Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

I think Conqueror's Prophecy is my favorite new information :P I can even work it into Baelor's odd behavior! my theory is that Baelor had dreams of his own (like Daeron the drunken and other targs) and he saw Aegon's apocalyptic dream on his own . but as a fanatic , his reaction was more like Shepherd's reaction to Green's army rather than Aegon's reaction . which explains why he decided that house Targaryen must end ! hence , imprisoning his sisters and sending away his married cousin to Bravos! 

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

Recently I was wondering why there is no Magna Carta equivalent in Westeros. You would think that after Aerys the nobles would be especially keen to limit the king's power.

Given how all major lords have their own armies, the king is quite dependent on them. So I don't think something like a Magna Carta would be necessary.

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Given how all major lords have their own armies, the king is quite dependent on them. So I don't think something like a Magna Carta would be necessary.

That's true, and it usually works to keep the king in check as they know they can't step out of line too much, but I still don't understand why they wouldn't codify something like the Magna Carta to make it official, especially after Aerys was overthrown or when the Targaryens lost their dragons. At this point the lords have more power than the king, why not make it so that the king legally can't have unlimited power anymore? It would make it much easier to replace a troublesome king too, as they can say they have the law on their side and so aren't rebels/traitors/usurpers.

3 minutes ago, One-Winged Balrog said:

Do you think ASOIAF would have been better if GRRM had killed more POV characters?

I don't think killing off additional POV characters would have done anything. My issue with the characters dying is that is seems lopsided in favour of the 'evil' characters. I think more bad guys need to die. Apart from Tywin and Vargo Hoat, I feel like the only people dying are good guys. Ned, Catelyn, Ser Arys, Quentyn, possibly Jon. It feels a bit one-sided.

Also quite a lot of the people who die only have one POV chapter so they don't have as much impact.

15 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I just hope it wasn't because the discussion got too heated. 

Is that why the w**ting threads were deleted/locked? Because I’m super bummed about that. (Mods, could someone shed some light on this for us, please? I would really appreciate it).

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

Back to random thoughts: there’s a bit of a consensus among fans that the Riverlands have it the worst during times of war, but after re-reading the Dance, I think that the Crownlands take the top spot. They’re essentially forced to follow whoever sits the Iron Throne, and are brutally attacked during every civil war. 

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Back to random thoughts: there’s a bit of a consensus among fans that the Riverlands have it the worst during times of war, but after re-reading the Dance, I think that the Crownlands take the top spot. They’re essentially forced to follow whoever sits the Iron Throne, and are brutally attacked during every civil war. 

I think a lot of people base their opinion on what happened during the War of the Five Kings - the Riverlands had it way worse than anyone by far because Tywin went out of his way to wreck them. By contrast the Crownlands aren't nearly as wrecked.

I've got a new theory regarding SanSan which got longer than I intended!

summary : I think Sansa reminds Sandor of his dead sister at the beginning of the story. so here's my train of thoughts:  

I've always found the fact that Sandor is suddenly so drawn to Sansa to the point he gets vulnerable every time they are together rather cheesy and old school ( basically "becoming a better man for the special girl" trope that dominated the fiction media of my teens ) . after all , although Sansa is a purely good hearted character , she does not come off as any different than other naive 11 yr old girls in court . moreover , her treatment around Sandor is not anything unique , she is frightened of him like everybody else .  Sandor's treatment of her isn't normal either. he , who is not exactly a talkative person at court, for some reasons thinks with himself that he should frighten the Hand's daughter from the beginning and talk to her in a non-courtly manner. sexual attraction is out of question in the beginning of their encounter in my opinion . since , Sandor seems to want to warn Sansa about her un-true world view above all else, unlike , say, Littlefinger who gives Sansa the feeling of being naked . and George has included Sansa's puberty and womanhood as a turning point ,perhaps ,with talking about how she started outgrowing her clothes and how her breasts grew with later catching the attention of stable boys when she rides in the yard , Sandor in her chamber and all the knights in the Vale Tourney . so , what is that draws Sandor to Sansa at the beginning? well , we know Sandor had a sister who mysteriously disappeared, most certainly killed by the Mountain . we know George seems to taken " God is in the details" to heart and with Sandor , dead wives and servants' stories Gregor is painted as a monstrous man already and there's not much of a need for a dead sister as well.  therefore, I think Sansa's interests , beliefs and disposition remind Sandor of the sister who got killed by his brother who is the symbol of everything wrong with Sansa's worldview (that knights are good hearted heroes who never harm the innocent) . of course , there is no way to prove this  and there is no evidence other than I think Sandor's sudden attraction is unrealistic and am effectively looking for explanations! 

