Best Fight Scenes

Mr. Chatywin et al.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Had to look that one up! Man that scene never seemed to end. Deeana Troi in a fight!

I'll go a little different. Ed Norton vs himself in Fight Club in his bosses office. 

I couldn't find the specific scene.  Did you have a link?

So many very good ones in HBO's Rome, BBC's Musketeers (2014-16), and then, my all time favorite, so many in the 1961 Charlton Heston El Cid film, particularly those shot in the Spanish castles.

Not as great as Rob Roy obviously, but the eponymous duel in the Last Duel is pretty great:

Troy has a few good scenes as well:

In particular I have always liked the storming of the beach:

In my mind that is still the best representation of an invincible half-god on the screen.

There are also a lot of fights from Gladiator that belong on this list. In particular the first fight in the Colosseum.

Apart from Jackie Chan and the guys from The Raid, I think the fight scenes from Ong-bak are also a great addition to the genre.

(the quality of the wigs inversely correlates with the quality of the fight scenes)

For something less well known, I will also refer to the filmography of Scott Adkins. Now that is a guy that can pretend how to fight. My favorite film of his is Avengement and it's a glorious B-film action romp that is much better than it has any rights to be. It also features both some very brutal fight scenes and one of the most poetic montages I have seen so far. The clip below contains some of the former with the latter:

For gunfights, I refer to John Woo's Hard-boiled

On 2/21/2022 at 4:41 AM, Heartofice said:

Jackie Chan is surely always the answer to these questions. There are so many good ones, these were just the first I could find on Youtube

Ken Lo's control of his legs is insane. it's like he's a different species from the rest of us. Though he really shows it off in the bit before this in the movie.

Anyway here's my nominee for the best:

Not sure I've ever seen a fight look so realistic; after a few minutes they're literally falling down when trying to swing since they're so tired. Pretty much fight in that version of The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers is great though. 

Also, bonus points for Christopher Lee.

Some really fine sword and sabre fighting in the 2015 Russian television series, Catherine the Great, which depicts her early years.

There is one scene in which a mounted Russian cavalry officer, does the business to a musket armed German, with his sabre -- you see the technique for doing this.  A technique that the tartars were still using at that time too, not just in the army, but in the raids into territories like Poland (where the process was just beginning among Russia, Austria and Prussia, for disappearing Poland from the global map, into their own territories).

It's one of the pluses of amazon prime, the historical / period films and series on offer from Russia and even some Central Asian countries, like Kazakhstan.  Whereas Netflix provides a great deal from Turkey, Korea and India.

This one is one of my favorites on account of the writing around it.

From the Spartacus TV series I would also add Spartacus vs. Crassus from the series finale. Such a good way of paying off something that was setup earlier in the season.

For realistic sword duels:

For some fantasy/SF fights:

Thanos vs. Tony Stark's crew in Infinity War

Neo vs Agent Smith in The Matrix

Remember some of the fight and battle sequences in Polo?  I'm thinking at the moment particularly of the wrestling, because the Turkish series, Ertugrul, has fight and battle scenes in every episode, which tend to be marred by that incessant tic interrupting the action with slow-mo, nearly stopped camera.  But the wrestling scenes aren't, and are quite splendid.  As with the Mongols, wrestling is traditional among all the Turkic groups and tribes from way back.

Neo vs Agent Smith in the subway station in The Matrix.

Luke vs Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.

Rocky vs Apollo Creed (both the 1st movie and 2nd movie, I actually think the fight at the end of the 2nd movie was better, even though the 1st film was a better film overall)

Archived