Severance (Apple)

akh

Just finished the first episodes and damn - I gotta say this has to be the best premier I've seen in a while. The first episode was especially great: extremely well shot, directed and written. The cast is great. Really hope this doesn't fall off. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m surprised there isn’t more discussion of this show.  I binged all available episodes this weekend.  It’s excellent.  Philosophical complex and well acted.  I’m terribly curious to see the season finale on Friday.

Does no one else watch this?

The build-up for the finale was great in the last episode. I'm glad it got renewed for a second season. Can't imagine they'll tie everything together with the season 1 finale.

I watched the first episode, in fact I got an apple subscription just for that very purpose. I can’t say I was blown away by it or anything. I might continue, just to get some value out of my sub and maybe it will grow on me.

Lots of stuff in there to like, but maybe there wasn’t enough of a hook?

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I watched the first episode, in fact I got an apple subscription just for that very purpose. I can’t say I was blown away by it or anything. I might continue, just to get some value out of my sub and maybe it will grow on me.

Lots of stuff in there to like, but maybe there wasn’t enough of a hook?

Keep going.  It’s a slow burn but the philosophical implications are terribly interesting.  Remember the innies have no idea what their outie lives are like.  There entire world is the office with no external point of reference and the company uses that…

Keep going…

Spoiler

I’m dying to see what the hell is up with the supervisors.  Are they “innies” who have had their “outies” fully suppressed and what the hell is the deal with Mark’s wife being there… why isn’t she dead?

6 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Probably because its an apple exclusive. 

Isn’t “Ted Lasso” an Apple exclusive?  It is me or is “Severance” asking if slavery is okay if the person entering into it… does so voluntarily?  Isn’t that what the inside severed personalities are?

I’m still dying to know more about Melchick and the woman from “Wellness”.

So I watched the second episode and I do feel like I'm getting into it a lot more. That first episode put me off a bit because it seemed quite self consciously to be going quirky, and it just felt a little derivative of other things that popped into my head, specifically the 7th and a half floor from Being John Malkovich.

Maybe the whole mystery element of the show hasn't quite grabbed me yet, I am generally very cautious of shows that seem to hang on a reveal, having been so disappointed in the past, but there is enough to keep me interested.

The elements I do like however are almost the commentary of how we all view our work and home lives. That is the interesting bit and I think the show is at its best when it's serving up a surrealist version of what its like to work in those big companies.

Thats why scenes like the 'party' at work were something I really connected with. There is a sense when you join a new company and you see these 'lifers' there that they appear to be creating this self reinforcing bubble, all in-jokes, work language, bad banter and back and forth. I've been there where you just watch it from the outside, seeing these guys who've been somewhere for years, making these cringe worthy jokes to each other, but also treating the company as if it's a god, proving their worth and knowledge to the almighty ethos of the business that hires them.

Thats how the innies feel to me. Add in the supposedly sheer pointlessness of their work, that nobody knows why they are doing what they are doing, but imagine it's important. That stuff is really on point. I want more of that.

ARGH. There are only 9 episodes!? 

Apple TV+ has a really crappy interface and its very hard to see how many episodes are in each season. So I finished episode 9 last night and literally couldn't wait to see the 10th and final episode (because 10 is a good number of episodes in a season.. who does 9!?)

But no, that was it. 

They left us at that point.

Spoiler

I mean I loved that last episode, but I really feel the show could have been wrapped up in one more outing. Is there going to be enough material for an entirely new season? Will they just spoil it all by dragging it all out again. It better not be a case of 'oh this season they get thrown back into severance and forget everything and have to start all over again'

One other thought on the show, is that something it does very well, is actually create a scenario that allows us to actually think a lot more deeply at what it means to exist and be conscious. There is a moment in the show where a character is sent for retirement, which is essentially death. Even though they aren't dying, that conscious form will be discarded from existence.

It raises questions as to what death even is.. and my head started spinning when it was happening, thinking about the connotations. 

Then I started thinking about how the Matrix used to seem incredibly deep when it came out, but now the questions it raised seem so tired in comparison to something like Severance.

10 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

It must have been the most gripping season finale I have watched in quite a while, but I'm furious they left it like that. What if they didn't get a second season?

It was brilliantly balanced, all 4 characters having their own moments of tension and building to an incredibly tense finale. Again I didn't know this was the finale so I feel a little cheated, I'm quite used to the GoT season format of the second from last episode being the exciting one and the last one being the climb down / set up next season.. so I was confused there was no more to watch.

Binged this last week w/ my wife due to this thread.  Absolutely loved it.  The cast was top notch, writing superb, ideas unique, music highlighted the tension, acting was great, and the intro is just insane.  Can't wait for season 2!

Archived