Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

Referring back to the previous Watch thread -- high school dramatics have changed a lot -- for schools with wealthy parents, anyway.  Musicals are the top choice, because they do bring in audiences, but they also cost more.  I've seen quite a few stories in the prepandemic, which high school theater, like the prom event, in well funded school districts even hire professionals to train and coach for dance numbers, fight scenes, costuming and staging, even direction.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/education/2015/05/17/For-area-high-schools-it-takes-big-bucks-to-put-on-big-productions/stories/20150514201

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/high-school-musicals-big-casts-and-big-bucks/

@Veltigar

That's bizarre. Every time anyone watches it and posts about it here, it starts a (deserved) circle jerk of praise for the movie. Also, every time any film has a duel/fight in it pretty much everyone here benchmarks it by the final duel in Rob Roy. Most recent example here was The Last Duel's final duel :P

I expect better of you young man! 

I guess I've just overlooked it. 

And be careful calling it the benchmark of dueling scenes while Mandy Patinkin still roams the Earth.

I've been watching The Righteous Gemstones after all the recommendations on here. Judy's escalating story about Dr. Charmichle about ten minutes into episode nine of the first season is so funny in such a messed up way. I had to pause and watch it again.

Finished the latest season of Ozark. I'm fully expecting Julia Garner to be a nominee for best supporting actress come awards season again. I hate the plot tricks they used with Laura Linney as Wendy. It was basically do completely irrational things to create problems and conflict for the Byrd family. I'm sort of hoping both she and Marty die in the finale.

Also watched Power of the Dog but turned it off somewhere before the halfway point or else I would have fallen asleep. There just wasn't enough going on (well nothing really) to hold my interest.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Veltigar

I guess I've just overlooked it. 

And be careful calling it the benchmark of dueling scenes while Mandy Patinkin still roams the Earth.

As someone who has seen both the Princess Bride and Rob Roy, I can say that there is no competition between the two when it comes to determining the greatest duel ;) 

In other words, watch it. I want to participate in another circle jerk of praise :p  

I have to watch Rob Roy too. I also need to see the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven, which gets tons of praise on here. 

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Also watched Power of the Dog but turned it off somewhere before the halfway point or else I would have fallen asleep. There just wasn't enough going on (well nothing really) to hold my interest.

I liked it and thought it was a beautiful film, but the praise it was getting seemed to be a little much to me. I can see people getting bored with it.

Got to watch Moonfall on the big screen. Completely bonkers plot that's a mosaic of some terribly bad-good sci-fi disaster movies. This movie does not take itself seriously and that's what's great about it. Suspend your beliefs - all of them, and enjoy. As absurd as this was, I really liked it.

Then I watched Riders of Justice. Had watched the trailer some time ago but had completely forgotten this was also a dark comedy. I was settling in to a physiological thriller and then it tacked into something else. Once I adjusted to that I lapped it up with glee. Mads Mikkelson is great as always and the supporting cast are just as good.

Finished the first season of Reacher. As pointed out by others its unexpectedly good. Though I enjoyed the first Tom Cruise movie, I always wondered why they went with One-Shot as its plot base as opposed to the first novel, The Killing Floor. From the shot selection and angles used to show Reacher in the TV series its clear that only a certain physicality could convey the introduction of the character in this particular story. Alan Ritchson is an 80% fit as Reacher for my mind and he makes up the rest with decent charisma. Love Malcom Goodwin in iZombie and was unsure how he would play his character but they got a right amount of levity, especially with Ritchson to offset some of the violent encounters. As good as Goodwin and Will Fitzgerald's characters were, I wonder if they will stay true to the books, for future seasons, where we see Reacher move on to a new town with new supporting characters.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I liked it and thought it was a beautiful film, but the praise it was getting seemed to be a little much to me. I can see people getting bored with it.

I wasn't in the right mood for it. It was more of a character piece instead of a shoot-em up Western which is more of what I was looking for. I'll see if I can stream Old Henry somewhere as I'm pretty sure that'll satisfy the western fix I'm craving.

9 hours ago, ithanos said:

As good as Goodwin and Will Fitzgerald's characters were, I wonder if they will stay true to the books, for future seasons, where we see Reacher move on to a new town with new supporting characters.

That's the impression I was under (new season, new town, new supporting cast, new bad guys) given how it ended and Reacher's talk of being a drifter.

Finally watched Dune, beautiful, and good, not great.  If it is ever re released on the big screen I'll probably watch it again.

Oy, I'm 30 minutes in to the Power of the Dog, and I feel like the whole movie has already been telegraphed.  Cumberbatch/toxic masculinity/bully, Jesse Plemmons/nice guy/weak in love with Rose/long suffering, and the son is smart and sensitive.  

