US Politics: Putin up with Trump

Ormond

Here's definitive proof this Republican senator is afraid of Donald Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/politics/tom-cotton-trump-putin-russia-ukraine/index.html

Why can't you condemn that? I feel quite confident that if ... a Barack Obama or Joe Biden said something like that, you'd be first in line to criticize him.

Cotton: Again, George, if you want to talk to the former President about his views or his message, you can have him on your show. My message to Vladimir Putin is quite clear. He needs to leave Ukraine unless he wants to face moms and teenagers with Molotov cocktails and grandmothers and grandfathers with AK-47s for years to come. I'm speaking on behalf of all Arkansans who want me to send that message to him.

What Cotton would like Stephanopoulos -- and you -- to believe is that because he is not, in fact, Donald Trump, he is unable to offer any opinion at all on the former President and his praise for Putin as "smart" for invading Ukraine.

By that standard, Cotton would never be able to comment on anything he hasn't said or done himself because, well, he is only one person. He wouldn't be able to criticize Democrats because he isn't one of them. (Somehow, of course, it seems Cotton's policy doesn't apply to the other party.)

What's really going on here is simple: Cotton, like virtually every other ambitious Republican, is afraid of Trump and the Trump base.

There's a zero percent chance that Cotton, among the most hawkish of politicians when it comes to Russia and other foreign adversaries, agrees with Trump's praise of Putin. None.

My latest Trump email uses tonight's State of the Union address as a lead-in for another iteration of Trump's faux survey.

It includes this paragraph:

Joe Biden is giving his first State of the Union Address TONIGHT, and while he’s preparing what we all know will be a boring speech, I want to know what YOU think about the State of OUR Union.

You know, when the only insult Trump can give Biden is that his speech is going to be boring, it's pretty pathetic. Surely they could have come up with something more insulting than that. :)  

54 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You know, when the only insult Trump can give Biden is that his speech is going to be boring, it's pretty pathetic. Surely they could have come up with something more insulting than that. :)  

Trump’s insults have always had the wit and execution of a third grader. Nothing new here.

"The MAGA Trucker Convoy Is Mad Ukraine Is Getting All the Attention Right Now
As Russia's invasion dominates headlines, some freedom convoy "truckers" are desperately trying to figure out how to make it about them."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3ngk9/trucker-convoy-usa-ukraine-attention

Let us not forget that these 'convoys' are part of and funded by the neofascist international, headed by Putin.

So, no wonder these dumbasses have their knickers knotted up their asses trying to spin this.

Also, the reich militias banned from fb, are now taking over the maga freedom convoy groups.

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Ukraine thread, but I’ve been monitoring the world of conservative Reddit for the last week or so, and here’s a brief timeline of their sentiments:

Things started out with the general sentiment of lol Putin’s a boss, look how scared he got everyone by just moving some troops around. 4d (5d, 6d, 100d) chess master!

Once the invasion actually happened the feeling among the Trumpists quickly became how’s this our problem?/Russia’s got a right to protect their border

As the entire fucking world united against Putin the Trumpists shifted to okay, so this is bad, but it’s all Joe Biden’s fault

That last sentiment still holds sway, but as it’s becoming more and more difficult to defend, the position of the Trumpists is starting to shift to why are we even talking about this? Let’s not talk about this any more

This space has become kinda dead since Ukraine took up all the oxygen, so in the spirit of trying to generate some controversy - what do you all think about Rashida Tlaib delivering a response (ostensibly on behalf of the Working Families Party) to her own party's president delivering the SotU?

I'm personally quite ambivalent.  On the one hand it's pretty clear Tlaib is not going to be attacking Biden, but rather promoting the progressive agenda she and The Squad represent.  That sounds reasonable.  OTOH, it is understandable that some view it as undermining Biden and more importantly impeding the projection of a united front - which is of course what the SotU is all about.  Particularly at a time when Putin's invasion is highlighting the insane intraparty divisions of the GOP.

