Which ASOIAF Character is Who In Dune?

Corvo the Crow

As you know, GRRM straight of took a lot of things from Dune

Maesters are Mentats and perhaps also Bene Gesserits

Shade of the Evening is Sapho Juice

Weirwood Paste is Water of Life

Faceless Men are Face Dancers

Water Dancers are probably Swordmasters of Ginaz, Ginaz being a world mostly covered by ocean and Braavos being built on many small islands

and likely many other things, including characters:

Bran seems to be on a path to become The Godworm.

Arya is Alia of the Knife without the prescience but have Face Dancing

Are there any other characters taken straight off of Dune?

Jon - Paul. Catelyn is a bit like Jessica. Ned - Leto Atreides. Emperor Shaddam - maybe a bit like Tywin Lannister (he gave his daughter for marriage with the leader of the rebels - Paul/Robert - princess Irulan/Cersei - something like that). Duncan Idaho - uncle Benjen? Rabban - Euron. Feyd - Ramsay. Stilgar - Mance Rayder. Liet - Tormund (maybe). Chani - Val? Baron - Varys (maybe). Leto II (Paul and Chani's son)/God Emperor of Dune - Rhaego/The Stallion that Mounts the World.

Seems that Dany isn't based on any of the Dune's characters, not even a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Two very different stories, set in different universes and written by different authors.  But to play along, here goes.

Wayman Manderly is disgusting and malevolent. He is Baron Harkonnen.

King Aerys Targaryen, II is the Padishah Emperor.

Arya is a Bene Gesseret for certain.

Tyrion is Piter. He also has some of Kynes' role. 

Daenerys is Irulan Corrino with some Leto II.

The Unsullied are the Sarduakar.

Jon is the traitor, Wellington Yueh with a bit of Raban.

Bran is a mentat

Aegon V is Paul.  He set everything in motion to bring about the birth of Daenerys and the dragons.

Barristan is Gurney

Jorah is Duncan

I only see a few random bits of Dune in the ASOIAF series. The Face Dancers/Faceless Men, the hallucinogenic/prophetic substances, possibly Leto II/Bran (though that's more of a guess at this point), maybe some of the early story beats. GRRM has no qualms borrowing from and reworking older stories, but I'm guessing that Dune was only a minor influence. More substantial than Howl's Moving Castle, but not as substantial as Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

I finally watched the new Dune movie and...it was okay. The ending was more satisfying than I thought it would be, given that it wraps up midway through Book One. But it felt very generic, stripped of so much that made the story unique. And all of the scenes with Harkonnens were boring as hell. Why were they so damn lifeless?

6 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I only see a few random bits of Dune in the ASOIAF series. The Face Dancers/Faceless Men, the hallucinogenic/prophetic substances, possibly Leto II/Bran (though that's more of a guess at this point), maybe some of the early story beats. GRRM has no qualms borrowing from and reworking older stories, but I'm guessing that Dune was only a minor influence. More substantial than Howl's Moving Castle, but not as substantial as Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

I finally watched the new Dune movie and...it was okay. The ending was more satisfying than I thought it would be, given that it wraps up midway through Book One. But it felt very generic, stripped of so much that made the story unique. And all of the scenes with Harkonnens were boring as hell. Why were they so damn lifeless?

I liked the mini-series.  The campy scenes of the 1984 version give it charm.  The new Dune is the best to me.  Rebecca is my favorite Jessica. 

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a bit of time on a Dune wiki, and I like the asoiaf/Dune connection more and more.

Mentats truly are maesters!! Experts in absolutely everything - I didn't expect to see that twice in fiction.  Mentats are more believable though - at least they're presented as exceptional. Just about anyone thinks they can be a maester.

Jessica does remind of me Catelyn - not so much the background, but the tone (the seriousness, but also intense love), and the focus on the children. And there is that one big parallel of supporting a son becoming head of family/warleader/king at a very young age.

Now I'm thinking why oh why did grrm call oberyn's daughters the Sandsnakes.

5 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Mentats truly are maesters!! Experts in absolutely everything

If maesters were experts at everything then they wouldn't be wearing different chains with different sets of links. Also, I think you've set the bar too high. In an illiterate society where almost no one has any formal education, imagine how knowledgeable and wise you'd seem with just the equivalent of a modern high school diploma. The Citadel is the only formal non-religious education system in the Seven Kingdoms. People leave at all different points with different numbers of links. It's like some leaving with a high school diploma, some with a university degree, and some with a post-graduate degree. 

1 hour ago, Groo said:

If maesters were experts at everything then they wouldn't be wearing different chains with different sets of links. Also, I think you've set the bar too high. In an illiterate society where almost no one has any formal education, imagine how knowledgeable and wise you'd seem with just the equivalent of a modern high school diploma. The Citadel is the only formal non-religious education system in the Seven Kingdoms. People leave at all different points with different numbers of links. It's like some leaving with a high school diploma, some with a university degree, and some with a post-graduate degree. 

Sensible argument, but I've not seen it (I've only read the main series, plus a bit of Dunk & Egg).

What we do see, is that generally there's one maester per castle. Cressen had an assistant, but that is exactly because he was very old and Pylos was in line as replacement. So one maester really does cover everything. No associate maesters with a range of expertise. It doesn't make sense, but there it is. 

24 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

What we do see, is that generally there's one maester per castle. Cressen had an assistant, but that is exactly because he was very old and Pylos was in line as replacement. So one maester really does cover everything. No associate maesters with a range of expertise. It doesn't make sense, but there it is. 

It's fine for a fictional story but you're right that it doesn't make sense. Take Winterfell's very own Maester Luwin, for example. He tends the ravens and handles all Winterfell communication, tends all the sick and delivers the babies, educates the Stark children and Theon, balances the books and keeps track of Winterfell's revenues, serves as advisor to the Starks, etc., etc., etc. The man must be a machine who never sleeps. Come to think of it, maybe you're right. Maybe Luwin is a mentat!

Archived