I started a Battlestar Galactica (2004) rewatch recently and am just getting into season three.  I finished The Expanse and wanted to binge another sci-fi show and it's been years since I last watched BSG.

Definitely enjoying it, but it's tough not to laugh at the "and they have a plan" bit in the opening credits knowing where this show goes.  Hell, even during the show it never seems like the Cylons have anything remotely resembling a plan outside of "kill all humans."  And later in the show when they ditch that, their motivations become a total mess.

I'm on episode 5 of Season 3 Narcos: Mexico. I love this series. I'm thoroughly fascinated with the evolution of the Colombian and Mexican cartels and how each one is inextricably linked to each other going back decades to Escobar. Almost every episode, I'm googling to find out the real life story of one cartel boss or hitman just to see what's been fictionalized and what hasn't. And that's sometimes been somewhat frustrating --- almost all of Narcos includes major events that occurred in real life and that have a wikipedia page. But every once in awhile, I'll find discrepancies, or just a complete lack of information and it leaves me thirsty to know the truth. I wish I had the non-fiction book version of Narcos the way I have for The Wire and Gomorrah. But in reality, I suspect it would be tough to satisfy my desire to know every action and motivation because most of those people or witnesses are dead or would never tell anyone what they know to begin with.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:29 AM, Veltigar said:

As someone who has seen both the Princess Bride and Rob Roy, I can say that there is no competition between the two when it comes to determining the greatest duel ;) 

In other words, watch it. I want to participate in another circle jerk of praise :p  

Fine you bully. If I don't watch it tonight I'll check it out over the next three days given I have tomorrow off. 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fine you bully. If I don't watch it tonight I'll check it out over the next three days given I have tomorrow off. 

Nice, if this week has thought us anything, it is that bullies always get their way B)

On 2/22/2022 at 12:11 PM, ithanos said:

Then I watched Riders of Justice. Had watched the trailer some time ago but had completely forgotten this was also a dark comedy. I was settling in to a physiological thriller and then it tacked into something else. Once I adjusted to that I lapped it up with glee. Mads Mikkelson is great as always and the supporting cast are just as good.

Love it. I'll definitely be putting this one forward for Best Christmas Movie next time that debate breaks out.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:09 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Power of the Dog is massively overpraised imo. It's this year's Nomadland in the sense that it is a film that looks beautiful, is build around a central gimmick (Cumberbun's performance being so real that he gave himself nicotine poisoning twice!! OMG what an achievement) and is ultimately not very compelling.

Spoiler

I remember writing that from the beginning it felt a lot like the origin story of a serial killer so the "plot twist" in the end is utterly predictable.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:09 AM, Ramsay B. said:

I have to watch Rob Roy too. I also need to see the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven, which gets tons of praise on here. 

I watched the director's cut once and I have got to say that I wasn't a fan. It fixes a few minor plotholes, but in general I feel like most of what it added wasn't really a big improvement. I'm a heretic, i know.

Other than the business and those who are in it, does anybody give a damn about the Oscars / AA?  Just curious, because I never have felt any interest in nominees or winners, except on the rare occasion that someone we know is involved. 

However! I do confess to having gotten interested in the Red Carpet -- i.e. what the people are wearing.  Not enough to watch it on screen, but to scroll through the photos posted the next day.  All part of having developed a sort of -- hobby? procrastination? derailing distraction? -- in preposterous clothes as high fashion and design.  :P

For many years, many many years, I watched the Oscars from start to finish, including the red carpet pre shows.  Sometimes I watched with friends, but not always.  I think it used to be much more of a 'thing' and event, where you might  have a watch party or if not you'd text with your friends about clothes and winners.  I think it is still true, though maybe not as true in the past, that winning Oscars helped the film $$, some were even rereleased in theaters, but it helped with DVD sales and with online rentals to be a Academy Award winning film.  Maybe not so much anymore given the current market and multiple platforms.

The audience figures show that a lot fewer people care about them than in previous decades. Of course there are many theories on why...twitter/instagram celeb culture, streaming, boomers, dichotomy between 'popular' and nominated films, bad awards show, politics.  The list goes on.

I expect that the awards may go to streaming only during my lifetime, but probably not for at least another 15 years.

For a few years I watched but channel surfed at slow parts, I basically stopped watching the AA at all about 4 or so years ago, the show is not that good, the changes they made, such as cutting out the clip segments and now not even showing clips of the nominees at all, made it less interesting.  I also am much less interested in films in general, which according to me have taken a huge dive in quality over the last 10 years.

Archived