Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

jfc did people really freak out about the first iphones like this?

You bet your ass, young'un

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I decided to watch this as well. Would not compare it to The Big Short or Wall Street at all. Definitely a grade below, though Irons is great as always. 

50 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Well subject manner wise was where the comparison is meant, at least for the Big Short.  Pretty sure that's supposed to represent the months around the fall of Lehman Bros.

Not sure why I'm drawn to "street crash" flix currently, other than the Fed is beginning rate hikes so a new one maybe on the horizon if were unlucky.

More Goldman Sachs. Lehman failed. Goldman was able to make a massive pivot before it all crashed; much like what is shown in the film. Jeremy Irons character is fascinating. He's the only one who understands the big picture. He can't do calculus but he can tell you about every financial panic going back to the beginning of capitalism. 

I watched it at the Downer theater in Milwaukee when it came out. The memory sticks out for some reason. I've seen it a few times since and its only gotten better.

I love the big short. That's one that I'd actually recommend watching the film before reading the book. It's interesting how it was adapted. I'm pretty sure the whole extended sequence where they go to florid was literally one or two sentences in the book.

Also the book is actually a lot crazier than the film if you believe it. 

2 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Young? I've been around since EZ Board!  

No one in that video was screaming like in that clip from the Dropout.

The NYC video shows people clapping and almost certainly cheering stuff but the voice over was put over so you can't hear anything. This one probably captures the atmosphere better.

I went away for work last week and on the train there I watched The Puppet Master: Hunting the Ultimate Conman which is a three part British doc on Netflix. I found it riveting. Great design/narrative structure with some jaw-dropping moments. The way the different time periods were threaded together was well done. Would highly recommend if you enjoy watching psychopaths at work. The fact that there was no social media/mobile phone use during the earlier storyline but there is in the later timeline - yet it still happens... makes you realise that people can still be taken in even now and knowledge is no bar to being used by others.

I segued straight into The Serpent after that. Some obvious commonalities with The Puppet Master. I liked this so much I am re-watching this weekend with my husband. Fascinating how not just one person can be sub-humanly awful, but also that person can persuade others to behave the same way. Does that make all of them psychopaths? Or just the cult-leader? This is brilliant television - it fully sucks you in and makes you interested in both the good and the bad characters.

I watched Inventing Anna. It was okay. Not great, but slightly better than mediocre and had some strengths. It was pretty much character and acting that carried the show. Julia Garner was stunning and the series did a decent job exploring and building the characters of Vivian and Todd too. Their arches and character stories didn’t really get closure, but the build up was solid. The show also did a great job at creating awkward tension in the critical situations. My main issue was that, to quote the show itself, it didn’t find the story. The wasn’t really a message, a closure, a junction of all the topics explored. They just remained spread out, sprinkled over the plot without ever being tied together or lifted up as a parting thought or conclusion.  But it was overall quite dynamic yet still deeper than your average Netflix production. 

Watched Mission Impossible: Fallout for the first time. One of the more solid film franchises these days, with a great grasp of its characters. McQuarrie knows how to keep the movie moving, there's hardly a wasted moment, and the stunt work is of course impeccable. Not a deep film, by any means, but it knows what its goals are, sets out to achieve them, and does so in a very polished way. 

Finished Upload season 2, or however many episodes that was. I was too harsh on it based on that first episode, it became a lot more fun as it went on. It’s a show I shouldn’t like, as it just seems so lightweight, but it does have charm and it’s leads are good

DMZ on HBO.

Interesting premise that's somewhat flawed in its execution. I'm not familiar with the comic.

The first episode was great. My biggest complaint overall is that the story moves way too fast.

Spoiler

Rosario Dawson literally shows up in the DMZ and is running the place inside of 1 week. 

There's very little depth and the world seems underdeveloped because the pacing is just crazy. The first season should have been 6-10 episodes and finished on the cliffhanger at the end of episode 3. The season 2 finale could have been episode 4.

If it was handled right it could have been a really interesting and timely social commentary and it just isn't. It's a shame. 

The comic ran 72 issues over six years, and had a ton of world-building as it developed its narrative. Trying to boil that down into a 4 hour series was just crazy, and in fact I didn't realize it was just four episodes -- I was already dubious by how little of the actual story of the comic remained, but that they then cut it that far down in run time...

