Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

I’ve noticed that fans are making the jump from the “TWOW is taking so long because George is writing both TWOW and ADOS at the same time” train to the “the books are finished, George is just waiting to release them until after he dies so that he doesn’t have to deal with any potential backlash” train. All these years, and we’re still in the denial phase.

As long as GRRM draws breath, I will continue to hope that TWOW will one day be released, but after his blog post from the other day about yet another project he’s taken on, I’ve come around on the idea that his heart just isn’t in it anymore. I’m sure that pressure and perfectionism also play a role, but it’s clear that he still has a ton of energy in him and likes to keep busy, otherwise he wouldn’t be so enthusiastic about all these other side-projects. (I also suspect that the grimness of TWOW probably also makes it less fun to work on). Weirdly enough, accepting this actually makes me feel a bit better, although maybe that’s because I still haven’t completely lost hope.

That said, if GRRM is no longer up for TWOW, I hope he’ll turn his focus to DnE and FnB instead, which he does seem to still find satisfying. I love both series and would much rather read new additions than go without any new content.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

On 2/28/2022 at 10:35 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

As long as GRRM draws breath, I will continue to hope that TWOW will one day be released, but after his blog post from the other day about yet another project he’s taken on, I’ve come around on the idea that his heart just isn’t in it anymore.

I've said this before, I think it's less about his heart not being in it anymore but more about him coming up with an ending that might have sounded cool in theory but is difficult to execute in a way that makes sense. So he is struggling with that.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

whether it's writing process George is struggling with or lack of interest, I think WoW is either published / in publication process by the time of "Tourney in Harrenhall " theater or it will not ever be published at all. 

On 2/22/2022 at 12:09 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

For all the talk about him bending before breaking, which is for some reason taken as canon by a lot of readers, Stannis is the character who's bended the most. He has been bent more than a contortionist that can perform the "Myreneese Knot".

In Gaelic staon means "bent posture"  and staonadh means "the act of bending, giving up" and staonaim means "I bend, deflect, yield, give up" and stangaim means "I droop, bend, sag"

stan means "tin, tin vessel, tub, vat" (Davos is his advisor and Davos comes from dabhach which means "vessel" also, and his sigil is a totally black ship and he smuggles things under the cover of darkness) and stangam means "to cover over" --a hollow metallic vessel that covers over the Earth.

Stannis is a metaphor for the Night King/Stranger who wears a shadow crown/crown of flames which is the corona of the eclipse of the Long Night, and with a weirwood witch Mel he gives birth to cold Shadow Sword assassins /white walkers. 

The Black Ship smuggles White Walkers under the cover of darkness.

stan means "rock" in Old English, and he was Lord of Dragonstone, and Dragonstone is a huge black dragon that is another metaphor for the second moon / Stranger.

and the gaelic "stan" words are right next to stangaire ~ The Stranger, and stangaire means "to loiter, to wander" and the Stranger is the wandering moon

and stannadh means "beating, hammering" (and he is a Baratheon) and in Harper's Latin Dictionary stannis is in the next column to "stag"

barathrum means "abyss" in Latin and in Gaelic brath means "crown placed upon victors"  and brath / breath  means "judgment" and "judgment day"  barath means "lying in wait" and

brat means "cloak, mantle, veil" (one of the names of The Stranger is the Hooded Man)

beartha means "shaved, cropped, shorn"

Edited by By Odin's Beard

On 2/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Ghost Grass is the eastern equivalent of the Weirwood.

The black-barked Shade of the Evening trees are the Essos weirwoods (aka the Black Goat, and the House of the Undying was a weirwood cave). 

Ghost Grass is a metaphor for the White Walkers, they live under the Shadow, and ghost = "Shadow" and grass = "Blade/sword" and White Walkers are Shadow Swords, and will one day they will cover the Earth (during the Long Night when the Shadow covers the Earth)

43 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

In Gaelic staon means "bent posture"  and staonadh means "the act of bending, giving up" and staonaim means "I bend, deflect, yield, give up" and stangaim means "I droop, bend, sag"

stan means "tin, tin vessel, tub, vat" (Davos is his advisor and Davos comes from dabhach which means "vessel" also, and his sigil is a totally black ship and he smuggles things under the cover of darkness) and stangam means "to cover over" --a hollow metallic vessel that covers over the Earth.

Stannis is a metaphor for the Night King/Stranger who wears a shadow crown/crown of flames which is the corona of the eclipse of the Long Night, and with a weirwood witch Mel he gives birth to cold Shadow Sword assassins /white walkers. 

