Ukraine: It’s starting…

Ser Scot A Ellison

27 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

This isn't good. It's a short land route from there to Kyiv.

Ah, perhaps the war won’t be nearly as long as was feared(hoped)?

From what I understand Nazi Germany also was in dire financial straights before it began conquering its neighbors in the name of rebuilding its empire.

But let’s not compare Putin to Hitler.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well I'm no military planner but I'd think there'd be better staging areas than the site of a nuclear disaster.

I assume as long as you don't start using heavy artillery on the sacophargus it should be okayish.

Sort of relevant, perhaps the fact that it was lightly defended is the reason?

Defend Chernobyl During an Invasion? Why Bother, Some Ukrainians Ask.

The Ukrainian forces in the area, known as the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, would not be sufficient to rebuff an invasion, if one came; they are there mostly to detect warning signs. “We collect information about the situation along the border” and convey it to Ukraine’s intelligence agencies, Colonel Shakhraichuk said.

Two months ago, the government deployed additional forces into the area, because of increased tensions with Russia and Belarus, a Kremlin ally whose border is five miles from the stricken reactor and where Russia has recently moved troops.

I feel as though a lot of the sanctions  being promised now and cyberattack should have been made weeks if not months ago.

I know Hind-sight is the world’s exact science but perhaps it would have made Russia back off. With how smoothly the war is progressing they’ll probably be emboldened to go on until they reach their goal.

I didn't think Putin would actually go ahead with this, I don't really understand what is in it for him long term, he must know that this is not going to end well for Russia. I was half wondering if he is dying and has cancer or something.

I hope that China will not support them economically through trade but China has been pushed into a corner by western powers, relations between the US and China are at an absolute all time low so I have a very bad feeling about this.

I also expected a stronger response from the US, but obviously very complicated.

18 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well I'm no military planner but I'd think there'd be better staging areas than the site of a nuclear disaster.

It's not about a staging area, for the Russians, it's about not leaving any pockets of Ukrainian military behind their lines as they advance towards Kiev, especially one right next to their primary line of support from the north. Ukraine might not want to use it as a staging area, but if the Russians were to avoid the area because of the sarcophagus, you can be damn well sure they'd operate from it.

1 minute ago, Makk said:

I didn't think Putin would actually go ahead with this, I don't really understand what is in it for him long term, he must know that this is not going to end well for Russia. I was half wondering if he is dying and has cancer or something.

Why won't it end well for Russia? 

1 minute ago, Makk said:

I also expected a stronger response from the US, but obviously very complicated.

The former POTUS and multiple Republicans are spending most of their time lauding Putin and slamming the current POTUS. I don't know how you can expect much of a strong response from the US.

Just now, Kalibuster said:

Why won't it end well for Russia? 

It will completely alienate the current government from everyone. It will even severely damage their relations with China, even if China continues to trade with them. Their economy will be even more down the toilet in months.

2 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

The former POTUS and multiple Republicans are spending most of their time lauding Putin and slamming the current POTUS. I don't know how you can expect much of a strong response from the US.

Just to clarify, are they currently lauding Putin for the invasion? I would not have thought this would play well even to their voter base. 

2 minutes ago, Makk said:

Just to clarify, are they currently lauding Putin for the invasion? I would not have thought this would play well even to their voter base. 

Another board I have some of those drones.

I'll give you a favorite theme of theirs. Scot, I strongly advise you not to read, your lawyer brain might suffer a stroke.

What Putin is doing, is covered by international law. Read Article 1 of UN Charter. Self-determination of the people in the Donbas. He is liberating the Ukraine from a puppet goverment installed by the US. (yes, that's coming from some moron from the US, well, Texas, but close enough).

If that gives you Hitler and the Sudetenland vibes. You are not alone.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

I missed Biden's speech. What sanctions will be imposed?

Here's CNN's summary in generalities:

The biggest things missing are no kicking Russia out of SWIFT (Germany and Italy oppose it) and no sanctions on Putin himself it seems (not clear why).

8 minutes ago, Makk said:

It will completely alienate the current government from everyone. It will even severely damage their relations with China, even if China continues to trade with them. Their economy will be even more down the toilet in months.

Hah, no it won't. 

China is giddy with seeing this. They get to destabilize the West, they get to see what a Western response would be to an invasion of Taiwan, they get more buddy-buddy with Russia, and they get to show the world how democracies are not equipped to deal with these things. 

8 minutes ago, Makk said:

Literally, Trump said - TWICE - how smart and savvy Putin was for doing this. Pompeo said this just recently. Trump tells his base what to think. They don't tell him. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

The biggest things missing are no kicking Russia out of SWIFT (Germany and Italy oppose it) and no sanctions on Putin himself it seems (not clear why).

SWIFT is sorta the nuclear option, that will also hit the other side quite badly. I think it has to be done, but I can see the hesistancy.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Another board I have some of those drones.

I'll give you a favorite theme of theirs. Scot, I strongly advise you not to read, your lawyer brain might suffer a stroke.

What Putin is doing, is covered by international law. Read Article 1 of UN Charter. Self-determination of the people in the Donbas. He is liberating the Ukraine from a puppet goverment installed by the US. (yes, that's coming from some moron from the US, well, Texas, but close enough).

If that gives you Hitler and the Sudetenland vibes. You are not alone.

That is not a republican politician though is it?

Archived