I watched season 4 of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel which was really enjoyable. I have to say it's weird how unfunny all the stand up is though on an otherwise really funny show about a stand up comedian. It has to be on purpose at this stage, right?

Pretty much the funniest moment from an act so far in the entire series was

Spoiler

Midge making Jackie Kennedy cry.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:05 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Minx on HBO.

Interesting period piece. Very well done. Very, very funny. Alooooooot of cock. Quantity and variety. More cock than I've ever seen on the Tee Vee. And that's just the first episode. 

And it takes place in the 1970's, so no manscaping. 

Have you see Oz? That was a show with lots of cocks. So many scenes of full frontal nudity.

16 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Have you see Oz? That was a show with lots of cocks. So many scenes of full frontal nudity.

Those are rookie numbers compared to Minx. 

Spoiler

Minx has a full frontal cock montage that climaxes with helicopter cock. All shapes and sizes; young and old; all tight shots with the wang in the center of the frame. I'm sure there were some celebrity cocks in there as well. Expect that story to come out after season 1 is over.

Later in the episode, a guy comes into the office wearing a fire fighter's getup only he's nude from the waist down and his cock is hanging out. I'm sure there was some scattered cock here and there. I can't recall. It was all a bit overwhelming. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

The comic ran 72 issues over six years, and had a ton of world-building as it developed its narrative. Trying to boil that down into a 4 hour series was just crazy, and in fact I didn't realize it was just four episodes -- I was already dubious by how little of the actual story of the comic remained, but that they then cut it that far down in run time...

It's really weird. The production values are quite good and they clearly spent some money on this. Why would they kneecap it like that? This is supposed be the sort of thing HBO is good at. Imagine season 1 of Deadwood compressed into 4 episodes. 

There was also a plot point introduced early that

Spoiler

The cease fire between the United States and the Free States would end and the island would be invaded. That just seemed to fizzle out or I missed something. 

On the plus side, Rosario Dawson gives a good performance. Benjamin Bratt is also quite good as a charismatic villain. 

14 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Hide contents

Minx has a full frontal cock montage that climaxes with helicopter cock. All shapes and sizes; young and old; all tight shots with the wang in the center of the frame. I'm sure there were some celebrity cocks in there as well. Expect that story to come out after season 1 is over.

Later in the episode, a guy comes into the office wearing a fire fighter's getup only he's nude from the waist down and his cock is hanging out. I'm sure there was some scattered cock here and there. I can't recall. It was all a bit overwhelming. 

Yeah, it's more Spartacus level cocks than Oz, but with only two eps so far, it's like all the cocks from Spartacus...

...but soooo many uncut ones, poor peens (don't want to trigger another cut vs uncut thread... but they looked so cold...and more exposed). 

Still laughed at at how you can watch a woman just walking around with her boobs out and think, yeah whatever, s'ok, but as soon as there are just penises everywhere, it's hilarious. I know it's because it's uncommon, but mostly because they do look just silly. Like Elaine said "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things"

30 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Hide contents

Well, it certainly sounds like Minx' cocks are all piled up in one episode (whether or not in continues like this?) while Oz' cocks were interspersed throughout the show.

22 minutes ago, Tyria said:

Yeah, it's more Spartacus level cocks than Oz, but with only two eps so far, it's like all the cocks from Spartacus...

...but soooo many uncut ones, poor peens (don't want to trigger another cut vs uncut thread... but they looked so cold...and more exposed). 

Still laughed at at how you can watch a woman just walking around with her boobs out and think, yeah whatever, s'ok, but as soon as there are just penises everywhere, it's hilarious. I know it's because it's uncommon, but mostly because they do look just silly. Like Elaine said "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things"

Breasts have been somewhat demystified for some time. Less so female genitalia and even less so male genitalia. It's been some time since I've been but Im sure you can still go to a Mediterranean or South American beach and see titties everywhere.

I remember seeing the bottomless pool party scene from Harold and Kumar and thinking it was pretty bold. Polly Walker made an impression in the first episode of Rome. But then bewbs and vajayjay's aren't conspicuous barometers of temperature, relative humidity or arousal. 

19 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Well, it certainly sounds like Minx' cocks are all piled up in one episode (whether or not in continues like this?) while Oz' cocks were interspersed throughout the show.

I have high hopes for the remaining episodes. :thumbsup:

Archived