Funniest Characters

Corvo the Crow

So with all the "Most X","Best Y" etc. threads going on, this had to be opened. Who are the funniest characters do you think? 

My opinion, on their own Tormund is by far the funniest followed closely by Stannis (I love his deadpan) and Val. When several people interact, Val, Tormund and Jon's banter was probably the most hillarious thing in the series, followed by Val and Jon and Stannis and Jon. Jon isn't that funny on his own but when with others, he becomes rather funny.

Edit: How could I forget, Dolorous Edd is right there up with Stannis.

Well, I should've given some examples so here's starting with the Stannis the Mannis himself.

Sighing, Renly half turned in the saddle. "What am I to do with this brother of mine, Brienne? He refuses my peach, he refuses my castle, he even shunned my wedding . . ."

"We both know your wedding was a mummer's farce. A year ago you were scheming to make the girl one of Robert's whores."

"A year ago I was scheming to make the girl Robert's queen," Renly said, "but what does it matter? The boar got Robert and I got Margaery. You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid."

"In your bed she's like to die that way."

:rofl:

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

So with all the "Most X","Best Y" etc. threads going on, this had to be opened. Who are the funniest characters do you think? 

My opinion, on their own Tormund is by far the funniest followed closely by Stannis (I love his deadpan) and Val. When several people interact, Val, Tormund and Jon's banter was probably the most hillarious thing in the series, followed by Val and Jon and Stannis and Jon. Jon isn't that funny on his own but when with others, he becomes rather funny.

Edit: How could I forget, Dolorous Edd is right there up with Stannis.

"I never win anything," Dolorous Edd complained. "The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?"

"Was it a long fall?" Grenn wanted to know. "Did landing in the pool of water save his life?"

"No," said Dolorous Edd. "He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks."

Dolorous Edd hands down.

I agree. Stannis makes me laugh.

Victarion Greyjoy's contempt for everything coupled with his stupidity makes me laugh a lot - his final chapter in Winds is one of my favorite chapters in the whole series. 

Arya's internal monologue is pretty amusing in its audacity "hmm... maybe I'll have to kill Gendry..."

And of course the queen of comedy Cersei Lannister  has some brilliant chapters.

Jaime and Stannis are also funny. My favorites being

“Who in seven hells is this one?”
“The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard,” Jaime returned with cold courtesy. “I might ask the same of you, my lady.”
“Lady? I’m no lady. I’m the queen.”
“My sister will be surprised to hear that.”
“Lord Ryman crowned me his very self.” She gave a shake of her ample hips. “I’m the queen o’ whores.”
No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.”

And 

"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."

13 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

How so? I don't recall him doing stuff like "Edd, the dead don't need to sleep and you've got the watch tonight, so get up and take this spear." 

He just seems like a creep, to me. 

Just the way that he is so old and “over” everything. He doesn’t give a fuck how he talks to his family even with lordly guest. Cracks me up. 

For some reason I never thought Dolorous was that funny, he like reminds me of Eeyore.  Jon seems to enjoy his never ending melancholy jokes though, like he also likes Pyps jokes. I do too, hes a good hype man, like Kevin Hart.

Jon also thinks Stannis is funny, because obv, but questiones if Stannis knows he's funny, which is a really good question.

Can this man Mors be trusted?" asked Stannis.

Has Mors Umber bent the knee? "Your Grace should have him swear an oath before his heart tree."

Godry the Giantslayer guffawed. "I had forgotten that you northmen worship trees."

"What sort of god lets himself be pissed upon by dogs?" asked Farring's crony Clayton Suggs.

Jon chose to ignore them.

Will I trade three hundred fighters for three thousand? Aye, I will. I am not an utter fool. If I leave the girl with you as well, do I have your word that you will keep our princess closely?"

She is not a princess. "As you wish, Your Grace."

"Do I need to make you swear an oath before a tree?"

"No." Was that a jape? With Stannis, it was hard to tell.

"Done, then. Now, where are these men?"

Stannis as a character is very no nonsense and condescending and his humor perfectly reflects that. 

