Gomorrah s5

Raised by Wolves s2

The Last Duel

Succession s3

Billions s6

Ozark final season first half

DMZ

Cobra Kai s4

Fwiw have never been a huge Walking Dead fan (but it's at least watchable), so just throwing that out there right away.......

Before I add that,

Station Eleven was horrifically bad.

I would prefer to open my wrists by a long, long, long, wide margin than sit through whatever that was again.:D

Eta: My streaming services currently do not offer Yellowstone or 1883 or I'm certain they would be on my list.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, Annara Snow said:

You should finish Dark because season 3 was amazing! But it was indeed confusing and complicated - I needed a rewatch to fully understand everything that was going on. It is one of the most rewatchable shows I've ever seen - I've liked it more and more on every rewatch when I could spot all the details and parallels.
The finale was however very emotional and great even if you didn't fully understand everything that had happened before it.

Station Eleven, however, is not confusing in terms of the timeline. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

You didn't, I'm just worn out on timeline jumps.  I want to finish Dark but just can't get myself to commit.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, Annara Snow said:

Great:

6.    Love Me - Australian remake of a Swedish miniseries is a really good mature and emotional look at contemporary romance at various ages.

Agreed with this one though, I am checking it out based on you listing it here and its quite excellent and moving.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:04 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Gomorrah s5

Raised by Wolves s2

The Last Duel

Succession s3

Billions s6

Cobra Kai s4

Fwiw have never been a huge Walking Dead fan (but it's at least watchable), so just throwing that out there right away.......

Before I add that,

Station Eleven was horrifically bad.

I would prefer to open my wrists by a long, long, long, wide margin than sit through whatever that was again.:D

Eta: My streaming services currently do not offer Yellowstone or 1883 or I'm certain they would be on my list.

Succession and Yellowstone are definitely gonna be on my list , both should have new seasons out this year. Still have to start 1883.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, Calibandar said:

Succession and Yellowstone are definitely gonna be on my list , both should have new seasons out this year. Still have to start 1883.

I love Succession and really enjoy Yellowstone even if it is pulpy.

1883, after a first few jumbled episodes, turns into a story about a superhero teenage girl. There is nothing on this earth that you can think of, that she will not turn out to do better than most anyone else. Which is a shame because the actress clearly has presence but the way her character is written is just hopeless.

I finished the season mostly because Sam Elliot is in it but I'm not sure he is convinced by it himself. LaMonica Garrett is great though. Tim McGraw passable, Faith Hill is not an actress.

Just enjoyed Netflix "Against the Ice".

It's a true story of Danish Greenland explorers in 1909.

Nikolaj C-Waldau (Jaime) and Charles Dance (Tywin) are very good in their roles for this story of endurance and survival.

Eta: Meant to post this in "What are you watching" thread. Oh wells.

Yeah thats no.1 most watched on Netflix over here right now.

I'm surprised I am not seeing Euphoria season 2 on lists here, I have not seen it but its super popular and apparently HBO's most popular show since GoT.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding to my list

Great/Excellent

The Expanse season 6 - I loved the show's ending even if it was a bittersweet goodbye with the last 3rd of the book series left only in book form.

Cobra Kai season 4 - Possibly the strongest season yet, or at least the best finale. I don't know how this show keeps pulling material inspired by those quirky movies.

Station Eleven - I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out to be a superb show. A slow burns that develops strongly. Beautifully acted throughout.

Good/Really solid

Peacemaker - Much better than I expected. It was silly and highly entertaining, but with some good character moments.

Reacher - Another pleasant surprise. Nothing complex about this show, but solidly acted and executed. A generally entertaining, well paced story.

OK/No regrets watching

Beforeigners season 2 - I like the premise but the execution isn't always there; it went a bit bananas at the end.

The Book of Boba Fett - A lot of great moments packaged together in a mediocre story and fairly weak characterization. 

The Last Kingdom season 5 - a solid ending. It was better than season 4 but still had its flaws. I overall liked the actors' performances, the music and the scenery. 

