What Would You Do If Your Lord Husband Cheated You?

Corvo the Crow

Here's a hypothetical scenario that is purely a fiction of my imagination and has nothing to do with characters and events in the book what so ever. Any similarities between characters and events are purely coincidental.

You are alady-in-wait for the queen and although belonging to a lesser branch, you are a highborn maid from an ancient and powerful noble house, which is only one step below the king. You are married off to your husband, who is, besides being the heir of the main branch of your house, also the best friend and hand of the king. The king, to whom you may or may not have had some feelings, had his eye on you as well and he made it undeniably obvious during your wedding. You learn that your husband,who claims to love you deeply, cheats on you by sleeping with whores and courtesans and moonmaid for all you know and not only does he cheat on you, but he does so in such a cowardly way,  that he's had a secret passage built from the king's castle to the whorehouses. 

What would you do? Would you, cheat on him with the king who is his best friend and also superior and also is interested in you?

There are concerns of far more importance in your hypothetical scene.  Concerns which have importance beyond the personal feelings of the lead character in your play.  Like what would be the consequences for a lot of people if the lead character were to surrender to feelings. 

2 hours ago, Son of Man said:

There are concerns of far more importance in your hypothetical scene.  Concerns which have importance beyond the personal feelings of the lead character in your play.  Like what would be the consequences for a lot of people if the lead character were to surrender to feelings. 

I'd assume she'll give birth to some twins, one male and one female, who really love each other, the female one would marry the next king but her love for her brother would eventually cause war.

11 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Here's a hypothetical scenario that is purely a fiction of my imagination and has nothing to do with characters and events in the book what so ever. Any similarities between characters and events are purely coincidental.

You are alady-in-wait for the queen and although belonging to a lesser branch, you are a highborn maid from an ancient and powerful noble house, which is only one step below the king. You are married off to your husband, who is, besides being the heir of the main branch of your house, also the best friend and hand of the king. The king, to whom you may or may not have had some feelings, had his eye on you as well and he made it undeniably obvious during your wedding. You learn that your husband,who claims to love you deeply, cheats on you by sleeping with whores and courtesans and moonmaid for all you know and not only does he cheat on you, but he does so in such a cowardly way,  that he's had a secret passage built from the king's castle to the whorehouses. 

What would you do? Would you, cheat on him with the king who is his best friend and also superior and also is interested in you?

Do have any children? Unless you are intention is to upgrade , find a hobby . The king's whore is still a whore . Sorry to say .

Forgive me for not playing the "hypothetical" game; it's getting cumbersome, and I really don't see the point.

As far as we know, the secret passages in the Red Keep were all built by Maegor some two hundred years before AGOT. There's no reason to think that anyone except Varys has any detailed knowledge of them, much less had new ones built. They run to lots of different places, not just to a whorehouse.  

If a King's Hand wants someone in his bed, he doubtless has other ways to arrange it. But there's no reason to think that Tywin had extramarital sex except that one time with Shae.  And if he ever did it while his wife was alive, there's no reason to think that she knew.  And if she did know, there's no reason to think that she would respond by having revenge sex with a madman.

All that being said, it's entirely possible that one or more of Tywin's children were actually fathered by the Mad King. From other forum posts, I gather that he and Joanna Lannister were in the right places at the right times, based on the ages of her children.  And Aerys was the king; if he wanted her badly enough, he could have arranged it, and persuaded her to keep it secret.  Tyrion is the most likely suspect, given his odd physical oddities and lifelong fascination with dragons.

4 hours ago, Aebram said:

Tyrion is the most likely suspect, given his odd physical oddities and lifelong fascination with dragons.

Cersei 

Even if Tyrion were still hiding in the castle, he won't be in the Tower of the Hand. We've reduced it to a shell."

"Would that we could do the same to the rest of this foul castle," said Cersei. "After the war I mean to build a new palace beyond the river." She had dreamed of it the night before last, a magnificent white castle surrounded by woods and gardens, long leagues from the stinks and noise of King's Landing. "This city is a cesspit. For half a groat I would move the court to Lannisport and rule the realm from Casterly Rock."

Aerys 

In 265 AC, Offended by "the stink of King's Landing," he spoke of building a "white city" entirely of marble on the south bank of Blackrush

I'd do nothing.

In this "hypothetical" situation my Lord Husband has complete and total power over me and is able to sentence me to obscene torture and a horrific death. My only shield for my infidelity would be the personal intervention of the King, which is not guaranteed for the rest of my life and would probably just generate an even more torturous end for me.

Admittedly, this is assuming my infidelity gets discovered, but any long running affair between such public figures will almost inevitable be.

Archived