US Politics: Putin up with Trump

Ormond

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ohio’s gop looks to be about to remove the Ohio chief Supreme Court justice.

They actually have more than enough votes - 25 out of 33 - in the Senate to convict.  However, the news here appears to be that Bill Seitz - House Majority Leader and thus #2 House Republican - is either for impeachment or at least open to it.  That is significant.  But, it still doesn't sound like the Speaker Bob Cupp - who served with Maureen O'Connor (the justice they're trying to impeach) on the Ohio Supreme Court - is on board.  So, while this is more serious than, say, Ohio rightwingers' attempts to impeach Mike DeWine - the Republican governor - it still doesn't appear likely to go very far.

It also doesn't make any sense.  If you're impeaching O'Connor - a Republican btw - over rejecting the maps, then why aren't you impeaching the 3 Democrats that voted with her?

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

FFS. More like beginning in their early to mid 30's and retiring in their 60's and anything in between.  

You clearly do not remembered a lot of what of I've written here on this subject. I mean how many fucking times have I bashed septuagenarians on this platform for still fighting to move up the ladder...

Sorry if it wasn't clear but that was a joke.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

They actually have more than enough votes - 25 out of 33 - in the Senate to convict.  However, the news here appears to be that Bill Seitz - House Majority Leader and thus #2 House Republican - is either for impeachment or at least open to it.  That is significant.  But, it still doesn't sound like the Speaker Bob Cupp - who served with Maureen O'Connor (the justice they're trying to impeach) on the Ohio Supreme Court - is on board.  So, while this is more serious than, say, Ohio rightwingers' attempts to impeach Mike DeWine - the Republican governor - it still doesn't appear likely to go very far.

It also doesn't make any sense.  If you're impeaching O'Connor - a Republican btw - over rejecting the maps, then why aren't you impeaching the 3 Democrats that voted with her?

Bob Cupp is an alumnus of my Alma Mater (actually a fraternity brother, albeit a number of years ahead of me) and, despite his Republican credentials, is reported as a level headed individual.  Hope he holds his ground. I'd never actually vote for him, of course, but hopefully he does the right thing here.

Why impeach the republican?

Because loyalty to the party is the most important thing, far more important than getting anything done. You must punish severely anyone who goes against those goals. They are a worse enemy than the enemy, for they are a traitor. 

Star Trek makes Stacey Abrams president of United Earth – and stokes conservative anger
National Review says candidate for governor in Georgia and self-confessed superfan does not deserve fictional title

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/19/stacey-abrams-president-earth-star-trek-georgia-governor

The Review complained that Star Trek would never make Trump president of Earth, not even “in the way that the evil genetic superman Khan Noonien Singh once despotically ruled one-quarter of earth’s population”.

It added: “In classic Trek fashion, Abrams [was] shown as the logical and inevitable result of the kind of technocratic progressivism that the show has long advanced, a fruition of our highest ideals. Her behavior in the political sphere does not seem to bear this out.”

Elie Mystal, a writer for the Nation, responded: “Look at how conservative white people react to a FICTIONAL black woman president.”

7 hours ago, DMC said:

That doesn't make logical sense, but it makes psychological sense since people are always much more angry at "traitors" from their side than they are against people who they expect to be against them. 

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

That doesn't make logical sense, but it makes psychological sense since people are always much more angry at "traitors" from their side than they are against people who they expect to be against them.

Yeah, I was referring to the internal logic of their public rationale.  I'm well aware of why they're actually targeting O'Connor.

Archived