Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I've long been thinking that by the end of the book the Wall will be destroyed . but do you think it'll cause a terrible avalanche or will it magically turn to winds?

I wonder if it will do something like this:

A Storm of Swords - Samwell I

When he opened his eyes the Other's armor was running down its legs in rivulets as pale blue blood hissed and steamed around the black dragonglass dagger in its throat. It reached down with two bone-white hands to pull out the knife, but where its fingers touched the obsidian they smoked.

Sam rolled onto his side, eyes wide as the Other shrank and puddled, dissolving away. In twenty heartbeats its flesh was gone, swirling away in a fine white mist. Beneath were bones like milkglass, pale and shiny, and they were melting too. Finally only the dragonglass dagger remained, wreathed in steam as if it were alive and sweating. Grenn bent to scoop it up and flung it down again at once. "Mother, that's cold."

So ends the ice dragon?

Edited by LynnS

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Personally, I find the idea of a magic horn that can knock down an 800 foot wall kind of corny, so I hope it’s not that.

I don't know.  I'm thinking magical flaming dragonsteel sword.  And Joramund blew the horn of winter but Wall didn't fall that time.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Personally, I find the idea of a magic horn that can knock down an 800 foot wall kind of corny, so I hope it’s not that.

I suspect there will be more blood involved than blow

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing that the great lore that raised the Wall; the wards and whatever keeps this impossible structure standing, instead of collapsing under it's own weight, has a connection to the magic of the White Walkers.  In other words, the ice magic that is used to make the WWs icy bodies, out of snow and ice and cold, is the same magic used in the great lore of the Wall.  That it might even be the source of the magic;  if we are to believe that Mel and Jon (and unidentified others), can access and use the magic of the Wall.  The Wall itself may act as a dam or reservoir of ice magic;  something that is stored and can be releaded at intervals giving Planetos it's winter/summer oscillation. 

Bran describes the Wall as a giant blue crystal; something that might focus or channel ice magic in a similar way to Mel's rubies.  Proximity to the Wall seems to enhance Mel's powers in a similar manner to the return of dragons increasing the ambient fire magic.

Undoing the magic of the Wall may cause it to collapse and/or eliminate the source of magic used by the WWs; and return the seasons to it's normal progress.

How the WWs are undone (with dragonglass), how the spell is broken according to GRRM, might be a very small demonstration of what would happen to the Wall on a massive scale, if the same magic is at play.

So looking at what Martin has already shown us, in Sam's destruction of a WW; might give us a hint about the Wall.

Edited by LynnS

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Have we ever got an explanation as to what the phrase "What is dead may never die" actually means? I never really understood that.

You can’t go to Indianapolis if you are already in Indianapolis. 

Indianapolis ^here^, as in the real world, equals grim death. 

Edited by James Arryn

Posted (edited)

It isnt really a random thought but, I really hate the way Catelyn, Robb and Brynden treat Edmure.

To them Ed is a big soft-hearted goof who they almost never take seriously who is always doing shit, but like, have they ever looked at themself? Catelyn thinks the commoners Edmure let into the castle are useless mouths which strategically makes sense, but she should keep in mind that she had a big part in the destruction that befell the riverlands when she made the great mistake of kidnapping Tyrion, which definitely is one the dumbest decisions in asoiaf. Robb complains that Edmure didn't do what he asked, stay in Riverrun, 'cause Robb had a plan to lure Tywin into a trap, but man, why didn't you just tell Edmure your plans? "Oh, but he told Edmure to stay there and defend the castle." The guy was Robb's main ally, his uncle, Lord of one of the great houses and his country is the most fucked up in a war that his sister brought to him and the kid doesn't have the regard to let the guy know about his war plans?! Robb still sent Edmure to a last minute wedding 'cause the boy broke his marriage pact. And Brynden always with that air, "you're weak, you lack hate".

<_<

Edited by Odej

Going back to the “are years longer in Westeros?” hypothetical, the obsession with seven in this series makes me wonder if 17 months in a year would make for a good headcanon. If I did my math right, this would make Dany about 17 at the start of the series, and Jon and Robb about 18.

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Going back to the “are years longer in Westeros?” hypothetical, the obsession with seven in this series makes me wonder if 17 months in a year would make for a good headcanon. If I did my math right, this would make Dany about 17 at the start of the series, and Jon and Robb about 18.

Let's do it!

52 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

so, when are we finally taking this sensible petition to GRRM?

21 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

But whhhhyyy? It would make the ages so much less uncomfortable.

There are those who would say that any book that's comfortable to read is probably not worth reading.