Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think she's deeply in denial about it. In the Alayne sample chapter, she thinks about how his future wife will love his pretty hair if "the gods are good" and he lives long enough to wed. Sansa, like Ned, seems to be very good at compartmentalizing.

That's my impression. 

42 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

How big of a chance do you think Renly had of taking the throne if he hadn't been shadowbanned from the competition?

I think he probably would have taken the throne, but it wouldn’t be long before he was challenged for it, probably by Tommen’s supporters. He would have been deposed eventually, since he had no right to the crown besides wanting it. As a younger brother, anyone in Westeros would have a right to challenge him, and his throne would never be secure. All it would take is one drought/famine/plague, and the people would gather to someone else. Then there’s the North and Iron Islands to contend with. Maybe Robb would bend the knee, but it’s just as likely that he slinks back north and Renly has to attack in the winter. I have no idea what would happen to the Iron Islands, but I doubt they’d bend the knee to Renly.

There’s also the likelihood that Renly is branded a kinslayer even if he doesn’t personally slay Stannis, which would certainly hurt his reputation. And if he dies without issue, because there’ll likely still be fighting in the west, what then?

Honestly, the fact that so many people were willing to support Renly to begin with is bonkers and shows just how dumb Mace really is.* Renly had no claim and no legitimacy, yet all these noble houses were willing to take on the rest of the realm and risk losing everything to crown him—and this is before Robb, Stannis, or Balon declared themselves king, meaning he had no way of knowing that the entirety of the realm wouldn’t be facing him. It took decades to unite the kingdom against Aerys, and most people don’t realize that Joffrey is a monster (including the Tyrells—sans Olenna—since they were willing to betroth their daughter to him). 

*If you don’t believe me, remember that Kevan actually has to explain to Mace in ADWD that if Cersei loses her trial, that means Tommen will lose his crown, and therefore so will Margaery. And both Margaery and Olenna are careless enough to allude to the incest themselves, because apparently owning Cersei for ten seconds is more important than keeping the throne.

9 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Why wasn't Daemon given the Iron Throne as the first born legitimate son of the king regardless of Daeron's parentage?

Two reasons:

1. Daeron is significantly older than Daemon (his son Baelor was born the same year as Daemon).

2. I think bastards are like salt children, in that they still come after trueborn children in succession after they’re legitimized.

29 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Two reasons:

1. Daeron is significantly older than Daemon (his son Baelor was born the same year as Daemon).

2. I think bastards are like salt children, in that they still come after trueborn children in succession after they’re legitimized.

First reason's good enough. For some reason I had it in my head that Daemon was the older. Corrected. Thanks

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

How big of a chance do you think Renly had of taking the throne if he hadn't been shadowbanned from the competition?

A pretty good one. He had the  biggest and better army and his goes were killing themselves.

I think he would have been a pretty decent King but since I don't see him inclined to believe the supernatural, he would have ignored the Wall till it was too late.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

since he had no right to the crown besides wanting it

Renly is Robert's brother, him having a weak claim doesn't mean him having no claim. And history tells us that he could have succeeded just as easily as he could have failed.

There's lot of catastrophism surrounding his hypothetical ascension but it's just that catastrophism. Since we'll never know, we're entitled to paint that however we want, mine is pretty rosy for Renly hehehe. 

How was Varys going to crown Young G and depose the Baratheons without the Hail Mary of incest?

If not for Cersei welping her brother's children, the STAB coalition would have remained unbeatable and the Targlings would have remained in exile for the rest of their lives. It's often brought how fortunate Robert's dead was for Cersei and her family but Varys's luck is also something else.

On 3/20/2022 at 5:10 PM, SeanF said:

Random thought.

is Sansa knowingly poisoning Sweetrobin?

No. 

She has no reason to do so, and her thoughts are all about helping him get stronger.  Poisoning him defeats the purpose.  From what she has seen, the sweetsleep helps him function, and she probably thinks the maester is being overprotective.  

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I found a tarot card prediction thread on reddit from four years ago that diagnoses George's writer's block (among other things): 

I've put way too much thought into assigning ASOIAF/Planetos characters or scenes to appropriate Tarot cards, and don't have much to show for it.

10 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Why did Robert keep Varys as Master of Whisperers after taking the throne? Quite a dangerous figure to keep around.

It is all a metaphor for a weirwood hill.  The Red Keep is a red and white castle with a maze of tunnels inside and underneath it, barathrum means "abyss" and Robert was a metaphor for a greenseer.  And the Kingsguard are White Walkers who live in a weirwood white tower and guard the greenseer. 

Rabarta means "storm, fury" and in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, The Storm King was that stories version of the Night King, and at one point was described as a hill with an antler crown, the Storm Lord wears an Antler Crown, and the green men at the Isle of Faces have "antlers" but it is just a description of the weirwood circle that grows above a greenseer's head and forms the weirwood/antler crown.

