US Politics: Putin up with Trump

Ormond

10 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

And seeing 200k brown people in detention centers and prisons is not going to actually make his numbers go up, even if that is the result of removing 42. 

Er...what?  Ending Title 42 is pushed by pro-immigrants and leftists because it immediately expels and denies people the opportunity to seek asylum.  I don't need surveys either to tell me that it'd be a boon to those on the left (and even many regular old liberals) that are pissed at Biden on immigration while not losing anyone he's already lost on the center/right, but they do.

53 minutes ago, DMC said:

Er...what?  Ending Title 42 is pushed by pro-immigrants and leftists because it immediately expels and denies people the opportunity to seek asylum.  I don't need surveys either to tell me that it'd be a boon to those on the left (and even many regular old liberals) that are pissed at Biden on immigration while not losing anyone he's already lost on the center/right, but they do.

It might be a boon to those on the left, but again - the removal of Title 42 is going to mean a whole lot of people will be detained instead of immediately sent away. 

And the optics of that are not going to be pretty. 

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, the obvious solution there is to parole those with a credible asylum claim until a judge can decide their case, which is literally ICE policy.

It's also not what Biden's ICE has been doing either in the Title 42 cases or in a bunch of other cases. It certainly wasn't what Obama did either. 

4 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

It's also not what Biden's ICE has been doing either in the Title 42 cases or in a bunch of other cases.

That's not really true.  Certainly belated, but the Biden administration has worked to curb detention or at least promised to address this specific problem:

A White House spokesman said Biden’s budget reduces the number of ICE detention beds and shifts some of their use to processing immigrants for parole and other alternatives.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a recent congressional hearing that he’s “concerned about the overuse of detention” and pledged to continue to review problematic facilities.

Anyway, this is all besides the point.  Ending Title 42 is not going to hurt Biden politically.  Rightwing media has already maxed out immigration outrage.

Today is THE DAY.

We told our team to do A MASSIVE DIVE into the TRUMP DONOR FILES for YOUR state to find 45 DEDICATED TOP TRUMP PATRIOTS for a TRUMP DAY 10X-MATCH.

AND YOU WERE ONE OF THE FEW TRUMP PATRIOTS WHO QUALIFIED.

CLAIM TRUMP 10X-MATCH >>

Not only did our team select you for a TRUMP DAY 10X-MATCH, but when you step up and cash in your 10X-MATCH, you also will get A TRUMP DAY $10 DISCOUNT on our Trump Social Media Membership Pledge Card.
**This offer is ONLY MEANT FOR YOU, Ck. Do NOT forward to anyone else.

If you DO NOT STEP UP and activate your TRUMP DAY 10X-MATCH AND claim your $10 off offer, our team will REMOVE YOU from the exclusive TRUMP DAY list FOREVER.

Follow this link to claim your TRUMP DAY 10X-MATCH AND get your PERSONALIZED Trump Social Media Member Pledge Card for ONLY $45 $35. >>

Your TRUMP DAY 10X-MATCH AND TRUMP DAY DISCOUNT on your PERSONALIZED Trump Card is ONLY available for 20 more minutes. You don’t want to be remembered as the TRUMP PATRIOT who missed out, do you?

Claim your TRUMP DAY 10X-MATCH AND YOUR TRUMP DAY DISCOUNT.

Thank you,

NRSC HQ

Latest email, delivered to my inbox at 8:35 am Central Time. Obviously if they can't find 45 people in Nebraska who have really donated to Trump they are completely incompetent. So that of course is a baldfaced lie. 

18 hours ago, DMC said:

That's not really true.  Certainly belated, but the Biden administration has worked to curb detention or at least promised to address this specific problem:

Anyway, this is all besides the point.  Ending Title 42 is not going to hurt Biden politically.  Rightwing media has already maxed out immigration outrage.

What I find very frustrating about the fake “we don’t know how to stop these ICE detentions” lines is that Castro pointed out in the primary you just change one statute on border crossing to a misdemeanor offense and there you are. We know how to stop it, but nobody is trying to do the thing that would actually work because they don’t want to stop doing it, they just don’t want the optics of doing it as much as the last guy.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Latest email, delivered to my inbox at 8:35 am Central Time. Obviously if they can't find 45 people in Nebraska who have really donated to Trump they are completely incompetent. So that of course is a baldfaced lie. 

They like the “ALL CAPS” and UNDERLINED ALL CAPS!!!… don’t they?

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

What I find very frustrating about the fake “we don’t know how to stop these ICE detentions” lines is that Castro pointed out in the primary you just change one statute on border crossing to a misdemeanor offense and there you are. We know how to stop it, but nobody is trying to do the thing that would actually work because they don’t want to stop doing it, they just don’t want the optics of doing it as much as the last guy.

Well, yeah, that's just part and parcel of the fact common sense immigration reform has been obvious since at least 2007, when the GOP/rightwing blew it up and has blocked it ever since.  Isn't really fair to put a lack of legislation on Biden.  Moreover, it should be noted that rightwing judges have blocked a lot of Biden's attempts to do what he can unilaterally, especially in Texas

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I eagerly await the day you post up a donor email whose only content is the word "Trump" repeated over and over again in various font styles, sizes, and colors.

Looks like my states lone congressman Don Young has died (barring a misreport or some such).  I regarded him as pretty much a nonentity, a puppet under the control of oil/gas interests (mandatory for Alaska.) Might make for an interesting election... if the D's can somehow put forth a credible candidate (when pigs fly) and competently manage a campaign (yeah, right) they might be able to claim this seat.

In the meantime, though, the current governor is a far-right toady who will no doubt seek to install another far-right toady as Alaska's congress-critter...

Alaska U.S. Rep. Don Young has died, according to former aides (adn.com)

Alaska U.S. Rep. Don Young has died, former aides said on Friday. Details were not immediately available.

13 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Looks like my states lone congressman Don Young has died (barring a misreport or some such).

He was the dean of the House, sixth longest tenured ever - 49 years.  

14 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

In the meantime, though, the current governor is a far-right toady who will no doubt seek to install another far-right toady as Alaska's congress-critter...

House vacancies are replaced only by elections.  I don't know Alaska's rules, maybe there will be a special election before the actual election in November, but seems pretty pointless at this point.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

He was the dean of the House, sixth longest tenured ever - 49 years.  

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't support term limits, but nobody should be in Congress for that long. 

If we think of that in terms of his states existence (49 of 63 years) that'd be like someone from Massachusetts serving for 190 years.

***Sadly shaking my head, maybe crying a little***Ty just cheerleading the gerontocracy as usual.

10 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Just admit you want the median age of Congress to be 198.

FFS. More like beginning in their early to mid 30's and retiring in their 60's and anything in between.  

You clearly do not remembered a lot of what of I've written here on this subject. I mean how many fucking times have I bashed septuagenarians on this platform for still fighting to move up the ladder...

Remember the lies and propaganda this creep was helping spread about voter fraud?

I say he deserves some Khal Drogo justice, maybe some molten lead soup or tongue removal to tame that fibbing mouth.

Mark Meadows' voter registration under investigation by state officials in North Carolina

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/18/politics/mark-meadows-trump-aide-voter-north-carolina/index.html

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/politics/ohio-politics/bad-idea-ohio-gov-mike-dewine-condemns-gops-call-for-supreme-court-justice-removal?_amp=true
Ohio’s gop looks to be about to remove the Ohio chief Supreme Court justice.

I hope if they do, it at least doesn’t become a trend for other republican states to follow.

Archived