US Politics: Putin up with Trump

Ormond

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Missouri bill legalizes murder of women by not letting them seek medical care for a dangerous and lethal medical condition.

To be clear this bill hasn't even passed the Missouri House and the Republican Senate Majority Leader had this to say about it:

That it may not pass is not the point.

The point is that They want this and are trying to do this and much else, and They aren't going to stop.  They do what They say They will do.  It's not a joke to throw out and see what sticks. This barbarity and cruelty to women has already stuck with Them.  So it may not go somewhere this year, there's next year, and the year after.  

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That it may not pass is not the point.

The point is that They want this and are trying to do this and much else, and They aren't going to stop.  They do what They say They will do.  It's not a joke to throw out and see what sticks. This barbarity and cruelty to women has already stuck with Them.  So it may not go somewhere this year, there's next year, and the year after.  

I understand your point, but yes, it is still important to clarify that the bill will not become law as it's currently written.  It's also important to understand the context - here's a good article that explains why the bill is still dangerous, while including this:

Ectopic pregnancies can be life-threatening if the pregnancy is not quickly terminated. Lee-Gilmore said the lawmaker appears to be“conflating” miscarriage management with abortion in this legislative text, “which can be very dangerous to the provision of care.”

Seitz told HuffPost that his team has seen pushback on the part about ectopic pregnancies and is “adding an amendment to clarify” that would read: “nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a licensed physician or health care provider from performing a lawful medical procedure on a patient to treat an ectopic pregnancy.”

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I wonder how much they make off this shit.  Seems like the [kind] of thing you could write a few thousand words a day at, easy.  Imagine becoming the Robert Stanek of Trump fan fiction?  $$$

Honestly I don't think I could force myself to write down to that level and don't think my soul could handle it if I did.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

It's also important to understand the context - here's a good article that explains why the bill is still dangerous, while including this:

You know, I know very well what an ectopic pregnancy means and why the bill is still dangerous, thank you.'

Ignorant men who will not learn anything about the mechanics of reproduction, yet believe they have the right to tell women what to do to deal with these matters are the actual frackin' danger here.

One of my aunts died of ectopic pregnancy, and I've quite a few friends who went through all kinds of hell with one, more than one of them nearly dying, and sick for a long time.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

You know, I know very well what an ectopic pregnancy means and why the bill is still dangerous, thank you.'

I don't know why you're being hostile just because I wanted to clarify that the bill isn't going to pass, particularly the provision about ectopic pregnancies.

Because a man felt it necessary to explain to women why anything that interferes with terminating an ectopic pregnancy is very dangerous to the woman suffering one? :dunno:

In the meantime --

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Because a man felt it necessary to explain to women why anything that interferes with terminating an ectopic pregnancy is very dangerous to the woman suffering one? :dunno:

Jeebus, I linked to the HuffPo article because it reinforces, or "explains," your own argument - which I agree with!  Stop trying to pick a fight.

Manchin opposes Sarah Bloom Raskin's nomination for Fed Vice Chair:

“I have carefully reviewed Sarah Bloom Raskin’s qualifications and previous public statements. Her previous public statements have failed to satisfactorily address my concerns about the critical importance of financing an all-of-the-above energy policy to meet our nation’s critical energy needs,” Manchin said in a statement.

What a fucking jackass.  Why anyone in the world would believe his claims that the climate change provisions are the one aspect of the reconciliation bill he wants to retain is beyond me.

Convoys we can support, driven by real heroes, not a buncha whiney snowflakes who freak out at Belt drivers who laugh at them. Or, as in Ontario, stealing food from homeless peoples' canteens coz they couldn't bear to miss one single of their 8 meals per day.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/diplomacy-efforts-step-up-after-russian-strike-ukraine-base-2022-03-14/

"First convoy escapes besieged Mariupol but aid convoy blocked"

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

What a coward. This is why he lost to Cruz. 

Beto is so bizarre on policy stuff.  I know he's in Texas so that explains a lot of it, but hell, dude.

Could also just be out of context, he's saying it's not taught in schools and he doesn't think it should be, that's way different than supporting legislation like we've been seeing on every red state.  

Out of curiosity though, why do you think he lost to Cruz-- was there a specific issue he flip-flopped on?

25 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Could also just be out of context, he's saying it's not taught in schools and he doesn't think it should be, that's way different than supporting legislation like we've been seeing on every red state.  

Yeah, I take it to mean not teaching CRT in secondary schools, which, of course is just a gaslighting campaign since no one is, and no one is proposing.  We also don't teach quantum entanglement, brain surgery, or how to operate a main battle tank in secondary school (we have Ukrainian Youtube for the later).   At first I thought this was such a strange hill to die on for the right, but I suspect it just boils down to a dog whistle substitute where the the politicians can say CRT and the base receives it as "dont teach civil rights, racism awareness, or equality" in schools.  I've also learned that the more laughable I find a particular political or policy position, the more effective it is with the conservative base. 

39 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Beto is so bizarre on policy stuff.  I know he's in Texas so that explains a lot of it, but hell, dude.

He's playing defense which is the mistake. Say it's not being taught in schools and anyone who says it is a flat out liar. When you say you agree that it shouldn't be you're confirming that people are saying it should be. These little nuances in language are important. 

Out of curiosity though, why do you think he lost to Cruz-- was there a specific issue he flip-flopped on?

No, it was his unwillingness to attack Cruz that cost him. Remember for example that he walked back calling him dishonest. Dishonest. Ted is one of the biggest fucking liars on the planet and this dude was uneasy calling him dishonest. He lacks the stomach for the fight needed to win statewide in Texas.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's playing defense which is the mistake. Say it's not being taught in schools and anyone who says it is a flat out liar. When you say you agree that it shouldn't be you're confirming that people are saying it should be. These little nuances in language are important. 

Eh.  It's not like anyone on either side thinks he's actually sincere here right?  I vaguely remember hearing that Mr. O'Rourke was also "no longer coming for your guns".  I guess there's some utility in convincing the disenganged that if they do get engaged you're a moderate, but it's a mid term election.  Any half way decent election official can find more votes in his trunk than you'd win by bullshitting the unengaged.

“I’m very reluctant to go down the path of electric vehicles,” Manchin said at the energy conference CERAWeek, held in Houston. “I’m old enough to remember standing in line in 1974 trying to buy gas – I remember those days. I don’t want to have to be standing in line waiting for a battery for my vehicle, because we’re now dependent on a foreign supply chain, mostly China.”

“I’ve read history, and I remember Henry Ford inventing the Model-T, but I sure as hell don’t remember the US government building filling stations,” Manchin said to applause. “The market did that.”

I will be donating to anyone who wants to primary him.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:48 AM, mormont said:

Again, the idea of replacing both the sitting President and VP with another candidate, and benefitting from that move, is pretty much in the realms of fantasy.

I disagree. If Biden "chooses" to not run again, then VP is out the window. A VP has no hold on the nomination at that point--it goes back to a primary. The only way Kamala is still in the mix is if Biden steps down before the end of his presidency. There's a good chance Biden doesn't run again or is asked to step aside due to his age alone. 

Anyway, a half assed list:

James K. Polk decided to not run a second term, and Zachary Taylor who was the next President was not Polk's VP.

James Buchanan served one term, and the next President--Lincoln--was not his VP.

Rutherford Hayes served 1 term and preceded James Garfield was not his VP.

These are literally the first three Presidents I found who served only one term and their VP did not continue the path forward). I'm sure the list is much longer.

Archived