Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

I thought he did a great job in the movie.

I think it's pretty telling that the most common descriptor of the film is "after school special." It's entirely forgettable as is the performance.  

I'm also not a big fan of rewarding a film that exists to white wash a person's story. Richard Williams is universally viewed as a complete asshole. The Williams sisters controlled the entire story and went out of their way to make their father seem like a better guy. What's next, Tiger making a movie about the great and kind and totally not abusive Earl Woods? 

Has anyone actually discussed the oscar winners? 

I have only seen 2 of the nominated movies. Dune and Don't look Up, and I can say with great confidence that Coda, a movie I had literally never heard of, is probably better and deserved to win ( and I quite liked Dune)

Mitchells vs Machines should have won best animated though, even if it had no chance of doing that against Disney.

I didn't watch the Oscars but read the winners list afterwards. Meh. I'm glad that Dune at least dominated the technical awards and Zimmer got it for the soundtrack. Apparently, since most of Dune's wins were revealed in the preshow, a lot of people are complaining on social media about ABCs and the Academy's decision to cut down the ceremony time.

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Bridgerton is improving solidly from episode 5 on. Still not finished it though but now I’m actually invested in storylines. 

That two of the principals in this romantic triangle are loving sisters is what has me invested.  Despite all the froth that the show centers, from gowns (o ghosh those worn by the sisters are gorgeous) to the wigs even more insane than those at the historic courts of 18th Century France, this unforeseen, unwanted, dishonorable and extremely painful situation provides a lot of nuance for the characters, while leaving the namby pamby viewer like me ultimately comfortably certain this will all work out well for them all -- because, you know, ultimately froth.  Thank goodness!

6 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Then there's this:

Apparently Chris Rock has declined to file a police report. WTF? What fucking police report? The whole thing was recorded in broadcast quality 4k high def on multiple studio cameras. 

2 hours ago, IFR said:

Did a wormhole open up and this board suddenly get populated by people from the 1950's?

Yeah, well, when it's the commies kicking your door in, you'll be happy of your slap-happy spouse by god.

2 hours ago, IFR said:

It's just a little slap? And what - it's a man's job to defend his family? That's such a retrograde attitude to have. Physical violence is not an acceptable response to a bald joke, but if Jada wanted to engage, she could have gone up herself. Will should not have taken her offense as cue to perform violence on her behalf.

And there were even worse jokes about them earlier. Regina Hall made a tasteless joke about their open marriage and Will Smith didn't get up and slap her.

That seems like it would be worse to me. If you watch the red table conversation between the Smiths, Will is seriously broken up and crying while Jada goes on like an unremorseful sociopath about how she preyed on their son's teenage friend for sexual satisfaction and opened up their marriage.

But it turns out bald jokes about her is where the line lies. No anticipating that. Roasts always inhabit that area where there's some uncertainty of if the joke has gone too far. And I'm sure a lot of feelings are hurt. Will Smith doesn't get a pass because he's defending his wife's honor or whatever machismo nonsense.

Assault is not something to be celebrated or dismissed here.

No offense, but you might be over thinking this a little. 

This will probably get lost in the slap discussion (BTW fuck Will Smith and his sexist machismo bullshit, his movies have been garbage for a decade), but I watched The Green Knight last night and absolutely loved it.  Weird, cinematic fantasy that really leveraged the medium to tell more than just the script.  Can definitely see why others wouldn't like it, but it really hit all the right notes for me.  Gonna give it a second viewing this week w/ my wife once we finish S5 of The Last Kingdom.

CODA is one of the two nominated films I hadn't seen (the other was Belfast), but I admit the descriptions of it I've heard make it sound like something I'd normally not watch. I'll get around to it eventually.

Not surprised The Power of the Dog got only the one award despite so many nominations. It was impressive but left me cold.

Really pleased with Drive My Car winning, just because I thought it was truly excellent, but I admit I've not yet seen any of its competition (The Worst Person in the World, in particular, sounds really good).