thoughts? 

28 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I've got a new theory regarding SanSan which got longer than I intended!

summary : I think Sansa reminds Sandor of his dead sister at the beginning of the story. so here's my train of thoughts:  

I've always found the fact that Sandor is suddenly so drawn to Sansa to the point he gets vulnerable every time they are together rather cheesy and old school ( basically "becoming a better man for the special girl" trope that dominated the fiction media of my teens ) . after all , although Sansa is a purely good hearted character , she does not come off as any different than other naive 11 yr old girls in court . moreover , her treatment around Sandor is not anything unique , she is frightened of him like everybody else .  Sandor's treatment of her isn't normal either. he , who is not exactly a talkative person at court, for some reasons thinks with himself that he should frighten the Hand's daughter from the beginning and talk to her in a non-courtly manner. sexual attraction is out of question in the beginning of their encounter in my opinion . since , Sandor seems to want to warn Sansa about her un-true world view above all else, unlike , say, Littlefinger who gives Sansa the feeling of being naked . and George has included Sansa's puberty and womanhood as a turning point ,perhaps ,with talking about how she started outgrowing her clothes and how her breasts grew with later catching the attention of stable boys when she rides in the yard , Sandor in her chamber and all the knights in the Vale Tourney . so , what is that draws Sandor to Sansa at the beginning? well , we know Sandor had a sister who mysteriously disappeared, most certainly killed by the Mountain . we know George seems to taken " God is in the details" to heart and with Sandor , dead wives and servants' stories Gregor is painted as a monstrous man already and there's not much of a need for a dead sister as well.  therefore, I think Sansa's interests , beliefs and disposition remind Sandor of the sister who got killed by his brother who is the symbol of everything wrong with Sansa's worldview (that knights are good hearted heroes who never harm the innocent) . of course , there is no way to prove this  and there is no evidence other than I think Sandor's sudden attraction is unrealistic and am effectively looking for explanations! 

thoughts? 

My problem with Sansa reminding Sandor of his sister is that he never mentions her, to either Sansa or Arya (he does talk about his brother, father, and grandfather). Usually he brings up things that are on his mind, like how he talks about Sansa constantly around Arya. I think the attraction is based on how age is this weird abstract concept in ASOIAF, where the characters seem older than they are depending on the scene. I think him telling her about Gregor was just happenstance—the dam broke and she happened to be with him when it did—but that her reaction (trying to console him instead of being horrified) lit a spark. 

But this is all just conjecture on my part. Hopefully one day we get some kind of resolution.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

My problem with Sansa reminding Sandor of his sister is that he never mentions her, to either Sansa or Arya (he does talk about his brother, father, and grandfather). Usually he brings up things that are on his mind, like how he talks about Sansa constantly around Arya. I think the attraction is based on how age is this weird abstract concept in ASOIAF, where the characters seem older than they are depending on the scene. I think him telling her about Gregor was just happenstance—the dam broke and she happened to be with him when it did—but that her reaction (trying to console him instead of being horrified) lit a spark. 

But this is all just conjecture on my part. Hopefully one day we get some kind of resolution.

hopefully