Ukraine- War.

Ser Scot A Ellison

Anyone know what the main political opposition in Ukraine is saying? I know there's been plenty of talk about Ukraine being united against Russian aggression, but considering that one of Putin's main goals is to take down the current government, I'm just wondering how active the opposition is in terms of supporting their own people.

My friend in Poland just told me that she's getting texts from some sort of emergency system stating that there is no gas in gas stations and no cash in ATMs. Seems like many people there think Putin won't stop once he gets Kiev. 

Several reports now that Ukrainian forces have recaptured the airport, forcing the Russians to retreat. A temporary setback, most likely, but an important symbolic victory. The Russians are not having it all their own way.

Slovakia has opened its borders and said it will all all refugees to cross the border, even without a passport. The Romanian river crossing at Isaccea has now said the same thing, as the Danube crossing from Orlivka is still running (for now).

Portugal has declared it will take all refugees as well, though obviously they're not quite in the same level of proximity.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Yeah it's quite heartening to see.

Indeed. Won't lie, got emotional seeing that. And over, like, 1700 hundred arrests across the various protests already.

Very sobering 24 hours for me. Anxiously riveted.   

---

Oddly [I hope this digression isn't disrespectful] I'm reminded of a funny video I saw a year or so ago, where some clown put up a huge portrait of Putin in a Russian apartment complex's elevator, along with a hidden camera.   

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Several reports now that Ukrainian forces have recaptured the airport, forcing the Russians to retreat. A temporary setback, most likely, but an important symbolic victory. The Russians are not having it all their own way.

Sorry, trying to catch up on events, but is this Hostomel airport? The Ukrainian advisor to the President clarified that it is still being contested with ongoing fighting, last I heard. Regardless, it is heartening to see pushback.

42 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Some context: I've read elsewhere that the Ukrainan minister of defence has stated that there is still fighting going on, but the Russian troops are pinned down and their large planes can't come in to bring heavier equipment and more troops. The Russians at the airport are paratroopers/"spetsnaz" who came in by helicopter, they are way ahead of the Russian ground forces that are invading from Belarus. It's very important for Ukraine to stop the Russians from clearing the airport enough to allow the large planes to land and bring direct reinforcements.

It does seem that the Ukraine forces have artillery and tanks against the paras, so at first sight it does look a bit Market Garden like ('an airport too far')?

Sweden and Finland should join NATO, like right now. While the Russians are still busy killing their "brothers".

3 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Sweden and Finland should join NATO, like right now. While the Russians are still busy killing their "brothers".

I can't conceive any world where Finland in particular has a stronger motivation.

Just now, Ivan Tsarevich said:

Our president, Niinistö, has just recently commented that joining NATO isn't that fast process. (I'm a Finn, if that needs to be clarified.)

If Sweden and Finland declared an overt desire to join NATO that would be the opposite of what Putin wants.

6 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Some context: I've read elsewhere that the Ukrainan minister of defence has stated that there is still fighting going on, but the Russian troops are pinned down and their large planes can't come in to bring heavier equipment and more troops. The Russians at the airport are paratroopers/"spetsnaz" who came in by helicopter, they are way ahead of the Russian ground forces that are invading from Belarus. It's very important for Ukraine to stop the Russians from clearing the airport enough to allow the large planes to land and bring direct reinforcements.

It does seem that the Ukraine forces have artillery and tanks against the paras, so at first sight it does look a bit Market Garden like ('an airport too far')?

Reminds me of something that happened in my country in WWII, destruction of 500th SS Parachute Battalion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rösselsprung_(1944)

Archived