Star Trek Discovery season 4  - it had a better ending than previous seasons, especially season 2, and felt more like Star Trek. But it still had plenty of the same weaknesses.

Resident Alien season 2 (1st half) - this show continues to be silly and fun. Alan Tudyk is a delight. Some of the episodes had too much filler.

Waste of time

N/A for now

Great

1. Station Eleven - Such a smartly written, beautifully acted show!

2. Yellowjackets - Nuff said I always loved Juliette Lewis, since What's Eating Gilbert Grape. But the young cast also rock.

3. The Expanse - Final season wasn't the best, but overall a worthy ending to the grat show.

Good

4. Peacemaker - Surprisingly refreshing watch.

5. Cobra Kai - This show just keeps being better and better.

6. Reacher - Pleasant surprise and iconic look of the main character.

7. Our Flag Means Death - Not as funny as I initially thought it would be, but still entertaining.

8. The Afterparty - Fun show with every episode shot in a different style and from a different point of view.

Hit and miss

9. The Book of Boba Fett - Few great episodes, but mostly just meh.

• 1 month later...

Updates

Great/Excellent

The Expanse season 6 - I loved the show's ending even if it was a bittersweet goodbye with the last 3rd of the book series left only in book form.

Cobra Kai season 4 - Possibly the strongest season yet, or at least the best finale. I don't know how this show keeps pulling material inspired by those quirky movies.

Station Eleven - I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out to be a superb show. A slow burns that develops strongly. Beautifully acted throughout.

Good/Really solid

Peacemaker - Much better than I expected. It was silly and highly entertaining, but with some good character moments.

Reacher - Another pleasant surprise. Nothing complex about this show, but solidly acted and executed. A generally entertaining, well paced story.

Moon Knight - another solid entry for the MCU shows. Amazing performance by Oscar Isaac and the supporting cast were all great. It was maybe a tad short and it's unclear if this really is a one time thing. I enjoyed the music, as well.

OK/No regrets watching

Beforeigners season 2 - I like the premise but the execution isn't always there; it went a bit bananas at the end.

The Book of Boba Fett - A lot of great moments packaged together in a mediocre story and fairly weak characterization. 

The Last Kingdom season 5 - a solid ending. It was better than season 4 but still had its flaws. I overall liked the actors' performances, the music and the scenery. 

Star Trek Discovery season 4  - it had a better ending than previous seasons, especially season 2, and felt more like Star Trek. But it still had plenty of the same weaknesses.

Resident Alien season 2 (1st half) - this show continues to be silly and fun. Alan Tudyk is a delight. Some of the episodes had too much filler.

Yellowstone season 4 - I binged watched the first 3 seasons late last year then jumped into season 4 in January. I was hesitant to go into a crime drama style story about cattle ranchers, as both subjects never interested me much. But the show has solid performances and an enthralling setting and plot. That being said, it started to slip in season 4, and again, I can't relate to the life of a cowboy and rodeo guy, so the showrunner constantly shoehorning that stuff in the story reduces my level on interest.

Outlander season 6 - a short season that felt transitional, possibly because of pandemic scheduling; some interesting new characters, but the plot continued to be so-so. Still has gorgeous visuals and good music.

Waste of time/Disappointing

Star Trek: Picard season 2 - Weak plot, weak protagonist, hardly felt like Star Trek.

Outer Range - had promise and some good performances, but it just went bonkers. I only finished it because the middle episodes were decent enough so I gave it a chance.

Edit: forgot to add Yellowstone.

Great

- Station Eleven - Such a smartly written, beautifully acted show!

- Severance - Very fresh idea, and great performances from all main characters.

Yellowjackets - Nuff said I always loved Juliette Lewis, since What's Eating Gilbert Grape. But the young cast also rock.

- The Expanse - Final season wasn't the best, but overall a worthy ending to the grat show.

Good

- Minx - I liked it a lot, even if it didn't end on a particularly high note, and even if accumulation of dicks on screen per hour was slightly above my tolerance. 

- Hacks - Great performance by Jean Smart, the role she always deserved.

- Peacemaker - Surprisingly refreshing watch.

