Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's pretty shocking, but what it really shows to me is that Will Smiths family life is pretty tempestuous, and that his emotional state has not always been the calm and together image he likes to project. This didn't really surprise me all that much tbh.

It was a really bad joke though, I don't see why Rock made it, I don't know how close him and Smith are, if there is any history there that we aren't seeing. 

He made a joke in the past along the lines of 'JPS is boycotting the Oscars, its like me boycotting Rhianna, neither of is were invited anyway'.  Which is a lot funnier. 

Re his emotional state, he looked properly unhinged. There is clearly other stuff behind this. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

He made a joke in the past along the lines of 'JPS is boycotting the Oscars, its like me boycotting Rhianna, neither of is were invited anyway'.  Which is a lot funnier. 

Yeah I mean there is a wealth of material about her 'career' to draw on, no idea why you would bother to talk about her appearance. 

Also 'Its a GI Jane joke!' says it all.. how many people are even aware of that movie in 2022! Did anyone actually even watch it?

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

He kind of did. That deliberate walk while Rock is hanging forward to hear what he has to say, clearly expecting Smith to share an opinion, then bringing his arm up as he did was so he could give him no warning. 

My point is it wasn't a punch. In my eyes there's a biiiiiiiiig difference between a slap and a punch, because sucker punches kill people. You can argue there's not much difference but to me it does matter that there was very little chance of Smith actually hurting him with that.

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Pretty much lol

Then there's this:

--- 

I shouldn't minimize it, I mean, I did get a text from my 12 yo asking if I saw it and she wanted to discuss. Thanks, TikTok.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Saw yesterday that Smith has ?directed a flipping Fresh Prince remake. KERCHING, huh?

It's on Peacock and from the people I know who have watched it, they were hooked on it from the get go. It's a drama, not comedy, character names and situation the same but that's it. I plan to watch it after the last episode drops for the season.

The only thing I find really odd about this Smith v Rock thing is that supposedly Smith was there for rehearsal the day before so he knew what was coming, read that in an article, don't know for a fact it's accurate.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The only thing I find really odd about this Smith v Rock thing is that supposedly Smith was there for rehearsal the day before so he knew what was coming, read that in an article, don't know for a fact it's accurate.

He laughed at the joke.. until he saw JPS's reaction. I'm guessing she wasn't there for the rehearsal. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Basically, what it comes down to for me is he is not a robot. Sometimes we lose our shit. 

Smith didn't lose shit. If he had, Chris Rock would have ended up on the floor.

If he'd been that upset it would have been a right hook, not a weak-ass slappy slap. And he only got out of his seat 'cos his wife caught him laughing and clapping at the joke and gave him the side eye.

Seen this shit a million times. If Rock had fronted up, Smith would have shit himself like the cossetted prick he's been for the past thirty years.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Pretty much lol

Then there's this:

--- 

I shouldn't minimize it, I mean, I did get a text from my 12 yo asking if I saw it and she wanted to discuss. Thanks, TikTok.

The decision to prosecute in a criminal case is not held by the victim.  It never is.  Criminal cases are always and exclusively prosecuted by the State.  Hence the reason the State will sometimes move forward against an abusive spouse even when the abused spouse doesn’t want prosecution to go forward.

FYI.

Did a wormhole open up and this board suddenly get populated by people from the 1950's?

It's just a little slap? And what - it's a man's job to defend his family? That's such a retrograde attitude to have. Physical violence is not an acceptable response to a bald joke, but if Jada wanted to engage, she could have gone up herself. Will should not have taken her offense as cue to perform violence on her behalf.

And there were even worse jokes about them earlier. Regina Hall made a tasteless joke about their open marriage and Will Smith didn't get up and slap her.

That seems like it would be worse to me. If you watch the red table conversation between the Smiths, Will is seriously broken up and crying while Jada goes on like an unremorseful sociopath about how she preyed on their son's teenage friend for sexual satisfaction and opened up their marriage.

But it turns out bald jokes about her is where the line lies. No anticipating that. Roasts always inhabit that area where there's some uncertainty of if the joke has gone too far. And I'm sure a lot of feelings are hurt. Will Smith doesn't get a pass because he's defending his wife's honor or whatever machismo nonsense.

Assault is not something to be celebrated or dismissed here.

Archived