But imo Stannis does not know he's funny, just naturally is. Unlike Renly who's moderately funny (very condescending humor too) but that appears to be on purpose, with Petyr like jokes intended to make others laugh. Robert and his bastards aren't very funny.

Roberts kids are funny though, well two of them are. Idk why Tommens not funny. I do know why Keaven and Tywin aren't. Tywin mistrusts laughter and Keaven knows that.

(That's my issue with Stannis, on why he must not know he's comedic. Dudes a joke. A demented clown that repeats the same gibberish every day, he's like his daughters friend. Then you add the wacky religion and his bearded wife and the punchlines write themselves. But Stannis remains gold, so in contrast with Tywin I'd say Stannis is just obliviously hysterical. In any case it definitely makes him way more likable then Tywin)

The three siblings though, honestly ones funnier then the next. Tyrion's got the most lines so it's hard to beat that but if anyone can it's Jamie and Cersei. Their interactions with each other are usually the funniest parts of asoiaf.

Walder got jokes for sure, they're kinda nauseating sometimes "I never said mayhaps" lol. But if your into those bad guy jokes then Euron and Ramsay won't disappoint. Petyr and Sandor are less dark but still reasonably dark. Theon was funny but Reek lost his sense of humor. Dany and the Stark girls can be surprisingly funny too

On 2/19/2022 at 2:45 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

How so? I don't recall him doing stuff like "Edd, the dead don't need to sleep and you've got the watch tonight, so get up and take this spear." 

He just seems like a creep, to me. 

Reread his conversation with Catelyn. It’s great. 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, Hugorfonics said:

For some reason I never thought Dolorous was that funny, he like reminds me of Eeyore.  Jon seems to enjoy his never ending melancholy jokes though, like he also likes Pyps jokes. I do too, hes a good hype man, like Kevin Hart.

Jon also thinks Stannis is funny, because obv, but questiones if Stannis knows he's funny, which is a really good question.

Stannis as a character is very no nonsense and condescending and his humor perfectly reflects that. 

But imo Stannis does not know he's funny, just naturally is. ...

... But Stannis remains gold, so in contrast with Tywin I'd say Stannis is just obliviously hysterical. In any case it definitely makes him way more likable then Tywin)

I agree that Stannis does not know he is funny. He seems a man who is always squinting at the world in distrust, which gives him a slanted worldview, so his observations seem humorous because so much of comedy is about turning our expectations slightly on their head.

The clincher for me is that Stannis does not appreciate humour from others. Which makes him an interesting contrast with Jon, who enjoys the company of funny people like Tyrion, Pyp and Tormund, and will banter with them, but is not actually comedic himself.

(Dolorous Edd I enjoy, but I'm British so I have a strong taste for self-depreciating bleak comedy.)

19 hours ago, Buried Treasure said:

Dolorous Edd I enjoy, but I'm British so I have a strong taste for self-depreciating bleak comedy.)

Oh, so that's what's going on, lol

19 hours ago, Buried Treasure said:

I agree that Stannis does not know he is funny. He seems a man who is always squinting at the world in distrust, which gives him a slanted worldview, so his observations seem humorous because so much of comedy is about turning our expectations slightly on their head.

The clincher for me is that Stannis does not appreciate humour from others. Which makes him an interesting contrast with Jon, who enjoys the company of funny people like Tyrion, Pyp and Tormund, and will banter with them, but is not actually comedic himself.

(Dolorous Edd I enjoy, but I'm British so I have a strong taste for self-depreciating bleak comedy.)

That's true, Jon if not a laugh out loud kinda guy definitely does enjoy hanging with funny people while Stannis doesn't understand why or even how his brother enjoys life (or was it enjoying peaches? Is there a difference?)

(I think that's the Targ side of him, like Starks have no sense of humor but at least Jon's trying)

I recently saw HBOs special on the life of Bob Einstein (Funk man!) and Sarah Silverman explained that in basic comedy you got the funny man and the straight man and somehow Bob Einstein morphed the two into one and created comedy gold. Imo this is very Stannis like too, he is his own straight man. 

• 1 month later...

Archived