- Cobra Kai - This show just keeps being better and better.

- Resident Alien - It's just the half of the second season, but it's alrerady obvious it's still charming and funny as always.

- Reacher - Pleasant surprise and iconic look of the main character.

- Moon Knight - I really like both Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac, so they would have to do a terrible job to ruin this one for me.

Our Flag Means Death - Not as funny as I initially thought it would be, but still entertaining.

- The Afterparty - Fun show with every episode shot in a different style and from a different point of view.

Hit and miss

- The Book of Boba Fett - Few great episodes, but mostly just meh.

• 2 months later...

It's been...wow, 5 months since my last list? Major update, with 15 shows added, of which 13 from 2022:

1.     Barry season 3 – the best current show on TV, it continued to be both a hilarious comedy (especially in its satire of the TV/streaming business) and a devastating, dark character-based drama

2.     Station Eleven

3.     The Expanse season 6

[Pushing Daisies (2007-2009)] – quirky, with a unique and colorful visual style, the fastest dialogue ever and a plenty of references to Hitchcock and old cinema in general, Bryan Fuller’s sadly short-loved, cult fantasy dramedy is one of the most unique shows ever created

[Succession season 2-3 (2019, 2021)] – it may be classified as drama at Emmys due to the episode length, but this is one of the best satirical comedies ever about a bunch of dysfunctional, hilarious and awful rich a-hole character

4.     Peacemaker

5.     The Cleaning Lady season 1 -  I thought the premise of this show sounded dumb. Boy was I wrong. This crime drama, which also touches on issues of immigration and racism, has no business being this good.

6.     Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 1 – The best first season of a Trek show ever… which, I know, is not saying much by itself, but SNW is indeed great right from the start. It goes back to the basics of what made the original Trek and TNG beloved, while modernizing it in all the right ways.

7.     Made for Love season 2 – This SciFi dramedy got even more disturbing in season 2, before getting cancelled right when it had become more  interesting than ever.

8.     The Wilds season 2 – The show kept it fresh with the new concept and a new group of characters with their interesting backstories and even more tense interpersonal dynamics, while still following the old group, and tying it all up and setting up a season 3 which should be even more interesting.

9.     The Last Kingdom season 5 – A satisfying end (not counting the upcoming time-jump movie) to this big period saga, with every character getting a good development and/or send-off, so I can forgive departures from history/overdramatizations of some historical moments, and the unrealistic lack of aging of the characters.

10.  Upload season 2 – another, less dark SciFi dramedy (with similarly disturbing concepts but more optimistic characterizations and dynamics) with a good season 2.

11.  Our Flag Means Death season 1 – started off so-so, this intentionally historically inaccurate pirate romantic comedy got better and better as it went on, delivering both laughs and poignant moments, and winning major points (and the love of Tumblr) by showing you can just have actual m/m love stories instead of queerbaiting.

12.  4400 season 1

13.  Women of the Movement

14.  Love Me season 1

15.  Yellowjackets season 1

16.  After Life season 3 – a touching end to Ricky Gervais’ Netflix dramedy about grief and overcoming depression.

17.  Pistol – sure, not everything about Danny Boyle’s miniseries about Sex Pistols – based on Steve Jones’ memoir and from his POV – may be entirely accurate, there are some liberties for dramatic purposes, but overall it is an engaging portrayal of the UK society of the late 1970s, the social climate and the punk scene, and a new and different look at the rise and fall of the band, with the actors doing a great job of bringing the major players to life (especially Lydon and McLaren).

18.  Obi-Wan Kenobi – solid miniseries that manages to deliver fanservice but also fit into the canon and fill some gaps in the story during the time between the prequels and the original trilogy – but while perfectly OK, and elevated by Ewan McGregor’s acting, it doesn’t feel particularly meaningful or necessary.

19.  Euphoria season 1 + specials + season 2 – I binged season 1 (very promising, though with issues) and the two specials (excellent) in January; season 2, which aired this year, started off well but soon proved to be quite a disappointment, with some of the most interesting characters sidelined and most interesting plots dropped (apparently all due to BTS drama) and most of the characters getting unsatisfactory arcs. Zendaya’s storyline and more development for a couple of minor characters were the only saving graces.

