Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

On 4/30/2022 at 9:43 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Completely random, but why is Harrenhal spelled with one "l"?

LOL.  That always screws me up.  Reflexively, I spell it with two Ls.  Then I have to friggin look it up just to make sure.  Now, I just don't care and let the Ls fall where they may.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:29 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Sort of a crossover comment, but I was thinking about the spin-offs, and no matter how good they are, I don’t think book fans will ever be satisfied. It would be different if the series was finished, but I think this fandom has ascended to a level of bitterness where any small change is going to annoy us. I’ve already seen book fans complain about how the Targaryen and Velaryon sigils don’t match the book descriptions exactly. So even if HOTD or any of the other shows are smash hits, I feel like we’re sort of pre-conditioned to be disappointed.

People are waiting for closure on unanswered questions.

Abstract

As people acquire knowledge about the world, they generate and test hypotheses using relevant information. Such cognitive activities do not have a distinct point of termination, and the process of generating hypotheses could go on indefinitely, as could the examination of more and more information intended to validate these hypotheses. The need for cognitive closure has been conceptualized as a motivational "stopping mechanism" that applies "brakes" to the epistemic process and allows crystallized judgments to form. The need for closure is closely related to phenomena such as closed- and open-mindedness that have been addressed by prior psychological theories, including those of Piaget and Freud. The need for closure (NFC) has been defined as a desire for a definite answer to a question, as opposed to uncertainty, confusion, or ambiguity. It is assumed that the motivation toward closure varies along a continuum anchored at one end with a strong NFC and at the other end with a strong need to avoid closure. The NFC is elevated when the perceived benefits of possessing closure and/or the perceived costs of lacking closure are high. Likewise, the need to avoid closure is elevated when the perceived benefits of lacking closure and the perceived costs of possessing closure are high. These benefits and costs vary according to situational factors and individual differences. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2019 APA, all rights reserved)

The need for cognitive closure. - PsycNET (apa.org)

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

LOL.  That always screws me up.  Reflexively, I spell it with two Ls.  Then I have to friggin look it up just to make sure.  Now, I just don't care and let the Ls fall where they may.

Yeah, it's quite strange because there are several examples of the normal spelling in the series, as we've said. Summerhall, Crakehall, etc...

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

People are waiting for closure on unanswered questions.

The need for cognitive closure. - PsycNET (apa.org)

Yeah, I agree. And if the world of ASOIAF is bigger than just the main series now, he needs to start publishing more of it. As far as I know, this is the longest dry spell we’ve gone without new content since the first book came out. (I’m putting Rise of the Dragon in the same category as the calendars, since they’re nice to have but don’t include any new information). 

On the one hand, it’s incredible that a show like HOTD even exists. On the other, it’s the fourth rehash of the Dance, following The Rogue Prince, The Princess and the Queen, TWOIAF, and FnB. Rise of the Dragon will be the sixth.

I just want to read something new. I’ll take anything at this point.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:52 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I just find it strange that Harrenhal and Summerhall are spelled differently.

One was named by an Ironborn, the other a Crownslander/Andalized Targaryen. In the same way that a name is Brandon in the North and Brynden in the Riverlands, or Arthor in the North and Vale but Arthur in Dorne, Edric Dayne is named after Eddard Stark, and Robb Stark is named after Robert Baratheon, but so is Robert Arryn. (The only male name that seems to travel universally is Jon.) ie, different regions in Westeros have different spelling patterns. There are no other single word locations in the Iron Islands that incorporate the word ‘hall’. When it’s used as a separate word it’s ‘Hall’ but possibly the tradition is to drop the second l when it’s incorporated. 

Or maybe GRRM just liked the look of it better. 

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Wait, are they supposed to be pronouced the same? I always pronounced Brynden as "Brinden".

Me too, but it’s a regional variation on the name; it’s a very common name but never appears as ‘Brandon’ amongst recorded Riverlanders, though there are many Bryndens.  I think our pronunciation is fine; regional variants often include minor pronunciation changes in RL. 

37 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Me too, but it’s a regional variation on the name; it’s a very common name but never appears as ‘Brandon’ amongst recorded Riverlanders, though there are many Bryndens.  I think our pronunciation is fine; regional variants often include minor pronunciation changes in RL. 

Yeah, I guess it depends on where you come from. As a Scandinavian, my natural inclination is to pronounce "y" as "ee", which is why I pronounced Redwyne as "Red win" and not "Red wine" for a long time, for example.

11 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Yeah, I guess it depends on where you come from. As a Scandinavian, my natural inclination is to pronounce "y" as "ee", which is why I pronounced Redwyne as "Red win" and not "Red wine" for a long time, for example.

Not Red vin? :)

I've got a long thought:)

in SoS , Jon looks up and names 4 stars he shares with Yigrete in name: 

"...he was old friends with the Ice Dragon, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning. All those he shared with Ygritte..."

now in my latest re-read ,I can't help but think of Jon , Arya and Sansa when reading Ice Dragon (duh!) , Shadowcat (dangerous , quite killer) and Moonmaid (shy and beautiful) . then I thought these are Stark children ! does that make Bran the Sword of the Morning? ..

