it would help the "greater good" in the sense of vaccine distribution and public health measures. On the other hand, evidence is emerging that highly evolved SARS-CoV-2 strains are coming from animals, like those deer in Canada or those wastewater samples in New York, which might be associated with rats.

Well most COVID restrictions will end on the 5th here in Austria and it looks like our health minister will step down on the very same day. I guess he can't support that bullshit anymore as numbers are not really falling and he is a doctor and not someone who can pretend that the healthcare and caretaking sectors have recovered.

They are slowly catching up on postponed surgeries but a lot of non-ICU beds have COVID patients in them. ICU bed numbers are steady but not really falling. The staff shortage in the caretaking sector is insane right now.

But society needs party and skiing not people working those essential jobs.

I might have missed an anecdote or two along the way, but I haven't read of anyone's encounter of infants with COVID. A family my sister knows all have COVID-19 including an infant, who has a fever and a cough. Hopefully it doesn't go beyond that, but fevers by themselves can be pretty hazardous for infants. We can all say COVID-19 is not that big of a deal for young children and hand wave it away in the abstract, but for some people the dice roll isn't so kind to their children and they don't just shake it off like a minor sniffle.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I might have missed an anecdote or two along the way, but I haven't read of anyone's encounter of infants with COVID. A family my sister knows all have COVID-19 including an infant, who has a fever and a cough. Hopefully it doesn't go beyond that, but fevers by themselves can be pretty hazardous for infants. We can all say COVID-19 is not that big of a deal for young children and hand wave it away in the abstract, but for some people the dice roll isn't so kind to their children and they don't just shake it off like a minor sniffle.

There were a few thousand infant deaths in Brazil IIRC. But they had a really insane infection rate at that point.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I just found out my 15 month old granddaughter has Covid. We are still waiting to see how it progresses. Right now she has been throwing up and has diarrhea. No fever and no cough so far.

16 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I just found out my 15 month old granddaughter has Covid. We are still waiting to see how it progresses. Right now she has been throwing up and has diarrhea. No fever and no cough so far.

Oh my. All the best to her for a quick and uneventful recovery!

Well our health care minister stepped down quicker than expected.

One of the main reasons he mentioned were to constant threats against him and his family and the need for constant police protection.

The next person for the job does not want it but accepted it because he is a personal friend of the green party leader. I don't expect him to last a year either.

You can't do that job with constant interference not based on science but on appeasement of anti-measure factions.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh my. All the best to her for a quick and uneventful recovery!

It's difficult to keep a child that age hydrated too, one might think, her symptoms being what they are? I'm not a pediatrician though.  

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

Vomiting and diarrhoea is bad too, dehydration in a body that small can come on pretty easily. I hope she makes a speedy recovery, at least from the vomiting so that she can keep food and fluids down.

@Zorral Not wanting to cause undue worry about grandchildren, but yes dehydration is a big concern, and potentially the  cause of death in many of those thousands of children in Brazil who died.

I saw there was a news article today about a new (repurposed) drug that can cut the risk of dying:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/arthritis-drug-could-help-save-covid-patients-study

A drug used to treat rheumatoid arthritis could help to save the lives of patients with severe Covid, researchers have found, and they say its benefits can be seen even when it is used on top of other medications.

Experts involved in the Randomised Evaluation of Covid-19 Therapy (Recovery) trial say baricitinib, an anti-inflammatory drug taken as a tablet, can reduce the risk of death from severe Covid by about a fifth.

However, they add that when the impact of other medications used alongside the drug are also taken into account, the risk of death could be lowered by well over 50% – although the figure will vary from patient to patient.

Archived