Not surprised by Dune getting deserved technical awards and score, but otherwise blanking in other areas.

Neither of the Best Actor nor Best Actress winners were my own picks. I'd have given it to Garfield, Washington, or Cumberbatch over Smith, and Cruz, Colman, or Stewart over Chastain.

Recently saw West Side Story and thought Ariana DeBose was fantastic in it, so her win was great. 

Have wanted to watch Summer of Soul for awhile, and all the more reason to. That said, Flee sounds really interesting.

I saw all five of the short animated nominees, and The Windshield Wiper was the one that I liked best aesthetically, but as those who've been in the Love, Death, + Robots know I've been enamored with Alberto Mielgo's work since "The Witness", especially when learning that he was the creative mind who developed Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse's signature style in pre-production. Robin, Robin was very minor Aardman. 

Damn, I go away for one week and all of a sudden this thread adds 7 pages? And then people say that Will Smith's star power has diminished. He definitely scored a hit :P

I have watched the first episode of Halo the other day. Not really impressed at the moment. It looks generic and I fear they will end up making the show less interesting than the game's lore. I'll give it a few more episodes however, as I'm willing to cut it some slack. 

Caught up on season 6 of Peaky Blinders. Overall I'd say this is a return to form for the show, although it still isn't as good as the first two seasons. I was more enthusiastic in the beginning, but now that there is only one episode left I wonder how they'll be able to wrap up everything in a satisfying way.

Also watched two episodes of the last season of The Last Kingdom. So far it is horrible. It's been a long while since I saw a show that used to be great fall so deep. People always used to compare it to Vikings and unfortunately the downward trajectory that this show seems to be on makes that case very convincing now.

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That two of the principals in this romantic triangle are loving sisters is what has me invested.  Despite all the froth that the show centers, from gowns (o ghosh those worn by the sisters are gorgeous) to the wigs even more insane than those at the historic courts of 18th Century France, this unforeseen, unwanted, dishonorable and extremely painful situation provides a lot of nuance for the characters, while leaving the namby pamby viewer like me ultimately comfortably certain this will all work out well for them all -- because, you know, ultimately froth.  Thank goodness!

Spoiler

I finished episode 6 during my lunch break - the wonders of working from home - and I’ve got to say, I’m really looking forward to some character growth. Because it’s very clear at this point that Edwina is the better person and superior character from the three. It’d be very nice to see how the other two learn from their mistakes and mature into the roles they have taken upon themselves. 

12 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Also watched two episodes of the last season of The Last Kingdom. So far it is horrible.

:dunno:  And yet, you rate The Last of the Mohicans, a dreadful piece of Hollywood, a very good film!  :cheers: 

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

:dunno:  And yet, you rate The Last of the Mohicans, a dreadful piece of Hollywood, a very good film!  :cheers: 

The last jedi and the last starfighter were better imo

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Because it is a very good film.

And The Last Kingdom absolutely dropped off in the final couple seasons. I still enjoyed it overall, but I don’t see how anyone could argue otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

The last jedi and the last starfighter were better imo

Eh, I'll grant you The Last Starfighter, but The Last of the Mohicans is undoubtedly better than 70% of The Last Jedi.

But of course, The Last Picture Show is the greatest film in the canon of The Last.... films.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Eh, I'll grant you The Last Starfighter, but The Last of the Mohicans is undoubtedly better than 70% of The Last Jedi.

But of course, The Last Picture Show is the greatest film in the canon of The Last.... films.

Last Samurai wins.

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Because it is a very good film.

And The Last Kingdom absolutely dropped off in the final couple seasons. I still enjoyed it overall, but I don’t see how anyone could argue otherwise. 

S4 was boring as shit, but I think because of that it brought a lot more weight to some of the things that happened in S5.  I still think they could have paced it out better, but S5 has been very entertaining for us.  Probably the best since S2, though we still have a few episodes left.

Archived