Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

It isnt really a random thought but, I really hate the way Catelyn, Robb and Brynden treat Edmure.

To them Ed is a big soft-hearted goof who they almost never take seriously who is always doing shit, but like, have they ever looked at themself? Catelyn thinks the commoners Edmure let into the castle are useless mouths which strategically makes sense, but she should keep in mind that she had a big part in the destruction that befell the riverlands when she made the great mistake of kidnapping Tyrion, which definitely is one the dumbest decisions in asoiaf. Robb complains that Edmure didn't do what he asked, stay in Riverrun, 'cause Robb had a plan to lure Tywin into a trap, but man, why didn't you just tell Edmure your plans? "Oh, but he told Edmure to stay there and defend the castle." The guy was Robb's main ally, his uncle, Lord of one of the great houses and his country is the most fucked up in a war that his sister brought to him and the kid doesn't have the regard to let the guy know about his war plans?! Robb still sent Edmure to a last minute wedding 'cause the boy broke his marriage pact. And Brynden always with that air, "you're weak, you lack hate".

<_<

Edited by Odej

Going back to the “are years longer in Westeros?” hypothetical, the obsession with seven in this series makes me wonder if 17 months in a year would make for a good headcanon. If I did my math right, this would make Dany about 17 at the start of the series, and Jon and Robb about 18.

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Going back to the “are years longer in Westeros?” hypothetical, the obsession with seven in this series makes me wonder if 17 months in a year would make for a good headcanon. If I did my math right, this would make Dany about 17 at the start of the series, and Jon and Robb about 18.

Let's do it!

52 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

so, when are we finally taking this sensible petition to GRRM?

21 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

But whhhhyyy? It would make the ages so much less uncomfortable.

There are those who would say that any book that's comfortable to read is probably not worth reading.

32 minutes ago, Ran said:

There are those who would say that any book that's comfortable to read is probably not worth reading.

I mean, we’d still have all the murder and rape and incest and torture and pyromania, right? So it’s not like ASOIAF would be lacking for disturbing content.

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Maybe someone close to GRRM should mention it to him *ahem* ::eyes a certain mod:: 

Possibly it would be a more efficient method to simply treat it as headcanon......without the stress of waiting even more for a reply. I'm sure GRRM is busy, and I'm not keen on being as stressed as Admiral Piett. 

I don't remember if HBO's still working on Dunk and Egg project but imagine it does... then HBO will have three Targ projects with three Targ heros... and how depressing is that?!... Daenerys snaps into madness and is killed by her nephew, Rhaenyra gets depressed and is torched by her brother and Egg burns down himself and almost his entire family... 

Edited by EggBlue

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I don't remember if HBO's still working on Dunk and Egg project but imagine it does... then HBO will have three Targ projects with three Targ heros... and how depressing is that?!... Daenerys snaps into madness and is killed by her nephew, Rhaenyra gets depressed and is torched by her brother and Egg burns down himself and almost his entire family... 

Yeah, I don’t think they’re going to be able to do another Targaryen show after HOTD, at least not for a while. Fatigue is going to set in, especially when all the main characters look the same. If the main series is ever finished, I assume HBO will do a reboot of GOT, but that means the books would have to be finished first. . . 

are we sure none of them have last name? I mean if no one has a last name among smallfolk why would commoner bastards (like ser Rolly) without noble blood should have bastard last names? 

ps. Janos Slint has a last name too and unlike Clegane or Seaworth , it doesn't seem like a proper name he had chosen later in life...

2 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

are we sure none of them have last name? I mean if no one has a last name among smallfolk why would commoner bastards (like ser Rolly) without noble blood should have bastard last names? 

ps. Janos Slint has a last name too and unlike Clegane or Seaworth , it doesn't seem like a proper name he had chosen later in life...

Maybe @Ran could provide some insight? Do certain smallfolk have last names?

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Maybe @Ran could provide some insight? Do certain smallfolk have last names?

While ordinary peasants don't have last names, I would expect those with a business, other property, and professionals to have family names, like Tobho Mott.  Easier to keep track of stuff that way.  Where the names would come from, I have no idea. 

Okay I've been thinking about his for awhile: How Ygritte and Jon's relationships started is objectively hilarious from her point of view. 

Her cultural practice is bride stealing. This is their marriage ceremony. Jon thinks they're enemies and is taking her hostage, but he is essentially participating in this bride stealing rite. So from her perspective, Jon basically proposes marriage, gets away with it (which we're told isn't always the case), and then... refuses to sleep with her for the longest time? And has an existential crises the whole time? Our cultural equivalent would be if someone met you at the alter, swore his marriage vows, and lived with you as a spouse all while fervently protesting they weren't going to marry you because of their honor, but still buying the ring, moving in with you, etc. I know we learn she was exasperated but she also must have been so confused. Like, you have this husband. And he's an awesome fighter, which is great (because you'd just slit his throat if he wasn't worthy),  young, hot, eventually amazing in bed, and a powerful warg. Cool, especially in a society where you're a spear wife and kissed by fire and probably everyone wants you. Yeah he's broody and a CROW, and a warg who doesn't seem to know what that is - which are all a problem - but he's literally living in her cultures version of a marriage while protesting he's not. She must have been SO CONFUSED.