Ukraine- War.

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 minute ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I was not trying to offer a moral review of the conflict, and apportioning blame. I do blame Putin, and I hope he gets fucked. 

It is easy for us to say that hope Ukranians bleed the invaders, when we are not the ones bleeding. For the civilians, I do hope violence ends soon. Because they are going to suffer, and that is terrible.

Indeed.  I fear for the people of Ukraine when the stand up fight ends.

5 minutes ago, IFR said:

Disturbances in the topsoil by military equipment such as tanks definitely would account for an elevation of background radiation. The principal radioisotopes of contamination are cesium-137 and strontium-90, which are found in the soil (also in plants). This doesn't pose a wider concern because it is within an area restricted to the public, and the diffusion of topsoil with a dose rate of  just ~10 mSv is going to quickly dilute to normal background.

According to the IAEA, is within operational range.

Would topsoil disturbances account for sensors inside buildings also giving off higher readings? Because that was the pushback I saw from some people.

Just asking. I've no idea. But the idea of things going bad again at Chernobyl is terrifying.

Ukraine and the Ukrainian people have no good options.  I can have my own opinion of what the least bad option is, but I don't really know much, and I'm always going to be biased by what I think is better for the world (IE me). 

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Indeed.  I fear for the people of Ukraine when the stand up fight ends.

Honestly, it is fucking disgusting to me that there are people sitting here hoping that it drags on, and on. 

If it drags on and on, we will see thousands of casualties, thousands of refugees, hopes and dreams destroyed. A young generation in tatters. That's what we want? Really? What the fuck is wrong with us, if that is what we want?

4 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Honestly, it is fucking disgusting to me that there are people sitting here hoping that it drags on, and on. 

If it drags on and on, we will see thousands of casualties, thousands of refugees, hopes and dreams destroyed. A young generation in tatters. That's what we want? Really? What the fuck is wrong with us, if that is what we want?

I wish I could wave my hand and withdraw our lust for power and control.  I wish I could wave my hand and take away our delight in suffering and pain.  I wish I could wave my hand and make everyone feel empathy for everyone else.  

We are so very broken.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I wish I could wave my hand and withdraw our lust for power and control.  I wish I could wave my hand and take away our delight in suffering and pain.  I wish I could wave my hand and make everyone feel empathy for everyone else.  

We are so very broken.

My blood is a bit up today. I know quite a few people affected by this directly.

One of my friends went home to Ukraine a few weeks ago to help his parents out, and his wife's family.

1 minute ago, Lord of Oop North said:

My blood is a bit up today. I know quite a few people affected by this directly.

One of my friends went home to Ukraine a few weeks ago to help his parents out, and his wife's family.

I have a close friend on his way to Europe… that’s all I can say.

Russia is also warning that Finland joining NATO would 'have serious military and political repercussions' and have indicated the same is true of Sweden. Even if we take that as an empty threat, I can't recall such rhetoric being used in the past, certainly not at such a charged moment. 

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Invasion not going as smoothly as he anticipated?

Would be better for that liberator horseshit he is trying to spin, if Ukrainians were to dispose of their goverment instead of the Russian invaders. That's my reading, at least.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

Russia is also warning that Finland joining NATO would 'have serious military and political repercussions' and have indicated the same is true of Sweden. Even if we take that as an empty threat, I can't recall such rhetoric being used in the past, certainly not at such a charged moment. 

Will Russia invade Finland and Sweden to ^“end genocides”^ there too?

:|

30 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

While i agree, and I feel ashamed that part of me doesn't want it to be a quick surrender by Ukraine, to save lives.

Long term, it cannot be a good thing if someone like Putin can walk into a country and push it around with Tanks and guns and just get what he wants. If there are seen to be no real consequences for what are absolutely unacceptable actions then what happens next. It already happened with Georgia and Crimea, and pretty much all the other shit Putin has been playing for years. Its absolutely unbelievable he's been so blatantly getting away with it. 