I suppose my biggest takeaway is this highlights how difficult Biden's job is -- and, depressingly, how difficult it will be to turn his approval ratings around as long as inflation remains a political/electoral albatross.  Other than that, he could write a very hopeful and ambitious SotU. 

All other macroeconomic indicators look stellar compared to a year ago, he could claim "victory" on responding to covid with restrictions being relaxed and a return to normalcy in sight, and of course on Ukraine he can rightfully take credit for uniting the entire western world on a cogent, coordinated, and stern response to Russian aggression. 

The problem with the latter - and in different but similar ways the first two - is that it's difficult to take credit for the western response on Ukraine precisely because he achieved it not by publicly browbeating European holdouts, but rather by encouraging them to come around on their own and maintaining a united front in the meantime.  In conclusion, presidenting is hard.

39 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

That last sentiment still holds sway, but as it’s becoming more and more difficult to defend, the position of the Trumpists is starting to shift to why are we even talking about this? Let’s not talk about this any more

Which is the most interesting thing.  Because it has shifted attention as @Zorral pointed out away from their bullshit complaints and beautifully illustrated just how petty and whiney those complaints actually are.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

This space has become kinda dead since Ukraine took up all the oxygen, so in the spirit of trying to generate some controversy - what do you all think about Rashida Tlaib delivering a response (ostensibly on behalf of the Working Families Party) to her own party's president delivering the SotU?

I echo Kai Ryssdal and wonder why the fuck are Democrats so good at shooting their own dick off

Have to admit, this was pretty fucking hilarious.  Pause on the horrified look on the guy's face at the ten second mark before they quickly cut away.  :lol:

Note: I do not follow this account.  Saw it posted elsewhere and laughed out loud.

5 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

I'm assuming this is rhetorical

Especially after the past two years where they've allowed countless conservatives to die because they refused to admit that masks and vaccinations work.

19 minutes ago, briantw said:

Have to admit, this was pretty fucking hilarious.  Pause on the horrified look on the guy's face at the ten second mark before they quickly cut away.  :lol:

Heh, I've never followed local news - here in Pitt or anywhere else - but yeah pretty damn funny that happened here.  

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, I've never followed local news - here in Pitt or anywhere else - but yeah pretty damn funny that happened here.  

I also think this is what tends to separate liberals and conservatives.  Liberals are fine with laughing at their leaders.  Conservatives get angry and violent when theirs are made fun of.

Just now, briantw said:

I also think this is what tends to separate liberals and conservatives.  Liberals are fine with laughing at their leaders.  Conservatives get angry and violent when theirs are made fun of.

It's really strange how they demand Republican presidents need to be respected by Democrats, but then they're totally fine with mock assassinations of Democratic presidents.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's really strange how they demand Republican presidents need to be respected by Democrats, but then they're totally fine with mock assassinations of Democratic presidents.

It's the same reason that there aren't many good conservative comedians.  To be a successful comedian you need empathy and an ability to poke fun at yourself, and the right largely lacks that. 

I also think Republicans in this country for whatever reason have a massive inferiority complex, perhaps because they are almost always in the wrong on social issues.

This email just arrived a few seconds ago:

I want to meet you, Ck.

My RALLY in South Carolina is coming up. It will be HUGE, but I told my team that I have one special request - I want YOU to be there.

We’ll cover your flight, hotel, you’ll get VIP tickets to the rally to meet me backstage, AND I’ve even set aside some time for us to take a photo together. This will be a trip you DON’T want to miss.

This offer is ONLY meant for you, Ck. I’m trusting you not to share this with ANYONE.

Please contribute $5 IMMEDIATELY to enter to win a trip to meet ME at my upcoming rally in South Carolina. >>

This once-in-a-lifetime offer to meet your favorite President backstage at a rally won’t be available for long.

When I look over the entry list later tonight, will I see your name, Ck?

Contribute $5 RIGHT NOW to enter to meet me and get your name on the list I see.

Thank you,

Archived