The Black Ship smuggles White Walkers under the cover of darkness.

stan means "rock" in Old English, and he was Lord of Dragonstone, and Dragonstone is a huge black dragon that is another metaphor for the second moon / Stranger.

and the gaelic "stan" words are right next to stangaire ~ The Stranger, and stangaire means "to loiter, to wander" and the Stranger is the wandering moon

and stannadh means "beating, hammering" (and he is a Baratheon) and in Harper's Latin Dictionary stannis is in the next column to "stag"

barathrum means "abyss" in Latin and in Gaelic brath means "crown placed upon victors"  and brath / breath  means "judgment" and "judgment day"  barath means "lying in wait" and

brat means "cloak, mantle, veil" (one of the names of The Stranger is the Hooded Man)

beartha means "shaved, cropped, shorn"

Are you a linguist or is this more of a passion for you? 

When Coldhands is taking Bran and company to the cave, they ride on an elk, and Meera thinks Coldhands is deliberately delaying by taking them in circles.  In Old English elcian means "to delay, to put off" and elciend means "to procrastinate"

45 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I am an amateur, I do hardwood floors for a living.  But in digging into these dictionaries I have learned that many authors get their names and plots from the same group of dictionaries, Robert Jordan, Lovecraft, GRRM, Tad Williams, George Lucas, Clark Ashton Smith, Gene Wolfe, J.K. Rowling, and probably many others.  

Here's one instance, you know that cartoon Fievel's Journey, in gaelic fabhal ("faval") means "fable, journey" and fifel means "giant" in Anglo-Saxon, and Fievel's story is a fable about a little mouse that goes on a journey.

Here's some Star Wars trivia, I just learned that in Gaelic cuaigean means "small, squat, sturdy man" and I think that is where Qui-Gon Jinn came from, cuaigean gion.  It also means "a term of endearment for a little boy" Also cuig  means "counsel, advice, secret, mystery" and gion means "sword"

And in gaelic anachain means "danger, peril, hazard, crisis" and ainichim  means "cleanse, purify, restore to health" and Anakin Skywalker was supposed to restore balance but became Darth Vader.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I forgot to mention when I said that the Stranger is "the Hooded man" which causes the Long Night, that the sigil of the Banefort is a totally black "Hooded Man" causing an eclipse.

The word bane means "murderer, slayer, the Devil" and "one that destroys life" and "causing ruin"

and fort means "strong, stronghold, fortress"

So Banefort = totally black "the fortress of death" that eclipses the sun, and destroys life, causing ruin.

19 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

I forgot to mention when I said that the Stranger is "the Hooded man" which causes the Long Night, that the sigil of the Banefort is a totally black "Hooded Man" causing an eclipse.

The word bane means "murderer, slayer, the Devil" and "one that destroys life" and "causing ruin"

and fort means "strong, stronghold, fortress"

So Banefort = totally black "the fortress of death" that eclipses the sun, and destroys life, causing ruin.

Well, I can be quite melancholy ^_^

On 3/1/2022 at 5:47 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Here’s something wild that I just learned: D+D=T (AKA Tyrion-is-a-time-traveling-fetus) first graced the internet over *seven years ago*

Who are D and D supposed to be? And how do Tywin and Joanna play into this?

I just learned that in Gaelic firean means "dwarf" and "righteous man" and fireann means "chain"

and tearuinim (Tyrion) means "I save, deliver, secure"

And Tyrion the dwarf saved King's Landing with a chain (fireann) and a fiery explosion.

In Celtic myth the Sidhe faeries produced "fairy blasts" / Sidhe Gaoithe, and Tyrion is a stand-in for the Sidhe/CoTF, and he saves King's Landing with a fairy blast that defeated an invasion.  Stannis is a stand-in for the Night King--he flies "the Stranger's flag" and he is defeated by a fairy blast/exploding ship.

The whole idea of there even being a "chain" involved could be to mistranslation of fire/fireann/dwarf.

ETA: and leus means "link" and "blaze of flame, ray of light"

and roid means "gale, blast" and roidean means "wildfire" and roididh means "rotten" and the Wildfire was put in a rotten ship. 

and roig means "cave"  and the Wildfire was found underground in fruit jars, so the fairy blast of wildfire comes from a cave.