20.  Star Trek: Picard season 2 – similar to season 1, season 2 was again a satisfying character piece, with, unfortunately, a very disappointing plot.

21.  Stay Close

DNF: The Book of Boba Fett - dropped it after two episodes because I was bored.

• 3 months later...

It's been 3 months since the last update! High time to do this.

Great:

1.     Barry season 3

2.     House of the Dragon season 1  - Sure, the time skips were awkward - but unavoidable - and there were some flaws (especially cinematography-related), but nothing compared to all the things it did right, adapting a book that's very different and much harder to adapt than the main series and requires so much more work on developing characterizations and dialogue - and yet it feels much more like ASOAIF than GoT did, with its dialogue, lore, costumes and styling and lack of dumbing things down. The characters were all fleshed out compared to the bare bones of the 'historical' narrative of F&B, and the performances phenomenal. This is a massive achiement

3.     Station Eleven

4.     The Expanse season 6

[Pushing Daisies (2007-2009)]

[Succession season 2-3 (2019, 2021)]

5.     Peacemaker

Excellent:

6.     The Cleaning Lady season 1 (I'm watching season 2 now)

7.     Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 1

8.     Made for Love season 2

9.     The Wilds season 2

10.  The Last Kingdom season 5

11.  Upload season 2

12.  Our Flag Means Death season 1

13.  4400 season 1

14.  Women of the Movement

15.  Love Me season 1

16.  Yellowjackets season 1

17.  Becoming Elizabeth season 1 Unlike most of the Starz Tudor-era and Wars of the Roses- era period drama drivel, this was an actually excellent, historically accurate and compelling drama. And it sadly got cancelled

OK:

18.  After Life season 3 .

19.  Pistol

Meh:

20.  Billy the Kid season 1 - By the numbers Western drama that doesn't really do anything particularly interesting, but it was worth watching for the amazingly charismatic lead actor Tom Blyth (who will be the lead in the upcoming The Hunger Games prequel, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in a much better story).

21.  Obi-Wan Kenobi 

22.  Euphoria season 1 + specials + season 2

23.  Star Trek: Picard season 2

24.  Stay Close

DNF: The Book of Boba Fett

On 2/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Gomorrah s5

Raised by Wolves s2

The Last Duel

Succession s3

Billions s6

DMZ

Cobra Kai s4

Update- I would add HotD below Gomorrah and add Against the Ice after Succession.

Im sure im forgetting something bbl.

Ah here it is ETA:

They have remade "All Quiet on the Western Front"

Its very good, streaming on Netflix currently

• 2 months later...

The last list I'll post in 2022. 

Additions in red.

1.     Barry season 3

2.     House of the Dragon season 1

3.     1899 season 1 (2022)

4.     Station Eleven

5.     The Expanse season 6

[Pushing Daisies (2007-2009)]

[Succession season 2-3 (2019, 2021)]

6.     Interview with the Vampire season 1

7.     Peacemaker

8.     Evil season 3

9.     The Cleaning Lady season 1

10.  Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 1

11.  Made for Love season 2

12.  The Wilds season 2

13.  The Last Kingdom season 5

14.  Upload season 2

15.  Our Flag Means Death season 1

16.  4400 season 1

17.  Women of the Movement

18.  Love Me season 1

19.  Yellowjackets season 1

20.  Becoming Elizabeth season 1

21.  After Life season 3

22.  Pistol

23.  Only Murders in the Building season 2

24.  Billy the Kid season 1

25.  Obi-Wan Kenobi

26.  Euphoria season 1 + specials + season 2

27.  Star Trek: Picard season 2

28.  Stay Close

DNF: The Book of Boba Fett

It's been a while since I posted here. My final, hopefully complete list. While my list doesn't have a numerical order, I can say without a doubt that Andor is my #1 show of the year.

Great/Excellent

Andor season 1 – this show had no business being so damn excellent. Why this, with a character no one cared for when it was first announced?

