COVID 46 - Please disperse, nothing to see here!

Week

CBS NEWS - NY

NEW YORK -- With COVID levels rising in New York City, the mayor will meet with his top health advisors to discuss restoring local mask mandates

New York City's alert level is at "low," but last week Health Commissioner Dr. Ashwin Vasan warned it would likely rise this week to "medium."

Mayor Eric Adams is now scheduled to meet with his health team to see if bringing back the mask mandate is needed.

It's not necessarily what New Yorkers want to hear, but with cases rising again, some are airing on the side of caution by getting that test. 

"Especially with numbers going up, better to be safe than sorry," Bronx resident Mary Drace-Laske told CBS2

Philadelphia did it last week.

~~~~~

Moderna says trial results suggest redesigned vaccines can better protect against variants.
Researchers combined Moderna’s existing vaccine with one designed to attack the Beta variant, and found it provided a stronger defense against several variants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/19/us/politics/moderna-vaccine-beta-variant.html?

Probably, this means people like me will need another series of vaccinations in the fall.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/19/us/politics/moderna-vaccine-beta-variant.html?

Probably, this means people like me will need another series of vaccinations in the fall.

That is indeed exciting news. I just hope that the availability of a second booster is offered to those of us under 50 who are not immune compromised…

56 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Sure… but do you need one?

Probably not, but it’s better than vaccine going to waste, as currently, the uptake on booster shots in the vaccinated US population is fairly low.

Also, although I’m an overall healthy person, my lungs are in rotten shape after a few bouts of pneumonia and bronchitis. I have scarring on my lungs as well as a couple of nodules that are being followed.

Fun!

Fortunately, broadly death and serious disease is way down, however this worsens the challenge of risk assessment for immunocompromised and the unvaccinated.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I lot of people here had two infections in a row from anecdotal evidence. The 2nd round was worse for a few. For some it was already the 3rd round after infections earlier in the pandemic.

None of the vaccinated people I know got reinfected yet but those are folks that mask and test before/after gatherings.

There are not many people left in my circle that never had it. One of them is unvaccinated but really diligent when it comes to masking and testing. He is an introvert that works home office though which makes avoiding people rather easy. Still impressive as all other unvaccinated people I know got it really early and apart from him none avoided to delta wave. All of them were anti-measure from the start though unlike him. Got some kind of massive needle phopia.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Interesting.  Especially that line saying that the risk of reinfection is 10 times higher with the Omicron variant compared with the Delta variant.

Pharma is still looking at modifying the vaccines.

Moderna on Tuesday released clinical data demonstrating that a new version of its Covid-19 vaccine that targets several mutations produced a stronger immune response against the major virus variants, including omicron and delta, than the company’s current shots.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/19/moderna-redesigned-covid-vaccine-produced-stronger-immunity-against-omicron-than-current-shots.html

I expect we will see a new vaccine before the end of the year.  Hopefully that will help.  Even if it doesn't hit the same efficiency levels as the original (against the original COVID).

They are also doing some research on long COVID.  And hoping that anti-virals may help.  But it seems to be moving slowly.

The best evidence so far comes from a National Institutes of Health (NIH) study, currently under peer review, in which researchers conducted autopsies in 44 people who died of COVID-19 or another cause but were infected with COVID. They found widespread infection throughout the body, including in the brain, that can last more than seven months beyond the onset of symptoms.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/case-testing-pfizers-paxlovid-treating-long-covid-2022-04-18/

17 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Interesting.  Especially that line saying that the risk of reinfection is 10 times higher with the Omicron variant compared with the Delta variant.

Pharma is still looking at modifying the vaccines.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/19/moderna-redesigned-covid-vaccine-produced-stronger-immunity-against-omicron-than-current-shots.html

I expect we will see a new vaccine before the end of the year.  Hopefully that will help.  Even if it doesn't hit the same efficiency levels as the original (against the original COVID).

They are also doing some research on long COVID.  And hoping that anti-virals may help.  But it seems to be moving slowly.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/case-testing-pfizers-paxlovid-treating-long-covid-2022-04-18/