EETA: teine-sithe ("Sidhe fire") means "wild-fire"  and it is right above "meteor"

EEETA: drol means "bay, trick, stratagem" and drola means "chain, chain-link" and droll means "tail of an animal" and  Tyrion's stratagem was a chain across Blackwater Bay, and he was supposedly born with a vestigial tail.  (and amar means "channel" and "chain")

and sion means "blast" and "chain"

I just learned that "black fire / black flame" is a gaelic phrase that just means a very hot fire, it doesn't have to do with the color of the flame at all.

duibh-lasar  "black flame, an intense blaze" or duib-lasrach "black-flamed"

[And while I am on the subject, lasar, radar, and scuba are all old words in Gaelic that got requisitioned for modern usage.  lasar means "flash of light" and radharch means "to see" and scuiba means "to dive" , also norradh means "to sleep" and I think that is where NORAD got its name]

----

More on Davos being a metaphor for the Black Moon, recall that his sigil is a black ship, he smuggles the White Walkers, and dabhach means "vessel, vat"

duibh-re (davre) means "dark moon" and "a moonless night"

dubhar (davar) means "eclipse" and "shade, darkness"

dubharachd means "eclipse of the sun"

duibbheacht means "blackness, darkness"

duibh-reidheach means "pitch dark"

And Davos smuggles things under the cover of complete darkness.

dubhas (davas) means "sorrow"

duib-sliabh means "black mountain"  And in the Whisperer in Darkness the Black Planet Yuggoth is symbolized by the presence of Dark Mountain.  The alien fungus crabs are from Yuggoth, and Yuggoth is a giant floating black mountain hollow vessel made of greasy black stone.  Davos is a metaphor for the Black planet and he is associated with crabs.

From, the Tree on the Hill, the Black Planet Yuggoth is also called the Black Goat, and caused an endless night on Earth thousands of years ago.  And Davos is going to Skaggos --the home of the Black Goat, to find Rickon and Shaggydog (skegg means "shaggy" and skygge means "shadow" in Old Norse)

duib-lacht means "rotten produce" and Mel talks to Davos about rotten onions

---

Miscellaneous

duibh-eaganta  (black aegon / black abyss) means "deep, abysmal, secretive, profound" and Aegon rode a black dragon and wore black armor

duibh-geante  "dark born" means "the Danes"

duibh-leum "leap in the dark" (Lemore / Ashara)

duibh-ealadain "black magic"

dubh-bhreach means "black fish"

9 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I find it sweet that both Jon and Theon share the dream of being a legitimate member of Stark family and Ned Stark's son. Jon dreams of saving Ned to earn Stark name and sword , while Theon dreams of marrying Ned's daughter and becoming his good-son. 

I think Jon and Theon are supposed to be parallel constructions of the same person.  In Anglo-Saxon teon means "to bring up, educate"  In Old Norse gryja (Greyjoy) means "dawn" and daunn means "bad smell" i.e. "reek" (and Theon's sister is Asha, who is a "Shy Maid").  So I think there is definitely something about Dawn being raised at Winterfell, the sun rising in the North. 

And there is a strong parallel between Theon becoming Reek and Smeagol becoming Gollum, and recall that it was Gollum that actually destroyed the Ring.

gal / gol /gail means "steam, smoke" and reyka means "reek, smoke, steam"  (and I just realized that might be a Galladon of Morn reference, gaileadan means "boiler, kettle",  galla + Dawn, of Morn)

Also rek means "jetsum" and the Greyjoy's all have pirate and boat names. 

Theon dies and comes back as an zombie/ghost version of himself, who doesn't remember his identity.  Jon dies and will come back as a ghost / White Walker Jon / Jack Frost who doesn't remember his identity.

And Anglo-Saxon teona means "injury, hurt, wrong, mischief, anger, grief, malice" and in Latin theon means "sarcastic character"

In Gaelic the word for "fisherman" is iaschaire and the word for "daughter" is gean

So Ned + "the Fisherman's Daughter" = Ned, Ashara, and Jon.

In Gaelic the word daingean (Dayne Jon) means "stronghold" and "marriage" and the Wolf's Den is the Stronghold built by Jon Stark.

Well I just learned that dynja in Old Norse means, "a lady's bower, in old Icelandic dwellings. . .a detached apartment [English: dungeon] the bower and the dungeon were secluded chambers in the inner part of the house or castle"

And Davos says that the Wolf's Den is now a dungeon, but was once a Lordling's chamber.  (and Dene means "Dane" and denn means "den" --so it makes sense to have a Dayne at the Den)

The Wolf's Den is a gaol, in Gaelic gaol means "love" and "family" and gaolach (sounds like "gilly") means "sweetheart, beloved person" and gaoil means "family" and gaoilin means "sweetheart"

More Reek stuff.

In gaelic riach means "cut the surface, to flay" --Theon is flayed

riachan means "grey" --Theon turns grey

riochd means "likeness, form, appearance" and "ghost, spirit" and "person of wan appearance"  --Theon becomes a ghost, the Ghost of Winterfell.  (con-riochd means "werewolf")

riochdail means "skeleton, poor-looking person"

riochdachadh / riochdair means "impersonating" and "substitution"

riochos means "king, rule"  (Greyking means "dawn" and gryja means "dawn" and Reek is grey and a Greyjoy)