US Politics: Putin up with Trump

Ormond

Why the author thinks we're having a civil war here in the US, which is going to get much, much worse, part 2 --

" ‘They are preparing for war’: An expert on civil wars discusses where political extremists are taking this country"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2022/03/08/they-are-preparing-war-an-expert-civil-wars-discusses-where-political-extremists-are-taking-this-country/

.... But the reality is, if we don’t talk about it, [violent extremists] are going to continue to organize, and they’re going to continue to train. There are definitely lots of groups on the far right who want war. They are preparing for war. And not talking about it does not make us safer.

What we’re heading toward is an insurgency, which is a form of a civil war. That is the 21st-century version of a civil war, especially in countries with powerful governments and powerful militaries, which is what the United States is. And it makes sense. An insurgency tends to be much more decentralized, often fought by multiple groups. Sometimes they’re actually competing with each other. Sometimes they coordinate their behavior. They use unconventional tactics. They target infrastructure. They target civilians. They use domestic terror and guerrilla warfare. Hit-and-run raids and bombs. We’ve already seen this in other countries with powerful militaries, right? The IRA took on the British government. Hamas has taken on the Israeli government. These are two of the most powerful militaries in the world. And they fought for decades. And in the case of Hamas I think we could see a third intifada. And they pursue a similar strategy.

Here it’s called leaderless resistance. And that method of how to defeat a powerful government like the United States is outlined in what people are calling the bible of the far right: “The Turner Diaries,” which is this fictitious account of a civil war against the U.S. government. It lays out how you do this. And one of the things it says is, Do not engage the U.S. military. You know, avoid it at all costs. Go directly to targets around the country that are difficult to defend and disperse yourselves so it’s hard for the government to identify you and infiltrate you and eliminate you entirely. ....

I too, like her, have been watching all these signs for years -- quite a long time before she was, it took orangeadehair and her father who lived through the formation of nazi Germany to get her to see it -- and coming up with the same conclusions.  Like her, been greeted with outright hostility for even saying such things!

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Why the author thinks we're having a civil war here in the US, which is going to get much, much worse, part 2 --

" ‘They are preparing for war’: An expert on civil wars discusses where political extremists are taking this country"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2022/03/08/they-are-preparing-war-an-expert-civil-wars-discusses-where-political-extremists-are-taking-this-country/

I too, like her, have been watching all these signs for years -- quite a long time before she was, it took orangeadehair and her father who lived through the formation of nazi Germany to get her to see it -- and coming up with the same conclusions.  Like her, been greeted with outright hostility for even saying such things!

Zorral,

I’m seeing a bit of a shift in my “other side” family.  With Ukraine and the one term former President who lives in Florida’s support for the Russian dictator… I’m seeing a shift back toward a more… rational version of their “conservatism”.

53 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Zorral,

I’m seeing a bit of a shift in my “other side” family.  With Ukraine and the one term former President who lives in Florida’s support for the Russian dictator… I’m seeing a shift back toward a more… rational version of their “conservatism”.

Please, from your fingers to god's ears, let this be so.

59 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Zorral,

Nothing about Putin's invasion of Ukraine is anything other than evil, but this might be the silver lining for us in the states.

Just now, Wilbur said:

Nothing about Putin's invasion of Ukraine is anything other than evil, but this might be the silver lining for us in the states.

I hope so.  Support for Putin and an unwillingness to back Ukraine will, I sincerely hope, be a political liability in 2022 and 2024.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

But -- Partner just informed me the comments to the Civil War analyst's interviews have been closed by the WaPo after only a 100+ due to the extremity of the violence and threats in them.

Nor is there anything good to come from yet another proxy war in which others suffer and die to save the USA from itself.

seems none of the 'small donors' won a chance to chow down on hamburgers with Trump. 'Administrative Error' 

Trump Held a Contest for Small-Dollar Donors to Have Dinner With Him. No One Won (msn.com)

Maybe some of this sounds familiar...

---------------

It’s unclear how much money the pitches raised for Save America PAC, the former president’s political action committee, or how many people donated. But similar contests brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars, people involved with them told the Post. A Trump spokesperson chalked up the lack of a winner in this contest to an “administrative error.”

“President Trump has awarded more than 100 prizes to contest winners across America, but due to an administrative error in this individual circumstance, the contest winner was not properly notified for last weekend’s event in New Orleans,” Taylor Budowich told the Post. “Consistent with the rules of the sweepstakes, a substitute prize will be awarded to the winner.”

Budowich didn’t specify what this substitute prize would be. According to Save America PAC, the value of the original prize is about $3,000.

It’s certainly possible an “administrative error” is responsible, but this also isn’t the first time this has happened. The Post‘s story echoes a 2019 report by Popular Information which found that Trump’s campaign held at least 15 online contests for a chance to win a meal with him — but no one appeared to have actually done so. (Trump’s communications director claimed then that “people win the contests each time,” yet didn’t offer proof.)