Cobra Kai season 4 & 5 - Has there been another show with two full seasons in a year in recent memory? Anyway, both were great, season 4 maybe a tad more than 5.

Station Eleven - I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out to be a superb show. A slow burn that develops strongly. Beautifully acted throughout.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds – Star Trek finally got back to some quality episodic Trek. Greatly enjoyed it.

Good/Really solid

House of the Dragon season 1 – too many episodes had weird/bad endings to really put in the above category, but overall, a well written, produced, and acted show. My expectations were surpassed after GoT’s dud of an ending.

Reacher - Another pleasant surprise. Nothing complex about this show, but solidly acted and executed. A generally entertaining, well-paced story.

Moon Knight - another solid entry for the MCU shows. Amazing performance by Oscar Isaac and the supporting cast were all great.

Stranger Things 4 – ST returned with movie length episodes to deliver a fairly exciting season with great music and a more interesting villain.

The Sandman – not familiar with the comics; a couple of superb episodes, one or two meh episodes, and the rest pretty good. Overall, I enjoyed it.

The Derry Girls season 3 – a joyous, heartfelt farewell to this surprisingly entertaining show.

The Boys season 3 – the finale was a bit underwhelming, but the rest of the season was still pretty good.

The Legend of Vox Machina season 1 – I’m neither a D&D guy, nor an anime fan, but this show was highly entertaining. I’m glad I gave it a chance.

His Dark Materials season 3 – a solid final season with good character moments, and great music and visuals.

OK/No regrets watching

The Last Kingdom season 5 - the ending was fine. It was better than season 4 but still had its flaws. I overall liked the actors' performances, the music, and the scenery. 

Star Trek Discovery season 4 - it had a better ending than previous seasons, especially season 2, and felt more like Star Trek. But it still had plenty of the same weaknesses.

Resident Alien season 2 - this show continues to be silly and fun. Alan Tudyk is a delight. Some of the episodes had too much filler.

Yellowstone season 4 and part of season 5 – After binging the first three seasons, I would say the show started to slip in season 4, and I simply can't relate to the life of a cowboy and rodeo guy, so the showrunner constantly shoehorning that stuff in the story reduces my interest level.

Outlander season 6 - a short season that felt transitional, possibly because of pandemic scheduling; some interesting new characters, but the plot continued to be so-so. Still has gorgeous visuals and good music.

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi – animated shorts, so not much here other than it adds a bit more depth to two well known characters from the universe. Great music.

The Umbrella Academy season 3 – a bit disappointing, but still entertaining in general.

Halo – not much familiarity with the game world, so thought it was OK.

Jack Ryan season 3 – just OK. I expected more from this. The show is on a downhill slope.

Obi-Wan Kenobi – the finale saved this show enough for me to not put it in the bottom category. Poor execution, meh story.

Ms. Marvel – not bad, a lot of nice little moments, a good family show in the MCU universe, but a fairly thin plot.

Waste of time/Disappointing

The Rings of Power season 1 – not entirely terrible, but considering the source material, the budget, the scope, this badly paced story cannot be anything else but disappointing.

Star Trek: Picard season 2 - Weak plot, weak protagonist, hardly felt like Star Trek.

The Book of Boba Fett - A lot of great moments packaged together in a mediocre story and weak characterization. 

Outer Range - had promise and some good performances, but it just went bonkers. I only finished it because the middle episodes were decent enough, so I gave it a chance.

The Terminal List – nothing special here; generic badass special forces guy revenge story.

She-Hulk – this show tried something quirky and unique. Unfortunately, between the bad visuals and writing so lazy they knew they just had to mock it within the show, it didn’t really land for me.

Willow – I think there a couple of episodes left in the season, but I’ve already nearly given up twice. What a disappointment. The approach of this show is not for me, no idea who the intended audience is.

Do we start a new thread for 2023 immedately, or do we keep posting updated lists here with the leftover shows from 2022, as we did before?

I have several 2022 shows to finish (The Sandman, Severance, Harley Quinn, What We Do in the Shadows, Paper Girls, The Boys, The Midnight Club, The Umbrella Academy).

Archived