Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

6 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

@Kalibuster You’re assuming Rock knew about her condition. I certainly didn’t. 

I don't fucking really care, honestly. I'm talking about whether or not it's okay to make fun of people for medical issues.

Is it?

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

I guess you guys have never been to, or laughed at, a roast? 

Look man, you know I love you, will until the day I die, and you're one of the more sensitive souls who actually gives a shit about people that I've had the pleasure, and honor, to call friend. Got to say though, this refusal to look into the cultural and class aspect of how this played out kind of surprises me a little.

No judgment of course, and sorry if you feel dogpiled.

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Twitter is horrible over this coz there's a disturbing amount of people (pretty much all of them so far as I can see white) who have either used this to unfurl their apparently long-held-back feelings that Will Smith is a disgusting arrogant horrible man who should be cancelled to the ends of the earth, or decided that because he slapped a dude insulting his wife he must also be a domestic abuser. 
But yes, there are cultural conversations that we white people just aren't privy to here.

Lets not forget the time he threatened to slap Andy Warhol. Clearly he must be stopped. 

Is the pandemic over? Everybody happy in Ukraine? That's fine. 

I'm not condoning what Smith did. I compare it to the outrage over Janet Jackson's nipple at the Super Bowl. Inappropriate? Yeah. Wrong? Sure. But if your excitement is still there after the sun's come up; that's on you. 

Just now, Larry of the Lake said:

Yeah, but that's an event where insulting a specific person or two is the entire purpose.

As well as members of the dais - all of which are paid.  Granted, there are examples of famous people in the crowd being ridiculed too.  I recall someone making a joke about Carrie Fisher's drug problems when she was in the crowd.  And she literally responded by saying it was in bad taste.

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Look man, you know I love you, will until the day I die, and you're one of the more sensitive souls who actually gives a shit about people that I've had the pleasure, and honor, to call friend. Got to say though, this refusal to look into the cultural and class aspect of how this played out kind of surprises me a little.

No judgment of course, and sorry if you feel dogpiled.

Cheers bro. Feelings are mutual, as you know.

Im fine, certain people here just look for reasons to try and have a poke. It has long since stopped bothering me.

My tldr - i'm honestly surprised at the response to what Rock said, and the defense of Smith. But as someone just mentioned this little nothing burger isnt worth the time. 

9 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

I don't fucking really care, honestly. I'm talking about whether or not it's okay to make fun of people for medical issues.

Is it?

No, it isn’t. 

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's quite literally his job to know.

We’re talking about Chris Rock, right? Why is it his job to know?

2 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

Part of a comedian's role is to know what they're making jokes about. Since he's getting paid for it... it's his job.

It's not as if it'd have required deep research to know why Jada Pinkett-Smith has no hair.

Just now, Quijote Light said:

No, it isn’t. 

Because he's the host of the Oscars and that was literally his job? 

And maybe just maybe when your job entails making fun of people you might put in just the barest effort to not be a colossal douchecanoe?

Well, for starters Chris Rock didnt host the Oscars, he was a guest presenter. And the hosts themselves are paid peanuts, so a guest presenter is probably paid ...whatever is smaller than peanuts. I doubt the people who do short bits do an enormous amount of research, maybe 5 minutes where they try out bits in front of someone else.

I'm willing to grant the joke was somewhat tasteless (albeit prefaced with "Love you Jada", so whatever), but it was hardly something to get violent over. Best route would have been for Smith to say something back rather than lose his sh*t. I also think the joke wasnt as much about his wife or making fun of his wife, but understand others can perceive it differently.

PS - I should note I am a fan of Chris Rock and he is a pretty measured and serious individual in real life from what I gather, so I doubt there was real malice in his joke.

People are taking this way too seriously. The joke was in poor taste, but it's far from the end of the world. Likewise Smith shouldn't have gone up and smacked the shit out of Rock. That said since we can play the results and nobody was hurt outside of their prides....it was visually hilarious. 

31 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not condoning what Smith did. I compare it to the outrage over Janet Jackson's nipple at the Super Bowl. Inappropriate? yeah. Wrong? Sure. But if your excitement over this is still there after the sun's come up; that's on you. 

Lost in all the commotion was Venus' nip slip. Last night had it all.

48 minutes ago, Relic said:

Being shamed is one thing, being roasted by a comedian is another. The fact that we're getting so fucking sensitive that we are confusing and two is a worrying trend. 

ok? so can you be shamed in a comedy setting or that is impossible?
what if in a roast  someone makes a joke about a woman being "slutty" or "easy" is that not shameing cuz its a roast?
so wierd...

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Bitch slapping a comedian for making a joke about your wife is kinda lame but not near as lame as people clamoring for Smith to face charges. Thankfully It seems Rock doesn’t care as much as the outraged internet and declined to press any. 

The single dumbest thing Rock could do is press charges. Shit, if anything he can profit off of this moment like hell. 

4 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

ok? so can you be shamed in a comedy setting or that is impossible?
what if in a roast  someone makes a joke about a woman being "slutty" or "easy" is that not shameing cuz its a roast?
so wierd...

There are boundaries, of course, so i won't speak to your specific examples. Hypothetically, however, in the setting of a roast it is...another horrible, offensive, joke. Which shouldn't be taken personally. Watch the Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen if you want to get an idea as to what can be said, and accepted, during a roast. 

42 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Lets not forget the time he threatened to slap Andy Warhol. Clearly he must be stopped. 

Is the pandemic over? Everybody happy in Ukraine? That's fine. 

I'm not condoning what Smith did. I compare it to the outrage over Janet Jackson's nipple at the Super Bowl. Inappropriate? Yeah. Wrong? Sure. But if your excitement is still there after the sun's come up; that's on you. 

if you are white

Archived