Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

On 4/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think people are underrating the likelihood that Jon comes back as a very cold and unlikable character. Maybe he’ll be “badass” in the sense that he’ll inherit some of Ghost’s wolfishness, but he was just mutinied by his own men, and has failed to save his “sister” from Ramsay. I suspect that he’ll be very harsh and bitter. This would also make sense for if he does kill Dany—by making Jon less human, it subverts the very icky idea that men need to kill their women to save them from themselves. (Of course, I’m not sure how a love story would even work between them in this scenario. Maybe that’s another one of the books’ hurdles).

It'll probably be one-sided or enshrouded in mystery.

Since Dany is almost certainly going to be POV until the very end (and probably die in her own chapter) and Jon won't have any more POVs (particularly not after he is restored to his own body), I think the big part of her arc in "A Dream of Spring" is falling in love and trying to find out if Jon really loves her as much as he says he does (or as much as she hopes he does).

Which, given the likelihood of Jon murdering her, is tragic.

13 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

It'll probably be one-sided or enshrouded in mystery.

Since Dany is almost certainly going to be POV until the very end (and probably die in her own chapter) and Jon won't have any more POVs (particularly not after he is restored to his own body), I think the big part of her arc in "A Dream of Spring" is falling in love and trying to find out if Jon really loves her as much as he says he does (or as much as she hopes he does).

Which, given the likelihood of Jon murdering her, is tragic.

I really don't know what to make of Jon/Dany romance .. yes, it was on the show but neither their romance nor the notorious stabbing were any of the 3 big spoilers . then looking at the characters, they are not really each others' type :

Dany is into dangerous bad boys (something that unfortunately might drawn her towards Euron before realizing he is a psychopath) . in my opinion , even a cold badass Jon will probably be more of a solemn Allaric Stark than Dany's type of man . meanwhile, Jon likes the warrior tough girls. granted, Dragonlord Dany could be counted as a warrior queen and she isn't ladylike enough to sit a court without throwing her sandals away , but still, on the surface she is the girly girl type that Jon hasn't shown any interest in before . even if Jon kills Daenerys at the end , I doubt there will be a relationship between them . besides, I find it possible that these two characters never properly meet at all . especially that in their dreams Jon fights the wights with a burning sword on the Wall and Dany fights the Others on Drogon's back at the Trident. 

More randomness: does anyone else think the name Clegane is a little out of place in this story? It sounds French. Most of the surnames in this series sound English, or very deliberately fantasy (e.g. Targaryen, Greyjoy). I guess you could say the same thing about Martell sounding Spanish, but Dorne is clearly influenced by Spain/the Mediterranean.

53 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

More randomness: does anyone else think the name Clegane is a little out of place in this story? It sounds French. Most of the surnames in this series sound English, or very deliberately fantasy (e.g. Targaryen, Greyjoy). I guess you could say the same thing about Martell sounding Spanish, but Dorne is clearly influenced by Spain/the Mediterranean.

I think it sounds VERY Scottish. 

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Hmm maybe? But it does sound different, doesn’t it?

To me it’s of the same ~ sound as, going alphabetically; Bethune, Brisbane, Clephane, Clelland, Cochrane, Erskine, Galbraith, Gardyne, Haldane, Kincaid, etc. 

10 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I meant different from the other ASOIAF surnames. 

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. Hmmm, not to my ear as much as yours, probably, like Costayne, Gargalan, Harclay, Cargyll, Qorgyle, Florent, Morrigen, Belgrave, Egen, even Bolton sound ~ kinda from the same ~ Scottish/northern English pool that I can easily imagine coming with a burr (though my step grandfather is named Bolton and is more English/Welsh). But we are admittedly pretty far from the highway of objectivity here. I do agree there is [i]something[/i] about Clegane, but I’ve always assumed that was by way of association. 

I always forget that the Elder Brother may know the truth about why Jaime killed Aerys. Brienne basically confessed her whole life story to him, including her journey with Jaime in ASOS, so it wouldn’t be out of the question for her to have mentioned this, since it influenced their relationship so much. I get the impression that EB takes secrecy very seriously, but I’m curious if he’ll reveal this story to someone down the line, and the domino effect this will have. 

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I always forget that the Elder Brother may know the truth about why Jaime killed Aerys. Brienne basically confessed her whole life story to him, including her journey with Jaime in ASOS, so it wouldn’t be out of the question for her to have mentioned this, since it influenced their relationship so much. I get the impression that EB takes secrecy very seriously, but I’m curious if he’ll reveal this story to someone down the line, and the domino effect this will have. 

I don’t think the truth would do Jaime any good.  The general view would still be to condemn him for breaking his oath.

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Completely random thought: If the ending in the books doesn't turn out to be the same as in the show, could that technically be labeled as false advertising or something like that?

Yes, but to sue for damages you need to show that you received an inferior product. For example, a restaurant can substitute ingredients from what's listed on the menu provided the substitute ingredients aren't cheaper or of worse quality. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the ending in the books will not be deemed to be inferior to the ending in the show.

7 hours ago, Groo said:

Yes, but to sue for damages you need to show that you received an inferior product. For example, a restaurant can substitute ingredients from what's listed on the menu provided the substitute ingredients aren't cheaper or of worse quality. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the ending in the books will not be deemed to be inferior to the ending in the show.

I wasn't thinking in terms of better/worse, but more strictly in terms of same/different. It's public knowledge that GRRM provided D&D with the endings for the major characters. If those endings turn out to be different in the books, could it be interpreted as him having lied to them?  

5 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I wasn't thinking in terms of better/worse, but more strictly in terms of same/different. It's public knowledge that GRRM provided D&D with the endings for the major characters. If those endings turn out to be different in the books, could it be interpreted as him having lied to them?  

No.  They’re different canon.