I saw a German documentary about long covid recently in which they said that they detected signs of the virus in the bloodstream more than a year after the initial infection. A gift that keeps on giving in a limited number of cases.

My uncle with long COVID has developed severe liver issues now and they have yet to discover another cause. :(

A kid at my work had it twice in a month, just before and just after Christmas. 

In other news while I'm not 'diagnosed' - gonna try to get to the doctor next week to talk it over, though ultimately given the newness of this I don't think there's a lot she's gonna be able to say beyond 'yeah if you've been having these symptoms since you got covid you've got long covid, rest up'- even mild long covid sucks and I hate it. While I'm not as constantly exhausted as I was when I last complained, though still more easily tired than I should be, I'm now feeling a wonderful phenomenon where all the little joint and muscle pains I've been having on and off for the last few years- some relatively often, some very occasionally, rarely concurrently- have all hit at the same time. None of them are major pains just yet but considering I work a pretty active job it's not ideal. 

I never paid too much attention to Big Pharma before but it doesn't take much reading to get depressed.  For example, repurposing drugs to use against COVID.

Definitive answers on some repurposed drugs were slow in coming because there were too many small, poorly designed studies by “every man and his dog,” Rayner said. He calculates up to $5.6 billion has been wasted on hydroxychloroquine clinical trials alone.

A recent World Health Organization resolution called for better coordination and information-sharing among those organizing trials so that definitive answers can be obtained quickly with big pots of data.

Two days after Boulware’s submission, FDA authorized Merck to market its drug molnupiravir, which in its clinical trial showed about as much effectiveness as fluvoxamine, and also had side effects like nausea and dizziness. Fluvoxamine also can cause insomnia and anxiety; molnupiravir is not recommended for pregnant women or anyone, male or female, having unprotected sex, because it caused genetic and fetal damage in test animals.

Still, federal guidelines recommend molnupiravir in certain settings, and the government has bought more than 3 million doses for about $2.2 billion, or $733 per dose. Fluvoxamine, a generic, goes for less than $5 a pill.

If fluvoxamine were a new drug, the company sponsoring it would have spent the money needed to get the drug approved and to show the FDA it has the means to monitor the drug’s safety and efficacy. Since it’s an old drug, it will be up to independent scientists, or perhaps a reluctant generics manufacturer, to sponsor safety monitoring should the FDA provide an emergency use authorization, Rayner said.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/clinical/why-cheap-older-drugs-might-treat-covid-never-get-out-lab

The global (official) daily death toll keeps falling, at well under 5,000 deaths per day according to Worldometer. We have regularly been at over 10k for most of the pandemic.

I wonder if this number will hit a plateau soon (before an inevitable rise next winter, with 90% of the world living in the northern hemisphere). Or could it keep falling for a while?

OTOH, an awful lot of covid stats, from testing, asymptomatic, symptomatic, positive, sick, long covid, re-infection, break-through infection, even hospitalizations and deaths are not being reported/compiled.  Even as far as testing goes: a lot of people test at home, if they test, and those numbers aren't reported.

The only thing the 'experts' agree on is that nobody knows and everything is very confusing, but hey it's over, move on and bury those masks babee.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

I wonder if this number will hit a plateau soon (before an inevitable rise next winter, with 90% of the world living in the northern hemisphere). Or could it keep falling for a while?

Fair point.  Deaths have reached their lowest point since March 2020.  A very positive development, even if all fatalities aren't being counted (not that they ever were).

I'd be cautiously optimistic about the summer but a new major variant is the big unknown.  It does seem inevitable that cases will increase significantly this coming winter.  Can new vaccines limit the effects?  This winter, the peak was only 25% lower than the previous winter (despite vaccinations).  If we don't drop that by another 25% next winter then the world has failed again but we should be aiming to do much better than that.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

OTOH, an awful lot of covid stats, from testing, asymptomatic, symptomatic, positive, sick, long covid, re-infection, break-through infection, even hospitalizations and deaths are not being reported/compiled.  Even as far as testing goes: a lot of people test at home, if they test, and those numbers aren't reported.

The only thing the 'experts' agree on is that nobody knows and everything is very confusing, but hey it's over, move on and bury those masks babee.

There is always significant undercounting, but the official death counts still provide directional information on the state of the pandemic. And this is a pandemic low on that front. Let’s hope it continues to fall.

Archived