Varis means "crow" and pyat/ piadr means "magpie, crow" and the real power behind the throne is the Crow, the Three-Eyed Crow.  It is a presence inside the weirwood network pulling all the strings, that the sitting greenseer can't get rid of, and can't do anything about.  The Crow drove the previous greenseer Aerys, insane.

40 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Why did Robert keep Varys as Master of Whisperers after taking the throne? Quite a dangerous figure to keep around.

no one saw him as dangerous though. just a lonely harmless useful eunich.

This is my craziest theory to date.  In greek peetouro means "bran" and I have previously noted that pyat and piat / piadoir mean "magpie" which is a kind of crow.  I think Bran is Petyr Baelish.

In Hindi patr means "wing, feather, leaf of a tree, letter, documents"  (and letters get carried by ravens, and all ravens have CoTF spies inside them)

In H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, I am pretty sure the Time Traveler is named Bran, as the whole story is a re-telling of the Voyage of Bran, and there is a whole subplot about the riddle of the Sphinx.  And the riddle of the Sphinx is an Oedipus reference, because Oedipus had to solve the riddle of the Sphinx or be eaten, and the Time Traveler had to solve the riddle of the Sphinx or be eaten by the Morlocks.  And Oedipus goes on to kill his father and have sex with his mother.

So the Time Traveler is Bran and he is heavily associated with Oedipus.

Petyr Baelish tries to have sex with Catelyn and he gets Eddard killed.  So if Bran is Petyr Baelish, it is all very Oedipal.  Bran tried to have sex with his own mother and he killed his own father. 

Why though?  We learned from Patchface that going into the weirwood network makes people go insane.  (Bran means "chessboard, grid" and Patchface has a chequy / chessboard pattern tattooed on his face.  Bran spent too much time in the weirwood network and lost his mind.  (In Sandkings, the White Maw / weirwood is insane also)  And Patchface mentions King Crow, and Bran means "King" and "Crow"  and under-the-sea is a metaphor for being in the weirwood network.

In Hindi patr means "father" and in Later pater means "father" and Petyr succeeded in having sex with Lysa (second best to having sex with his real mother), and I think Petyr is Sweet Robin's real father.  In Gaelic tuilidhe means "bastard" and all the Tully kids are bastards.  And Robin is a mirror image of Bran who sits on a weirwood throne on a weirwood hill with a ring of white towers and hears singers and is named after a bird. 

Interesting to note that Petyr fought Brandon and lost, and Petyr nearly died.  Bran dominated Petyr and took over his body. 

And now Petyr is trying to have sex with Sansa who is a nearer version of Catelyn than Lysa.

In Hindi patr means "father" and patthar means "stone" and "anything troublesome" and pata means "clue, information, trace" and patur means "prostitute" and patri means "a small vessel, dish, bowl"

In Gaelic:

baileach means "frugal, stingy, prosperous, careful, thrifty" and right below it bailigim / bailiughadh mean "collect, amass, accretion, a sum of money"  and builich means "administer, manage, spend"  Petyr was a tax collector who scammed the kingdom.

peata means "pet, tamed animal" and he was Catelyn's pet.

beillic means "a cavern under a large stone, large stone, tombstone"  and petra means "stone"

bealgach means "deceitful" and baoghalach means "dangerous, perilous"

beulach means "fair-spoken, flattering"

bealach means "breach in a wall, gate, gateway"

boilich means "telling lies"

Edited by By Odin's Beard

I was browsing the Latin dictionary and haedus is right below Hadrian.  And the Wall is based on Hadrian's wall.  haedus / hoedus means "little kid, goat" and Hodor is shaggy like a goat, and Bran is a little kid, and they are two people sharing one body.  And they pass through the Black Gate in the Wall, and gate means "goat".  And Hodor's real name is Walder and wealdor means "door in a wall"

I just realized that Asshai is a poisoned land under the Shadow (Planet), and the Wall is a metaphor for the Shadow (weall means "Stranger") and the land under it is the Gift, and in German gift means "poison".  Bran built the Wall and Bran's Gift is a poisoned land under the Stranger.  (and Uran means Bran, and Euron's gifts are poisoned).  Asshai is a gigantic black stone city, and Yuggoth is a gigantic black stone city/planet/spaceship that causes a endless night on Earth during the year of the Black Goat.  The castles along the Wall make up on gigantic castle and they have night-themed names like Castle Black, Shadow Tower, Nightfort, and they are crows, and they watch for the Long Night to fall.

So Westeros is a giant sea monster with a single eye facing the sky, like a giant squid's eye.  One of the squid's eyes facing up and the other faces down.  Odin's one eye was a metaphor for the sun, and his other eye was hidden in a well.  On the other side of the Earth is the Ash Eye over Asshai, the hidden Black Eye of Odin / Euron's black eye / Bran's Cauldron that brings the dead back to life and causes the Long Night.