I searched Sword of the Morning in the books . there are two occasions that this star appears in the books , both in Jon chapters : first in this chapter when Jon has a bit of an identity crisis and later in the next chapter in the morning when he allows himself to hope and sees Sword of the Morning still hung in the south . then I searched for the Ice Dragon (my better candidate for Jon Snow's star). apparently the ice Dragon is the northern star and it keeps leading Bran to his destiny beyond the Wall. ... so in second glance , Jon's the Sword of the Morning and Bran is the Ice Dragon= tied to the Others (beautiful magical Ice creatures) and opposite of Dany and her fire dragons (beautiful magical fire creatures ) 

so , what does it mean? ... the first thing that comes to mind is Jon's parentage debate . as much as I like Jon to be Arthur Dayne's son for the symmetry it makes between father and son and their celibate brotherhoods and their broken vows , I think there's unfortunately a slim chance that it's the case(unless George gives us more clues in WoW) . however , Dayne bastard or not , I think Jon will get Dawn (or not) and takes up the role that perhaps the first Sword of the Morning had : ending the Long Night and "hope" he allows himself when seeing Sword of the Morning is the dream of spring that he will represent .

Edited by EggBlue

12 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

@Werthead Do you know if it's true that GRRM finished all of Tyrion's ASOS chapters while still writing ACoK? If so, he must have planned some version of the Queenmaker plot for a very long time.

I believe so, if not all of them then it appears the majority.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:49 AM, Werthead said:

I believe so, if not all of them then it appears the majority.

This is why I think that George, in a way, has written some of ADOS already. He’s probably written more Tyrion and Arya chapters than can fit in Winds, and maybe a few other characters like Cersei too.

Cersei’s technically the lady paramount of the Westerlands, right? I always forget that, but it’s kind of a huge deal. I do believe Kevan deserves some blame for putting Cersei through the Walk of Shame (and being dumb enough to think that Tywin wouldn’t oppose it) but I still consider him less of a misogynist than Tywin for not trying to rob her of that.

It also goes to show that Tyrion really didn’t need Tywin’s approval to be the next Lord of Casterly Rock. No one except Cersei would have objected, and she would have probably been placated by knowing that he was far away from her this way. It’s like how a bunch of the Ironborn still wanted Theon to be king after Balon’s death, even though he had disappeared. It’s certainly ironic.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Cersei’s technically the lady paramount of the Westerlands, right?

No? She made her cousins the Warden and castellen, idk about defacto boss tho, I believe that's all tbd

. I do believe Kevan deserves some blame for putting Cersei through the Walk of Shame (and being dumb enough to think that Tywin wouldn’t oppose it) but I still consider him less of a misogynist than Tywin for not trying to rob her of that.

For sure, but less then near infinite is still a pretty high number lol

It also goes to show that Tyrion really didn’t need Tywin’s approval to be the next Lord of Casterly Rock.

Word. The thing about a will and testimony is your not there to inforce it

She ripped the letter in half, ripped the halves in quarters, and let the pieces flutter to the floor.

"Those were the king's words," Ser Barristan said, shocked.

"We have a new king now," Cersei Lannister replied.

No one except Cersei would have objected, and she would have probably been placated by knowing that he was far away from her this way.

I don't think so, Cersei is convinced Tyrion is out to destroy her and her life, I don't think there's any scenario where she's not Tyrion's enemy

It’s like how a bunch of the Ironborn still wanted Theon to be king after Balon’s death, even though he had disappeared. It’s certainly ironic.

There were, are (and I think will be) absolutely zero support for Theon on the iron islands

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Cersei’s technically the lady paramount of the Westerlands, right? I always forget that, but it’s kind of a huge deal. I do believe Kevan deserves some blame for putting Cersei through the Walk of Shame (and being dumb enough to think that Tywin wouldn’t oppose it) but I still consider him less of a misogynist than Tywin for not trying to rob her of that.

yeah but he was still a misogynist nonetheless 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It also goes to show that Tyrion really didn’t need Tywin’s approval to be the next Lord of Casterly Rock. No one except Cersei would have objected, and she would have probably been placated by knowing that he was far away from her this way. 

I think there is no scenario where Cersei doesn't blame Tyrion for something... if it's not Jefferey's death , it's Tywin's , if not Tywin , Jaimie's love , if not Jaimie , Casterly Rock, etc. but yes I do think Tyrion could have ended up lord without any problem ; he was legally the heir , he was smart enough to put every one of his vassals in their humble place and he was the king's brother in law

46 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

No? She made her cousins the Warden and castellen, idk about defacto boss tho, I believe that's all tbd

For sure, but less then near infinite is still a pretty high number lol

Word. The thing about a will and testimony is your not there to inforce it

I don't think so, Cersei is convinced Tyrion is out to destroy her and her life, I don't think there's any scenario where she's not Tyrion's enemy

There were, are (and I think will be) absolutely zero support for Theon on the iron islands

Didn’t Euron execute Lord Botley for saying that Theon was the rightful king?