Ukraine: It’s starting…

Ser Scot A Ellison

Has there ever been a US opponent who HASN'T sought American destruction? Those villains always seem so melodramatic in their motives. It's always "they hate us because of our way of life". I admit, it's a solid 101 villain motivation, but sometimes I'm itching for something a bit more complex in my entertainment. To stimulate discussion, maybe see things from different angles. Know thy enemy and all that. But yeah, I agree, can't really fit in 280 characters so nah. 

Russian ratings agency ACRA estimates that the country's banks imported $5 billion worth of banknotes in foreign currencies in December, up from $2.65 billion a year before, in a pre-emptive step in case of sanctions that create increased demand.

Dollars traditionally dominate such imports which, along with other currencies, many Russians like to hold as a hedge against any drop in the value of the ruble or rise in inflation, both potential outcomes of foreign sanctions. . . . .

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/21/business/russian-banks-foreign-cash-sanctions/index.html

1 minute ago, Mr Fixit said:

Has there ever been a US opponent who HASN'T sought American destruction? Those villains always seem so melodramatic in their motives. It's always "they hate us because of our way of life". I admit, it's a solid 101 villain motivation, but sometimes I'm itching for something a bit more complex in my entertainment. To stimulate discussion, maybe see things from different angles. Know thy enemy and all that. But yeah, I agree, can't really fit in 280 characters so nah. 

I’m still pissed Putin is invading Ukraine.  I’ve said nary a word about his views of the US.  Try to stay on topic, eh, this is a thread about Putin sending Russian boys to die in Ukraine.

4 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

“Never going to invade” to “Tell me when there are death camps”

Sure. 

Cause there were plenty invaders in history. Not so plenty concentration campers. So when one self-righteously invokes Godwin, it'd be best to show some discernment. 

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

to shrink American influence

im not for russia, but it is kind of "funny" to me living in the global south to read this things like "he wants to keep dictators in power", and the USA doesnt? its the hipocresy and the lack of memory that i find disturbing, the US being doing this shit for a long time, where are those threads talking about invading the usa to help US.
talking about Putin kepping dictators in Venezulea, it was very recently that the usa had plans of invation on venezuela, talking secretly with countries like argentina to support them.

is it a bad thing to shrink USA influence?, i guess not if it is russia or china who take that influence (if you are form the USA), for me and many like me there is no difference if USA or Russia has more influence, we are fucked either way.

Well, truth be told a vomiting emoji would be nice. That said, this forum is a shining microcosm of how we've found ourselves in this situation. The inability to listen to anyone who doesn't unquestioningly share every single policy point is... Well, quite something to behold. 

Very sad news for Ukraine.  Although, not a surprise.

This was the least terrible option (but still terrible) option.  And obviously, it can now lead to all the other terrible options.  

We are entering a very dangerous period.  This will affect all corners of the world.  And we still have climate change and a pandemic as ever present dark clouds over our heads.

3 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Well, truth be told a vomiting emoji would be nice. That said, this forum is a shining microcosm of how we've found ourselves in this situation. The inability to listen to anyone who doesn't unquestioningly share every single policy point is... Well, quite something to behold. 

Sorry, what policy points are you discussing? Because as far as I can tell the only thing you've wanted to discuss was how wrong we were for thinking Russia would invade and then apparently blaming us for...reasons...that we are the reason that Russia had to invade.

Just now, Kalibuster said:

Sorry, what policy points are you discussing? Because as far as I can tell the only thing you've wanted to discuss was how wrong we were for thinking Russia would invade and then apparently blaming us for...reasons...that we are the reason that Russia had to invade.

Yes, I blamed you, Kalibuster, for Russia's need to invade Ukraine. Seems about right. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Sure. 

Cause there were plenty invaders in history. Not so plenty concentration campers. So when one self-righteously invokes Godwin, it'd be best to show some discernment. 

In Ukraine's history, a large percentage of invaders and 50% of concentration campers were Russian.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Who votes to have a Russian military base 90 miles from its southern coastline, pump your fists in the air right now!

I'll sit on my hands and then wet my pants. 

In my little slice of Red saw on an empty corner lot a small MAGA group who had planted a couple of 'Let's Go Brandon' flags, at least one TRUMP 2024 flag, a Gadsen flag and another flag I couldn't read.  Wondered what brought them out, the trucker convoy, Russia, or just the noises in their heads.

32 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

2.21.22 - The Day that Westeros GenChat  finally forced Putin to invade Ukraine.  

Damn, this is... not great. For all my dislike of NATO, US foreign policy, and the media uncritically acting as a direct mouthpiece for the CIA and State Department, this is a major escalation on the part of Russia. I'm not going to go so far as to say that this is a precursor to tanks rolling into Kiev, but it does potentially signal a shift from Russia utilizing proxies to a more direct confrontational strategy. I do still think this has to be put in the context of the larget US-Russia conflict that has existed for almost 100 years.

If I thought this ended with Putin only recognizing the break away territories in the east, I wouldn't be too bothered, but I fear the whole situation is beginning to spiral and we are reaching a point of no return. I still have hope for a diplomatic solution, but it is increasingly more difficult to see how that happens.

17 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

im not for russia, but it is kind of "funny" to me living in the global south to read this things like "he wants to keep dictators in power", and the USA doesnt? its the hipocresy and the lack of memory that i find disturbing, the US being doing this shit for a long time, where are those threads talking about invading the usa to help US.
talking about Putin kepping dictators in Venezulea, it was very recently that the usa had plans of invation on venezuela, talking secretly with countries like argentina to support them.

is it a bad thing to shrink USA influence?, i guess not if it is russia or china who take that influence (if you are form the USA), for me and many like me there is no difference if USA or Russia has more influence, we are fucked either way.

It is hard for people who live within the imperial core to understand that the world order as currently constructed is not seen as a universally good thing. Because we live in such a state of relative luxury and security, the exploitation of the global south to maintain that state of luxury and security has to be ignored to avoid having to confront the utter moral bankruptcy of the narrative that we have been feed our entire lives.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Who votes to have a Russian military base 90 miles from its southern coastline, pump your fists in the air right now!

Wait, is putting bases on the borders of a rival nation a provocative move? That's wild.

4 minutes ago, Gorn said:

In Ukraine's history, a large percentage of invaders and 50% of concentration campers were Russian.

Ironically, many of the people who are now seen as national heroes of Ukrainian independence (especially in the western part of Ukraine) were Nazi collaborating fascists so.... :dunno:

41 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Yes, I blamed you, Kalibuster, for Russia's need to invade Ukraine. Seems about right. 

Ooh, more erudite policy discussion and expansion of different points of view, very edgy

49 minutes ago, Padraig said:

This was the least terrible option (but still terrible) option.  And obviously, it can now lead to all the other terrible options.  

Only what happens next and the extent of Putin's uses of his army can show it was the least terrible. If there are just border guards and the rest of the troops stay in Russia proper, with obvious threat of artillery and jet fighter if Ukrainian army attacks -, then it might be. Might still be a level of bluffing, but having recognized independence, there's no going back to Minsk 2 - and therefore this pushes Ukraine even more to be pissed off at Russia, instead of finding some kind of non-aggression deal And this also means that eventually taking out the bulk of Ukraine's military might be necessary, from a Russian point of view (or pushing the country to collapse and fragment).

Still, fucking shit. I clearly think he should've stuck to trying to negotiate and eventually meet Zelensky - poor guy was becoming quite depressed with his sinking economy without any war actually going on, and was requesting a meeting. This is very bad news.

Archived