36 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Same. Got quite a few Ukrainian friends from my trip there a few years ago and the fighting is happening in the town I stayed at. Horrible situation.

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I don't want to theorize where are you from, but I can tell you how Eastern Europe works for the most part. If you take my country, Romania, it has a big hungarian minority. Technically speaking, this minority with hungarian population dominating some regions of the country should have autonomous rights. Such autonomous rights are required to be fulfilled to be, for example part of the European Union (and Romania is totally part of the EU despite this). Yet, when in 2019, news came that one of the major romanian parties may vote in the parlament in favor of autonomy for the Szekler regions (3 counties in total), the ruling government and the prime minister openly called this party traitors of the country and the nation. It may be everyday tales of injustice to you, but it is the reality we live in to us. 12% of people voted for a party that openly and regularly states the hungarian minority should be deported from the country, solely for recognising themselves as part of a different nation (and living as such). And Romania is a progressive country compared to Ukraine or most Eastern European countries. (I would argue the younger generation is pretty chill about the hungarian minority tho. I have many romanian friends, and the worst I've met in younger generations are some offensive jokes.)

How do there being anti-Hungarian nationalists with 12% of the vote in Romania prove that the leader of Ukraine is a fascist/Nazi? Your argument is literally 'well it's quite bad here so it must be worse there' and even if that were true it still wouldn't prove your assertion.

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

While i agree, and I feel ashamed that part of me doesn't want it to be a quick surrender by Ukraine, to save lives.

Long term, it cannot be a good thing if someone like Putin can walk into a country and push it around with Tanks and guns and just get what he wants. If there are seen to be no real consequences for what are absolutely unacceptable actions then what happens next. It already happened with Georgia and Crimea, and pretty much all the other shit Putin has been playing for years. Its absolutely unbelievable he's been so blatantly getting away with it. 

I agree, it is complicated. I do too hope the Russian forces are defeated. They are the aggressors after all. Putin needs to face consequences for this, which it seems like he might not. The lunatic was threatening nuclear war earlier if anyone stopped him. Fuck him.

But a long drawn out conflict that inflicts casualties on the Russian forces almost certainly means an intense occupation, urban warfare, perhaps an insurgency. In that scenario, it is guaranteed there will be significantly more Ukranian casualties than Russians.

That certainly is not good for the Ukrainian people.

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

I feel like he's behaved sufficiently aggressively now that the response to him trying to expand these demand is to tell him to go fuck himself and fast track NATO membership for anyone that wants in now before he gets more breathing room.

Yes it's risky, but I think letting this be repeated is probably riskier. And it's clearly the only option for trying to defend countries from Putin.

3 hours ago, A wilding said:

It is easy to point out strategic mistakes in retrospect. But at the time the UK and France needed time to get themselves ready, while significant Polish resistance collapsed quickly, And again, an arguable strategic error is hardly a failure to react strongly.

Not to mention Churchill was already begging the foot dragging Roosevelt for resources to help with the fight. Roosevelt didn't have the full cooperation of Congress for aid/arms early on. Had the lend/lease type programs started earlier the Europeans would've been in a stronger position. Our inaction early on played a role in the allies lack of strength during the crucial early conflict, pointing one or two fingers at what France or Britain did or didn't do leaves 3 or 4 fingers squarely pointed back at the U.S.

And btw, the Canadians were first in the fight from America, preceding the U.S.

1 hour ago, IFR said:

Disturbances in the topsoil by military equipment such as tanks definitely would account for an elevation of background radiation. The principal radioisotopes of contamination are cesium-137 and strontium-90, which are found in the soil (also in plants). This doesn't pose a wider concern because it is within an area restricted to the public, and the diffusion of topsoil with a dose rate of  just ~10 mSv is going to quickly dilute to normal background.

According to the IAEA, is within operational range.

Not good, not terrible

Archived