Football, a pussy gives me Wood.

BigFatCoward

18 minutes ago, mormont said:

FIFA have gone all IOC and ordered Russia to play as 'Football Union of Russia'. Poland are, rightly, not having it and neither should any of the rest of us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60548685

Perhaps they consulted Abramovich on cynical hollow gestures to deflect accountability.

I didn’t want to say it before the match because it would sound narrowly partisan but I think Chelsea and any other vehicles for Russian oligarch sports washing and money laundering should be expelled from all competitions, including PL and CL.  There should be a full boycott on Russia until the Putin regime is gone and they are ready to re-enter the international community.  No trade, no travel, an access to international finance or communications — just sever the internet cables at the borders.  We’ve appeased long enough the slippery slope of state-sponsored hacking, election interference, regime manipulation among neighbors, and acts of war.  Kim Jong Putin should be treated as such.

(And, yes, I realize that America has an ugly past of manipulating foreign regimes, but that doesn’t mean we should accept it from any of the super powers any longer)

1 hour ago, mormont said:

FIFA have gone all IOC and ordered Russia to play as 'Football Union of Russia'.

I imagine Infantino and his goons have all used the same hotel rooms as Trump and Johnson and everybody else ensnared in Putin's honey traps.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

FIFA have gone all IOC and ordered Russia to play as 'Football Union of Russia'. Poland are, rightly, not having it and neither should any of the rest of us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60548685

Oh come on, mormont. There's a world of difference here. "Football Union of Russia" is totally different from *checks notes* Russian national team, as controlled by Russian Football Union.

I don't see how anyone would connect the Football Union of Russia and the Russian Football Union without the national anthem and flag. They're definitely going to feel chastened. Just like at the Olympics. Remember a two weeks ago, when there was no talk of Russian athletes in the Winter Games?

Feckless international football association.

The Olympics at least has a history of having athletes not compete for a specific country. When did the World Cup or any other tournament of NATIONS include a team not representing a nation? smh

Isn't this like the Yugoslavia situation from Euro 92? And here at least Russia is not even qualified yet. But hey, Yugoslavia wasn't full of filthy rich oligarchs that financed sports organizations globally. So there's that.

Ban them, give Poland the automatic win, and they go on to play Sweden or the Czech Republic.

6 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

Oh come on, mormont. There's a world of difference here. "Football Union of Russia" is totally different from *checks notes* Russian national team, as controlled by Russian Football Union.

I don't see how anyone would connect the Football Union of Russia and the Russian Football Union without the national anthem and flag. They're definitely going to feel chastened. Just like at the Olympics. Remember a two weeks ago, when there was no talk of Russian athletes in the Winter Games?

Feckless international football association.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

But hey, Yugoslavia wasn't full of filthy rich oligarchs that financed sports organizations globally. So there's that.

Yugoslav oligarchs were still in the making back then. But yeah, they never rose to the level of Russian oligarchs later anyways, not closely enough resources to seize during the privatisation like in the USSR.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Isn't this like the Yugoslavia situation from Euro 92? And here at least Russia is not even qualified yet. But hey, Yugoslavia wasn't full of filthy rich oligarchs that financed sports organizations globally. So there's that.

As @The Sunland Lord said, our oligarchs were still in the making and their wealth was still only in connections and influence, not as much in money. Also, the amounts of money we're talking about when talking about Yugoslav oligarchs are laughable when compared to their Russian counterparts.

Also, there is a huge difference between these situations, both from the sports perspective - Yugoslavia that qualified for Euros included Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Macedonia while the one that would've hypothetically played didn't; and political/legal perspective - Yugoslavia was under UN sanctions and there was a legal framework for international sports' federations to lean on when suspending them.

As much as I am against the actions of Russian government and military, there's no denying that FIFA/IOC/FIBA/etc. are the ones left to figure out the appropriate response by themselves and they have to decide it by balancing between public opinion and financial interests. If Poland refuses to play against Russian team (whatever it may be called), FIFA really has no alternative to declaring Russia wins 3-0 by default. Anything else and they open themselves to lawsuits which may have huge consequences.

I think all these actions taken on Russia by FIFA and UEFA are a bit hypocritical to be honest. Why no actions against Saudi Arabia for what they're doing in Yemen, or against Israel every time they mass murder people in Gaza?

I mean, Qatar is hosting the next world cup FFS.

Well, the Gazprom deal was dead. It was a foregone conclusion UEFA would cancel it, today. UEFA kicking out Spartak and FIFA afterall hitting Russia with a ban hammer. The pressure got too  high I guess. I would have expected them to wait and see, if those talks would unexpectedly lead somewhere and swing the ban hammer after, its inevitable failure.

I think all the teams refusing to play Russia put too much pressure on FIFA for them to do anything else. I don't think we were too far away from basically all the Western European teams at least not being willing to play them which would have made the World Cup a potential laughing stock. FIFA can't risk their cash cow.

16 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think all the teams refusing to play Russia put too much pressure on FIFA for them to do anything else. I don't think we were too far away from basically all the Western European teams at least not being willing to play them which would have made the World Cup a potential laughing stock. FIFA can't risk their cash cow.

This.  FIFA didn’t grow a spine or a conscience, they just chose the path that minimizes their financial loss.  Well done to Poland for forcing the issue early.

feck.

Our backup/cup goalie slips and we concede in the dying second of the first half. :crying:

1:1. Just no extra time please. Settle it in 90 minutes one way or another. Semi-Final would be nice, but I'd much rather win promotion, than lose in the semi-final or final to fucking Redbull Leipzig.

Now Medic (cb) slips, and it's 1-2. :bang:

Archived