Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Finished Spencer this evening and i thought it was fantastic. Definitely looked like an Oscar-worthy performance from here. 

Interesting. I thought it was mediocre, leaning toward bad and I saw nothing very special about Stewart's performance.  If they were going to go surreal fable, they should have leaned into it a lot more, or made it a standard biopic with a few 'dreamy' elements.  As it was, the viewer really has no clue what's real or not real.  

Twitter has been talking about nothing else, as you'd expect. Most are condemning Smith but some are defending him and saying he was standing up for his wife.

Personally I think it's a problem with society that a man feels he needs to react so brutally to defend his wife from a joke, however tasteless that joke may be (still don't think Rock was targeting her Alopecia though, doubt he knew about it). It's this idea society puts in a lot of men's heads that they need to behave that way. I know it's a cliché to say this but I guess you'd call it toxic masculinity, and I think it gets reinforced when people on Twitter say stuff like "he's standing up for his wife like a man should".

There were decent ways for Smith to handle that and to lose control of himself like that is not admirable or excusable IMO.

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Has anyone considered that this might be about more than just that joke? This isn't the first time Chris Rock has made a crack at the Smith's expense. The "Keep my wife's name out..." proclamations suggest that.  Again, not defending. 

It's well known that Smith has been the butt of many jokes regarding his marriage for years. This was far from a one off thing.

Minx Episode 3 & 4

The first issue of the magazine has been published. The broader narrative is developing. Some genuinely funny stuff. I'm interested enough to keep watching.

And, contrary to some speculation on this thread, they haven't eased up on the cocks too much. Well, sort of. They're being careful not to overload us, dear viewer.

Episode 3 was basically cock free. So was episode 4. They primed us a bit with a phallus here and there. And then, WHAM:

Spoiler

Out of nowhere: a shower scene. half a dozen soapy, wet, naked firefighters, people. A goddamn sausage festival. 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Interesting. I thought it was mediocre, leaning toward bad and I saw nothing very special about Stewart's performance.  If they were going to go surreal fable, they should have leaned into it a lot more, or made it a standard biopic with a few 'dreamy' elements.  As it was, the viewer really has no clue what's real or not real.  

I thought she was great. :dunno:

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, I don't really see how this contradicts the people applauding Smith for defending his wife.  

Defending his wife? This is how we roll nowadays?

Now, I'm not Will Smith. Thank fuck for that. But if I was, how would I have reacted? Well, perhaps once I'd stopped laughing and clapping and noticed how upset my wife was, I like to think I would have quietly comforted her, told her that Chris didn't mean nothing by it, and assured her that I'd deal with it. Then, at my acceptance speech, I might have called Rock out for the joke, and made it clear that mocking people with medical and/or genetic conditions is not okay. Then, backstage, out of sight of the world's media, if the missus really insisted upon it, I'd have chinned the wanker.

However, as I said, I'm not Will Smith. And once again, thank fuck for that. Because, when it comes to defending your wife, it seems that the Will Smith Way Of Doing Things (tm) is to pretend to get angry and physically assault a colleague on live TV, before returning to your seat as if nothing had happened, whilst in the process placing your wife at the centre of the second biggest news story on the planet. And then blubbing about it.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Defending his wife? This is how we roll nowadays?

I was just pointing out that Smith initially laughing at the joke doesn't really contradict their argument.  That's all.

a few things Im watching recently

watching some episodes of Naruto Season 1 on Netflix

Courage Mountain for DVD

rewatching old Halloween before watching Halloween 2018 and Halloween Kills the rest of this week or the weekend

watching the old Transformers cartoon for DVD. watching the show for the first time since i was more into the GI Joe cartoon back then anyway. I also have Transformers the Movie to watch after Season 2

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it's pretty telling that the most common descriptor of the film is "after school special." It's entirely forgettable as is the performance.  

I'm also not a big fan of rewarding a film that exists to white wash a person's story. Richard Williams is universally viewed as a complete asshole. The Williams sisters controlled the entire story and went out of their way to make their father seem like a better guy. What's next, Tiger making a movie about the great and kind and totally not abusive Earl Woods? 

Did you even watch the movie or do you just like making comments? He is portrayed as a total ass to everyone in his life in the movie. His wife almost leaves him, his kids love him but from a distance, his business partner can't stand him. 

I watched The Batman. Decent movie but I found the climax very un-climactic. I mentally stepped out of the movie during that scene thinking, “is this it?” I was thoroughly engaged prior though and I did like the detective angle they tried to play up relative to the preceding franchises.

Spoiler

There were a few scenes that appeared to pay over the top homage to previous DCEU movies. While I liked the Paul Dano prison scene, it was too close to the Joker scene from the Dark Knight where the criminal mastermind allows himself to be jailed as a part of his plan (Bane does this too in the opening scene of Dark Knight Rises too). Also the Riddler killing the mayor and commissioner is a retread of the Dark Knight again. Him not figuring out Bruce was Batman was the worst part. He was brilliant enough for uncovering the major criminal conspiracies of Gotham but he didn’t figure out Batman’s identity despite being obsessed with both Bruce and Batman? The writers should have kept it secret with the Riddler not revealing it because it’ could be a riddle itself that he himself can’t acknowledge until someone else does. The Joker felt too much like the Leto one but I’ll hold judgement there as I was skeptical of Ledger prior to the Dark Knight. 

Archived