Phrases You Hate in Books, or ideas

Fragile Bird

What do I mean? The phrase I keep seeing these days is “he had eyes the color of rain”.

What the hell are eyes the color of rain? Do I just lack imagination or am am I supposed to sigh and say, what a romantic way to say gray! Light, light gray? Zombie dead?

I’m sure there are many more, I’ll post them as I continue reading.

Recently reread Cornwell's Saxon Stories and I remembered that "turd" was the dominant insult and "hump" the dominant verb for sex/fucking/love making/ etc.  It was annoying but halfway through it became really funny because he's just a absolutely committed to the bit.

Some redundant phrases that always get the side-eye a la "surrounded on all sides":

final outcome

unexpected surprise

accidental mistake

unintended mistake

foreign import

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

“What do I hate to read?” she sneered?  It’s that word, sneered.  Hate it.  :ack:

What about other forms of to sneer?

sneer?

sneers?

sneering?

sneer-sneer-sneery, sneer-sneer-a-roo?

Not to derail, but a phrase I cannot get enough of and for which my esteem increases exponentially everytime inexperience it:

arms akimbo

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

What about other forms of to sneer?

sneer?

sneers?

sneering?

sneer-sneer-sneery, sneer-sneer-a-roo?

Not to derail, but a phrase I cannot get enough of and for which my esteem increases exponentially everytime inexperience it:

arms akimbo

"Lovely phrase." she said, her sneer akimbo.   :shocked:

"like an over ripe melon"

Read Guardians of the Flame about when I was 13-15.  I honestly can't recall if it got drastically overused or just overused.  But damn, there's watermelons, cantaloupes, honey dews, casaba.  Mix it up a little.  It's a multi fantasy racial milieu (on the elves humans dwarfs axes). 

Maybe phrenology could be a thing in that specific universe?  At least lead to less redundant writing.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:15 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Must needs

The first thing I thought of. Those two words just take me right out of the story. 

Archived