Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

24 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Didn’t Euron execute Lord Botley for saying that Theon was the rightful king?

Word, good call!

That's what Goodbrother said, idk if that's exactly what Botley said though. I say this because Goodbrother is a weird type of Ironborn. He likes the faith and maesters and all things greenland. So to me it makes sense why he'd want the first son to be heir, instead of whatever the Ironborn usually do (which is usually first son lol)

On 3/14/2022 at 10:06 AM, By Odin's Beard said:

I figured out why Vargo Hoat* had a lisp.  Vargo was heavily associated with the Black Goat, and the sigil of the Black Goat is the Theta, because the Theta looks exactly like a goat's eye.  Θ And the Theta signifies death, and that it is why it was the sigil of the Ecological Engineering Corp and the Yaga-la-hai death cult.

The Theta is the sound "TH" and having Vargo's every other syllable be "TH" is hitting us over the head with Thetas.  Because he is the avatar of the Black Goat.

Hahaha this is the most hilarious thing I’ve read all day!

I think I’ve said this before, but I consider Tywin’s greatest attribute to be how he looked after his four younger siblings for basically his entire life (I know he’s said to have also been a good husband, but I have my suspicions). I was thinking about the possibility of how, with the rate that the Lannister cousins are dropping, Joy Hill might end up inheriting Casterly Rock, and it occurred to me: Tywin humiliated his father’s mistress, and threatened to kill any whore he found with Tyrion, but he was apparently willing to take care of Gerion’s bastard and, as far as we know, never did anything to Joy’s mother. For whatever reason, he didn’t see that as an embarrassment.

21 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think I’ve said this before, but I consider Tywin’s greatest attribute to be how he looked after his four younger siblings for basically his entire life (I know he’s said to have also been a good husband, but I have my suspicions). I was thinking about the possibility of how, with the rate that the Lannister cousins are dropping, Joy Hill might end up inheriting Casterly Rock, and it occurred to me: Tywin humiliated his father’s mistress, and threatened to kill any whore he found with Tyrion, but he was apparently willing to take care of Gerion’s bastard and, as far as we know, never did anything to Joy’s mother. For whatever reason, he didn’t see that as an embarrassment.

I think the first was pretty basic Freudian angst and the second was just one of many Tyrion-specific pathologies Tywin demonstrates. 

edit:: having said that, I disagree with those who say Shae in his bed makes Tywin a hypocrite, even if we assume she was there for the most obvious of reasons. Tywin basically never talks about morality, he often talks about prestige. If Tyrion whored his life away but no one knew about it, I doubt Tywin would care. Well, he might because it’s Tyrion, but my point is whenever he talks to Tyrion about Shae he talks about image/prestige/reputation.

He doesn’t say ‘whores are immoral’, he says ‘you disgrace our house by openly consorting with whores’. There’s a difference, and it’s one that, if the rumour is true, Tywin cared enough about to build a secret freaking tunnel. So his condemnation of Tyrion’s public ‘whoring’ and his own completely secret whoring are not contradictory, they are different things entirely and in fact Tywin’s  insistence on keeping it quiet is a much more rational demand than keeping it celibate. He just doesn’t trust Tyrion to maintain the distinction, with cause. 

Edited by James Arryn

On 5/9/2022 at 3:52 PM, TormundsWoman said:

Hahaha this is the most hilarious thing I’ve read all day!

Yeah, but it makes sense so I'll call it another good catch by OB.  I think it's interesting but don't care either way. Vargo Hoat has seriously enriched my life. Back when I read Storm for the first time I would sometimes loudly exclaim "Kingthlayer!"  and then happily snigger to myself for a good 2 or 3 minutes when I thought I was alone.  Ok I still do sometimes, and I throw in the odd 'thapphireth' too.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m coming around on the idea that Euron might team up with Cersei and crown himself as some kind of King in the West. The show may have completely made up their alliance, but I could also see it as a bastardized version of whatever George has in mind for Cersei. I could see her being taken captive by Aegon and acting as a POV inside of the Red Keep as well, but there are a few quibbles with that:

a) In this scenario, Robert Strong would all but certainly have to die. Would he really be removed from the story that fast?

b) Would Cersei really spend two books as a prisoner in King’s Landing? (I don’t have a link, but George apparently let slip that she survives TWOW). 

It’s also an additional complication that would explain why the book is taking so damn long. Cersei vs. the Tyrells —> Tyrells and Cersei vs. Aegon —> Aegon vs. Cersei and Euron —> Cersei and Euron vs. Asha and Theon —> Asha and Theon vs. Stannis —> Stannis vs. the Boltons —> Stannis vs. Aegon —> Aegon vs. Dany —> Dany vs. everyone. 

My head hurts. Just stay dead, Jon.

I agree. EuronXCersei is all but guaranteed to happen. 

