Jump to content

Random Thoughts About ASOIAF


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Reek Reek, it rhymes with (insert English word here)

Ok, now I'm type curious. In translated versions of ADWD what words does Theon rhyme with?

Had to look it up briefly, but in the German version, he is called Stinker. His rhyme is: Stinker, mein Name ist Stinker, das kommt von stinken, und das reimt sich auf winken. (Stinker, my name is Stinker, it comes from stinking and that rhymes with waving.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, Lady Misery said:

Had to look it up briefly, but in the German version, he is called Stinker. His rhyme is: Stinker, mein Name ist Stinker, das kommt von stinken, und das reimt sich auf winken. (Stinker, my name is Stinker, it comes from stinking and that rhymes with waving.)

There have to be several words it rhymes with, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Baratheon women never become queens. Jocelyn’s husband died before assuming the crown, Aegon II died before wedding Cassandra, and Duncan ditched a different Cassandra for Jenny of Oldstones.

Speaking of which, was it first revealed that Jenny was Duncan’s wife in TWOIAF?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Since I was the last to post here a few weeks ago, I was waiting the whole time for somebody else to post here before asking my question today, but no one did. Oh, well...

I actually did post on here about a week ago but mods took it down :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I actually did post on here about a week ago but mods took it down :unsure:

Ah, I see. It's just that I spent many years at the Theforce.net forums, and over there people weren't allowed to post twice in a row, they had to wait before someone else posted. I know this doesn't apply here, but I still haven't got rid of those reflexes. :blush:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This could probably be its own topic, but it would likely lead to some bickering, so I'll just share it here. I really disagree with the notion that the Ironborn are comparable to the Confederacy/post-Civil War South. Both before and after the war, the southern states had representation in government. They also had thousands of acres of fertile land. The Ironborn don't have shit. Hardly anything grows on the islands, and the Iron Throne never did anything to bring them into the realm after Aegon I. No council seats, no royal progresses, no marriage alliances. Worst of all is how once the Dornish joined the Seven Kingdoms, the number didn't change to Eight--the Ironborn were just booted from all iconography in favor of the Dornish, despite having been part of the realm for two hundred years. The fact that they stayed loyal for as long as they did is pretty incredible, all things considered. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This could probably be its own topic, but it would likely lead to some bickering, so I'll just share it here.

Woah! We could still bicker here ;)

 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I really disagree with the notion that the Ironborn are comparable to the Confederacy/post-Civil War South.

Yea me too, I've never heard that before. What do people say are the similarities?

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Both before and after the war, the southern states had representation in government.

Well, not immediately before. That was the whole issue, north was becoming overwhelming and Lincoln ran, and won (with 0 southern votes, not even on the ballot lol) on a no more slave state platform.

And certainly not directly after, southern politicians were barred from like becoming senators and such (they kept not letting black people vote so Washington politically ignored them for like a decade)

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

They also had thousands of acres of fertile land. The Ironborn don't have shit.

I guess? Union burned lots of it. And the islands got resources, hence the name Iron islands 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

and the Iron Throne never did anything to bring them into the realm after Aegon I. No council seats, no royal progresses, no marriage alliances

Well that just means theyre not profiting off the prosperity and wellbeing of their nation. (Because, you know, they pay the iron price)

The Ironborn didn't even outlaw their thralls, but Westeros lets em rock. It helps the the children of thralls are freeborn citizens able to fully participant in their local government, something the south has a hard time of comparing itself with.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Worst of all is how once the Dornish joined the Seven Kingdoms, the number didn't change to Eight--the Ironborn were just booted from all iconography in favor of the Dornish, despite having been part of the realm for two hundred years.

I feel even worse for Dragonstone, their not even in the conversation 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The fact that they stayed loyal for as long as they did is pretty incredible, all things considered. 

Idk why any of them are still around 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some DotD thoughts:

Corlys chose to legitimize his “grandsons” as his heirs rather than have his not-grandson Joffrey be his heir. . . but he also passed over his 100% trueborn granddaughters in the process. By doing so, he chose the heir that did not descend from his departed wife, Rhaenys. Addam and Alyn may have publicly been acknowledged as Laenor’s bastards, but Corly knew better. It’s a shame he preferred erasing his wife’s memory over having a female heir (at this point, Corlys had no way of knowing that Alyn and Baela would eventually wed).

We’re told that Viserys was an amiable peacemaker, and I wonder if this was the product of him having grown up around so much tragedy. After Aemon’s death, Jaehaerys and Alysanne only had Baelon, Viserys, Daemon, Gael, and Rhaenys around. Then Jaehaerys alienated Rhaenys and he lost Gael and Alysanne. So by the time of his death, the only family Jaehaerys had left to comfort him was Viserys and his wife and daughter (I doubt Daemon was much of a comfort). I can see how Viserys would have started trying to placate and comfort people from an early age, first his father after Alyssa’s death, then his grandparents. He had to fill the hole left by eleven dead children. It also explains why he couldn’t bring himself to get rid of Daemon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Some DotD thoughts:

Corlys chose to legitimize his “grandsons” as his heirs rather than have his not-grandson Joffrey be his heir. . . but he also passed over his 100% trueborn granddaughters in the process. By doing so, he chose the heir that did not descend from his departed wife, Rhaenys. Addam and Alyn may have publicly been acknowledged as Laenor’s bastards, but Corly knew better. It’s a shame he preferred erasing his wife’s memory over having a female heir (at this point, Corlys had no way of knowing that Alyn and Baela would eventually wed).

I don't think Corlys meant to be sexist here. It is obvious Corlys loved Rhaenys, and he fought for her and Laena's claims at the Great Council of 101, not Laenor's. Was he faithful to Rhaenys? Seems like he wasn't, which again takes away from his good attributes.

But the thing is, Driftmark's heir had always been Laenor, who was younger than Laena. And the reason was his sex. As such, it is clear that House Velaryon, and the lordship of Driftmark had an established form of succession: Male only. Note that the extended Velaryon family was displeased with Corlys for legitimizing Alyn and Addam, but also with the illegitimacy of Laenor's sons, because it stripped them of the Lordship of Driftmark, not Baela or Rhaena. 

I personally would've loved if there were female rulers of the Iron Throne (I still don't get why Rhaenyra wasn't later aknowledged as Queen) and Driftmark, but male only succession resembles history. Just think of the french succession, the salic law.

Now of course, there are weird situations, such as Sansa having a truer claim to Winterfell than really distant branches of House Stark, but when females inherit, usually their descendants keep the maternal house name for themselves. Think of the Lannisters. It's for legitimacy. But also think of Alys Karstark, who is clearly the heir of Lord Rickard, despite having a living brother and nephew, who, of course, want to force Alys into a marriage with Cregan Karstark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, Daeron the Daring said:

Now of course, there are weird situations, such as Sansa having a truer claim to Winterfell than really distant branches of House Stark, but when females inherit, usually their descendants keep the maternal house name for themselves. Think of the Lannisters. It's for legitimacy. But also think of Alys Karstark, who is clearly the heir of Lord Rickard, despite having a living brother and nephew, who, of course, want to force Alys into a marriage with Cregan Karstark.

Maybe there is a clause in the law that lets Houses follow their own rules of inheritance to a certain degree? So if a house has always passed over the females, they can continue to do so even though official law states that a daughter comes before a nephew or cousin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...