Ukraine: It’s starting…

Ser Scot A Ellison

Friends have been emailing, blood pressure elevated, just thinking about it.  One of them stated he believed our own events of domestic terrorism will increase markedly -- as if we don't have enough actos of domestic terrorism -- to provide support to the spread of authoritarianism, that their orange demon's boss wants.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Friends have been emailing, blood pressure elevated, just thinking about it.  One of them stated he believed our own events of domestic terrorism will increase markedly -- as if we don't have enough actos of domestic terrorism -- to provide support to the spread of authoritarianism, that their orange demon's boss wants.

Yeah… I’ve seen people advocating for a US “freedom convoy” to mirror the Canadian events.

:/

@mcbigski

@Falcon2909

@Mr Fixit

I’m still waiting to for you to tell us where you fellas have moved the goalposts?  Still claiming that this is all a bluff by Putin to show how frightened the West is?  Still claiming it’s a show by Biden to shore up his poll numbers?  

Still think this is funny?

:|

So Russia will sell its oil to China, and also bail out Cuba's lack of oil in exchange for having a base there.  So once again Cuba sells itself out to Russia because the US gave them no other choice. Except they don't have a Fidel now to hold up their own 'way' and dignitas.  Khrushchev was a pussy cat, compared to Putin. 

One of the United States political parties is openly allied with Russia.  We keep saying things have happened before, we've seen them before.  We have never seen this before.

5 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Here I am Scot. Sorry you waited for me. I was just getting my marching orders from Kremlin. 

Or you could show a modicum of intellectual honesty and allow me to have a genuine opinion even if you consider it ill-advised

Has your opinion, considering the current situation, changed?

9 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Here I am Scot. Sorry you waited for me. I was just getting my marching orders from Kremlin. 

Or you could show a modicum of intellectual honesty and allow me to have a genuine opinion even if you consider it ill-advised

I’m seeing Russian Trolls claiming “all Putin wants are the majority’Russian Speaking’ areas of Ukraine”.  Could he pattern himself a little more like the last dictator looking for Sudetenland?

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

That Russia was 100% never going to invade Ukraine.

Well, I have to admit that Russia is willing to play a more high-stakes game than I believed. I also still believe that this is unfortunately a culmination of 30 years of geopolitical blunders on all sides. 

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m seeing Russian Trolls claiming “all Putin wants are the majority’Russian Speaking’ areas of Ukraine”.  Could he pattern himself a little more like the last dictator looking for Sudetenland?

Isn't it a little early in this thread for Godwin? 

"What does Putin want? The same thing Trump sought."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/02/21/maga-foreign-policy-putin-trump-common-goals/

What does Putin want? His aims go well beyond Ukraine. As the Atlantic’s Anne Applebaum summarizes: He “wants to put so much strain on Western and democratic institutions, especially the European Union and NATO, that they break up. He wants to keep dictators in power wherever he can, in Syria, Venezuela, and Iran. He wants to undermine America, to shrink American influence, to remove the power of the democracy rhetoric that so many people in his part of the world still associate with America. He wants America itself to fail.”

Trump’s foreign policy sought to do much of what Putin wants to achieve, including intimidating Ukraine by withholding vital defensive weapons. Trump, like his role model in Moscow, favored weakening NATO, elevating dictators (from China to Turkey to North Korea to Hungary to Russia), undermining democratic elections, demonizing the media (the best check against power-hungry politicians) and finding common ground with kleptocratic-style governments.

None of this was based on America’s interest, but it was in the interest of wannabe authoritarians and illiberal regimes. As Fiona Hill, a former Trump adviser and brave witness in the former president’s first impeachment hearings, put it: "There’s no Team America for Trump. Not once did I see him do anything to put America first. Not once. Not for a single second.”

That mentality continues today among too many Republican politicians, such as Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), who seemed eager to comply with Russia’s demand to sweep Ukraine back into its sphere of influence. Same goes for characters such as Republican Ohio Senate candidate J.D. Vance, who proclaimed this weekend that he’s uninterested in the fate of our democratic ally. This is perfectly consistent with Republicans such as Sens. Ted Cruz (Tex.) and Ron Johnson (Wis.), who channeled Russia propaganda during Trump’s first impeachment inquiry.  . . . .

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Tom Snyder's newsletter (thus no url) -- history of Ukraine:

. . . . Ukraine was the deadliest place in the world during the time when Hitler and Stalin were in power, between 1933 and 1945. It was seen as a breadbasket from both Moscow and Berlin.  Collectivization of agriculture led to a political famine that killed about four million people in Soviet Ukraine in 1932-1933.  A similar desire to redirect Ukrainian food supplies animated Hitler's war planning.  The first major German mass shooting of Jews, at Kamianats' Podils'kyi, took place in Ukraine.  The largest instance of the Holocaust by bullets, at Babyn Iar, was the murder of Kyiv Jews. 

Stalin and Hitler began the Second World War as de facto allies against Poland.  In 1939, they agreed that Poland would be divided and its eastern half controlled by the USSR.  In the end, those same formerly Polish (west Ukrainian) territories were added to Soviet Ukraine in 1945, as were some lands from Czechoslovakia .  Crimea was transferred to Ukraine nine years later.  In this way, the Soviet Union formed the boundaries of Ukraine, just as it formed the boundaries of Russia, and of all of its component republics. . . . .

Russia's has established death camps in Ukraine in the past.  Putin essentially has said he'll do the same. He sure has killed a lot of Crimeans and Ukrainians in this century.

20 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

That Russia was 100% never going to invade Ukraine.

Not only that, but @Mr Fixit implied we were completely stupid for thinking russia would invade, as justified by putin saying he was withdrawing troops.

And that was 6 days ago.

I appreciate him coming back to at least claim something, but holy crap did that age badly. Maybe next time don't blindly believe the bullshit putin says?

Archived