But I don't think that will happen until after Cersei leaves King's Landing. Which means to say it won't happen until A Dream of Spring

I don't think Cersei will be stuck in King's Landing for too long. I can see there being a chapter or two where she is being held prisoner (and reunites with Sansa) by Aegon before engineering her own escape from the city. Myrcella will probably die during the escape similarly to how she died on the way out of Dorne in the show

On 5/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, BlackLightning said:

I agree. EuronXCersei is all but guaranteed to happen. 

But I don't think that will happen until after Cersei leaves King's Landing. Which means to say it won't happen until A Dream of Spring

I don't think Cersei will be stuck in King's Landing for too long. I can see there being a chapter or two where she is being held prisoner (and reunites with Sansa) by Aegon before engineering her own escape from the city. Myrcella will probably die during the escape similarly to how she died on the way out of Dorne in the show

Part of me wonders if Cersei would have ended up married to Euron if there was no Robert’s Rebellion. Tywin was willing to betroth her to Balon or Theon in ASOS, so it’s not out of the question. But I also wonder if Quellon knew better than to marry Euron off to anyone, given that Victarion was married three times but there’s no mention of his older brother even being betrothed. 

20 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Part of me wonders if Cersei would have ended up married to Euron if there was no Robert’s Rebellion. Tywin was willing to betroth her to Balon or Theon in ASOS, so it’s not out of the question. But I also wonder if Quellon knew better than to marry Euron off to anyone, given that Victarion was married three times but there’s no mention of his older brother even being betrothed. 

Tywin would not have abided that.

There was no way that his one and only daughter would be betrothed to a second son of an Ironborn lord. The Ironborn are already sketch so Tywin would be reluctant to even marry her to the Lord of Pyke. No way to Euron.

It'd be Balon or bust.

A good option for Cersei, however, would have been Elbert Arryn, Jon Arryn's pre-Robert's Rebellion heir of the Vale.

If it wasn't Balon, Edmure or Elbert, Cersei would be marrying below her station.

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I've long been thinking that by the end of the book the Wall will be destroyed . but do you think it'll cause a terrible avalanche or will it magically turn to winds?

I wonder if it will do something like this:

A Storm of Swords - Samwell I

When he opened his eyes the Other's armor was running down its legs in rivulets as pale blue blood hissed and steamed around the black dragonglass dagger in its throat. It reached down with two bone-white hands to pull out the knife, but where its fingers touched the obsidian they smoked.

Sam rolled onto his side, eyes wide as the Other shrank and puddled, dissolving away. In twenty heartbeats its flesh was gone, swirling away in a fine white mist. Beneath were bones like milkglass, pale and shiny, and they were melting too. Finally only the dragonglass dagger remained, wreathed in steam as if it were alive and sweating. Grenn bent to scoop it up and flung it down again at once. "Mother, that's cold."

So ends the ice dragon?

Edited by LynnS

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Personally, I find the idea of a magic horn that can knock down an 800 foot wall kind of corny, so I hope it’s not that.

I don't know.  I'm thinking magical flaming dragonsteel sword.  And Joramund blew the horn of winter but Wall didn't fall that time.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Personally, I find the idea of a magic horn that can knock down an 800 foot wall kind of corny, so I hope it’s not that.

I suspect there will be more blood involved than blow

I'm guessing that the great lore that raised the Wall; the wards and whatever keeps this impossible structure standing, instead of collapsing under it's own weight, has a connection to the magic of the White Walkers.  In other words, the ice magic that is used to make the WWs icy bodies, out of snow and ice and cold, is the same magic used in the great lore of the Wall.  That it might even be the source of the magic;  if we are to believe that Mel and Jon (and unidentified others), can access and use the magic of the Wall.  The Wall itself may act as a dam or reservoir of ice magic;  something that is stored and can be releaded at intervals giving Planetos it's winter/summer oscillation. 

Bran describes the Wall as a giant blue crystal; something that might focus or channel ice magic in a similar way to Mel's rubies.  Proximity to the Wall seems to enhance Mel's powers in a similar manner to the return of dragons increasing the ambient fire magic.

Undoing the magic of the Wall may cause it to collapse and/or eliminate the source of magic used by the WWs; and return the seasons to it's normal progress.

How the WWs are undone (with dragonglass), how the spell is broken according to GRRM, might be a very small demonstration of what would happen to the Wall on a massive scale, if the same magic is at play.

So looking at what Martin has already shown us, in Sam's destruction of a WW; might give us a hint about the Wall.

Edited by LynnS

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Have we ever got an explanation as to what the phrase "What is dead may never die" actually means? I never really understood that.

You can’t go to Indianapolis if you are already in Indianapolis. 

Indianapolis ^here^, as in the real world, equals grim death. 

Edited by James Arryn