Trump shady fundraising tactics don’t end there. Trump and the Republican Party were forced to refund millions of dollars they acquired last year through deceptive email blasts, specifically by having donors unwittingly opt in to recurring payments. The recurring donation box was pre-checked earlier this week, as well, when Save America PAC solicited supporters to fund a new private plane for the former president.

“Do you remember Trump Force One?” the pitch read. “Before becoming the greatest President of all time, I traveled the Country in my plane, known as Trump Force One. I have a very important update on my plane but I need to trust that you won’t share it with anyone: my team is building a BRAND NEW Trump Force One.”

The email blast came shortly after it was reported that Trump’s plane out of New Orleans on Saturday was forced to make an emergency landing.

I guess the GOP is attempting this because they are not in power and can blame the democratic party.  But does it have a shot at passing?  Even modified?

New State-By-State Analysis of GOP Tax Hike Plan: Crushing Tax Increases for Families Across America | Speaker Nancy Pelosi

This week, the nonpartisan Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) released a new state-by-state analysis of the Republican tax proposal to raise taxes on – in GOP Senator Rick Scott’s own words – “over half of Americans.”  And while Democrats cut taxes for working families in the American Rescue Plan signed into law one year ago this week, this new analysis found that the GOP plan “would increase taxes by more than $1,000 on average for the poorest 40 percent of Americans.”   

In every state across the country the hardest working families would shoulder huge tax increases – but more than 40 percent of taxpayers living and working in Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Georgia, New Mexico, South Carolina and Florida would see their tax bills skyrocket.  

8 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I guess the GOP is attempting this because they are not in power and can blame the democratic party.  But does it have a shot at passing?  Even modified?

It's not the GOP, it's Rick Scott.  The turtle is NOT happy Scott is persisting with this:

“Let me tell you what will not be a part of our agenda: We will not have as part of our agenda a bill that raises taxes on half the American people and sunsets Social Security and Medicare after five years. That will not be part of the Republican Senate majority agenda,” McConnell said.

And McConnell made clear he’s planning to be fully in charge in 2023: “If we’re fortunate enough to have the majority next year, I’ll be the majority leader. I’ll decide, in consultation with my members, what to put on the floor.” He didn’t offer specifics of what his agenda would be beyond topics like inflation, border security, crime and energy.

Why is Scott doing this?  Who knows, but I'll take it!

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

maybe this could hurt Scott's reelection prospects?  Lots of folks collecting SS in Florida...

Eh, we'll see, he's not up until 2024.  When he'll also probably be running for president, which is likely what this is about.  Or trying to challenge McConnell, but good luck with that.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

“Do you remember Trump Force One?” the pitch read. “Before becoming the greatest President of all time, I traveled the Country in my plane, known as Trump Force One. I have a very important update on my plane but I need to trust that you won’t share it with anyone: my team is building a BRAND NEW Trump Force One.”

Now you will witness the power of this fully new and operational Boeing 757!!!

One of the big mistakes people always make when fascism is in the process of trying to take over a country is to assume that these people can’t be serious. They can be, and they are:

https://people.com/health/missouri-bill-seeks-to-make-abortions-for-ectopic-pregnancies-illegal/

"Missouri Bill Seeks to Make Abortions for Ectopic Pregnancies Illegal in Restrictive Legislation
A bill proposed by Rep. Brian Seitz seeks to criminalize the production, sale, purchase or use of medical devices or drugs used for abortions"

https://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills221/hlrbillspdf/5798H.01I.pdf

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

"Missouri Bill Seeks to Make Abortions for Ectopic Pregnancies Illegal in Restrictive Legislation
A bill proposed by Rep. Brian Seitz seeks to criminalize the production, sale, purchase or use of medical devices or drugs used for abortions"

Missouri bill legalizes murder of women by not letting them seek medical care for a dangerous and lethal medical condition.   Long ago a cousin of mine from Indianapolis called his state "Misery" and sadly, he was quite right.   :angry2:

It is so weird that people define their identity by their support of a single person. It's cultish, 'stan' behavior on steroids.

This book truly challenges my support for the 1st amendment. The author should be jailed for this violation of the english language.

24 minutes ago, Week said:

It is so weird that people define their identity by their support of a single person. It's cultish, 'stan' behavior on steroids.

This book truly challenges my support for the 1st amendment. The author should be jailed for this violation of the english language.

I looked at the reviews on Amazon and they are quite funny.   Also on the page, above the pix of the book are other listed titles of romances; Given to the Groom, Traded to the Truckers, and Punished by the Principal.    

Amazon "You want bad writing?  We've got it!"      :ack:

33 minutes ago, Week said:

I wonder how much they make off this shit.  Seems like the [kind] of thing you could write a few thousand words a day at, easy.  Imagine becoming the Robert Stanek of Trump fan fiction?  $$$

Archived