Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

Just binged Nine Perfect Strangers on Prime. Actually quite liked the whole thing - premise, performance and conclusion. Luke Evans isn't in enough things. Nicole Kidman is in too many things.

Watching Pam & Tommy, its a lot more fun than I expected.. actually I didn't know what to expect. I almost though, why are they making a show about something as vacuous and silly as a sex tape? 

But it doesn't take itself very seriously, there is a scene in the second episode which is definitely a Seth Rogan idea. 

Sebastian Stan is really brilliant as Tommy Lee, and brave enough to wear a thong for most of it! I thought Lily James is basically unrecognisable as Pamela Anderson, but she is also fantastic, its probably a bit of an extreme pastiche of a performance but that is very much in keeping with the show itself. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:29 PM, Isis said:

Finished my fourth Lost rewatch. For some reason I have not really gone down the rabbit hole of wanting to read a bunch of theories and explanations about the final season before (I guess I must have done on this board when it first aired?). So please hit me with any good sources on that.

Hide contents

WARNING SPOILERS FOR A SHOW THAT ENDED IN 2010 BELOW. 

Sorry, but I cannot get the spoiler text to work here, please PM me or whatever (or edit, if you're a mod/admin).

[spoiler]

Help me out here...Ok so, Jack dies on the island and all the stuff with him back in LA, having a son* etc is not real? So it's just in his head? But also in the head of everyone else? Presumably the previous flash forward stuff where he went back, got engaged to Kate etc WAS real? Because the concurrent flash back stuff (i.e. Sawyer and Juliet living together in the 1970's) was obviously real as well. So the Oceanic Six did get rescued, get off the island (really really) and then go back again. But then we they went back again, Jack died to save the island, Hurley and Ben hang out on the island still, but everyone else escapes on the plane (including Richard! - will he ever age or just not bother?).

But hang on, why was Desmond the one to gather everyone? Was he just more enlightened than everyone else?

Then, Jack has his afterlife reunion with all his island buddies - but only once they are all actually dead as well? Soooooo, they just kinda didn't really exist for a while until all of them were dead and could be reunited again? Is that right?

*played by that dude from 13 Reasons Why [/spoiler]

Spoiler

I think the season 6 "flashsideways" / AU stuff was what was happening in their heads after death and before they all reunited in the church. Like a spiritual journey or something where they explore alternative versions of their lives and find out what really matters to them, before they pass on to whatever? 

And I guess time may not have a meaning in the afterlife. Like when you're dreaming. They are not constrained by time.

Yes, everything in seasons 1-5 really happened, same with the island stuff in season 6.

I don't really remember what happened with Richard. I just remember Sawyer, Kate and Claire getting off the island with Frank, right? I also don't remember what happened with Miles.

I know Walt was still supposed to be the island's future protector or something, but this was only addressed in a separate short video released afterwards, not the show itself.

57 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:
Spoiler

I don't really remember what happened with Richard. I just remember Sawyer, Kate and Claire getting off the island with Frank, right? I also don't remember what happened with Miles.

Spoiler

Richard and Miles found Frank when he was adrift after the sub sank and helped him repair the plane.  Miles warned Kate and Sawyer (via Ben) to get over to Hyrda Island because the plane was taking off ASAP -- and Richard even tried to convince Claire to come with them (before Kate successfully did so).

So, just like the "Oceanic 6," there were six people that got off the island on the Ajira plane - Frank, Miles, Richard, Kate, Claire, and Sawyer.

Further evidence that netflix is the worst:

‘Archive 81’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

The cancellation is somewhat surprising because Archive 81 did break into Nielsen and Netflix’s weekly Top 10 ratings for originals, and it also briefly shot to No. 1 on Netflix in the U.S. before being dethroned by the return of Ozark. With the streamer laser-focused on analyzing viewing versus cost in its renewal decisions, the number of eyeballs Archive 81 drew possibly did not meet the threshold Netflix had set for the series based on its budget.

I'm not too broken up about it, but the pattern here is really annoying. If I were making a show I would not want it to be a "netflix original."

15 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Starting on Atlanta, season 3.  That opening scene is really good....

Edit to add:  ok, now I know what Donald Glover meant about making it a Black fairytale.  Like, Brothers Grimm.

Holy shit that first episode was something else. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

There was a time when HBO could do no wrong. Now it seems they can do no right. 

Euphoria, succession, Righteous Gemstones would argue with you. Station 11, The GIlded age and Peacemaker would also like a word.  They might not have a Deadwood or The Wire right now but they do have a depth of shows.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Euphoria, succession, Righteous Gemstones would argue with you. Station 11, The GIlded age and Peacemaker would also like a word.  They might not have a Deadwood or The Wire right now but they do have a depth of shows.

I'm not saying they dont make good tv. But they don't make great TV.

At one time they made the wire, sopranos, deadwood, rome and 6 feet under. 

On 3/22/2022 at 4:40 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Seriously , she's the only reason I started watching Bridgerton. Now I'm hooked on this lame soap opera. Will Daphne marry the Duke of Hastings? His father was so mean to him! Don't tell me you bastards!!!

That's like, so last season :P 

I actually started season 2 today, enjoyed the first episode.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Now I'm watching Derry Girls clips on youtube. I'm going down the Nicola Coughlan rabbit hole. Oh, good! it's available for streaming on Canadian Netflix. Two seasons. Pray for me. 

I can only echo your praise for both Nicola Coughlan and Derry Girls. Special mention to Saoirse-Monica Jackson (Erin) and her very expressive eyebrows.

I identify very strongly with Sister Michael 

31 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not saying they dont make good tv. But they don't make great TV.

At one time they made the wire, sopranos, deadwood, rome and 6 feet under. 

Literally half my top 10 right there.

I consider both The Leftovers and Chernobyl in the great category, but nothing will ever match their golden age of the 00’s. 

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I can only echo your praise for both Nicola Coughlan and Derry Girls. Special mention to Saoirse-Monica Jackson (Erin) and her very expressive eyebrows.

Jim Carrey wishes his face was half as expressive. 

52 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Literally half my top 10 right there.

I consider both The Leftovers and Chernobyl in the great category, but nothing will ever match their golden age of the 00’s. 

Yeah some of the mentions already make it clear they have not stopped making great tv. 

It’s not like AMC, who have much spottier track record (fuck you walking dead)

Barry is great tv. So is our flag means death. 

They haven't quite found that crazy appointment tv, but the other point would be not a whole lot of other places have either. The closest critical success to any of the above by anyone else is breaking bad. 

Just now, Kalibuster said:

They haven't quite found that crazy appointment tv...

They're only three years removed from Game of Thrones, which was quite possibly the biggest appointment TV series of all time.

Yeah, the last couple of seasons were trash, but I'm not sure we'll ever have another show like it where literally everyone was talking about it on Mondays.

Archived